Why become a member? ×

Looks cool, plays crap...

SingleFish

Was just wondering if anyone else here has ever bought a bass that looked a lot better than it was easy to play. Of course, this is all down to personal opinion, but I've always thought Thunderbirds looked cool as f***. I had one for about a year or so, and did not really enjoy playing on it at all. Found it quite neck-heavy, with a slightly wider neck than was comfortable. Been a Fender man for a good few years now, but will always have a soft spot for the T-Bird shape. I can mind seeing a Supersuckers video where the singer/bassist had a Les Paul-style bass, wonder what that was like to riff on...

Every Rickenbacker I've ever tried or owned.

I love Thunderbirds visually, but I'm in the process of making my second Fenderbird (this time with a Lakland neck, so I suppose it'll technically be a Laklandbird) as I prefer the ergonomics.

Wasn't too happy with my classic T Bird last week but since I've set it up properly I like it ... The neck is ok on mine. The bass I'm sorry I got is a Hofner Ignition Beatles Bass... Looks cool but really don't like it..it rattles and buzzes even with a high action and I don't like the short scale either .... For sale :-D

Goes without saying this is all a personal preference thing(and of course this is assuming they've been properly set up and not just left with the mile-high action they were shipped with), but I've had the same with T-birds, love the look but hate the neck... I've owned two so far and will probably end up buying more, even though the necks are a nightmare.

Modern Player Jag bass was a pain too, gorgeous looking thing but a really chunky neck, I played one expecting a Geddy Lee type job and was let down a tad.

Warwick basses I've tried have also been a huge disappointment- the necks are lovely and thin, but too deep(?) of a C shape to be comfortable without drastically altering technique, like an exaggerated Rickenbacker. *ducks for cover* :ph34r:

Best necks I've ever tried... was going to write a list but actually they're all Fenders so you've already got an idea of the kind of stuff I mean B). Just not the MP Jag.

An Epiphone EB-3, the sound was rubbish and the neck dive made for a most uncomfortable playing experience, it was a massive strain on my fretting hand/arm to fret notes AND hold the neck up. Also I found that it didn't look right at any playing position, especially when I wore a long strap on it. I only had it because I'd lent my (now ex) girlfriend some money, and she bought me the bass for the amount that she owed me. I think I'd rather have had the cash than that piece of garbage. I sold it to a fellow BCer for a hundred quid, and was glad to see the back of it.

My Rickenbacker 4003... initially. I really struggled to get used to its shape and style after using P basses since I started playing. Once I took off the pickup cover it became a lot easier to play. Then I started to develop a floating right hand which actually improved my technique on the rest of my basses (up until then I'd anchor my thumb to one spot). It's a very playable bass now but certainly no Fender!

Really wanted a Warwick back in the early 90s but hated the neck.
Never played a Rickenbacker I've liked, they look really cool though.
Steinberger / Hohner stick basses, neat design but hangs wrong, uncomfortable when sitting down, shame.
Gus Basses with the chrome round the edge, slips over if you play it sitting down and needs a rubber stick on strip to fix it. Although I still think they look like an accident in a sausage factory.

The older G3s had a neck like a baseball bat. Which is handy. In baseball.

Not sure if it played crap, as a result - I'll admit, all Gibson basses seemingly have their foibles, and in many cases look crap - but they all seem to have something special when plugged in.

Could just be me, mind - am back in love with the brand! :lol:

Ooh, not a lot of love for Rickenbackers in this topic...

Ironically, I've been using my 4003S as my main bass for a few months now, and the other day at rehearsal swapped back to my '79 Precision - my first thought: "feels a bit uncomfortable and odd..."

And yes, I do still have the pickup cover on the Rickenbacker - it's a magnetic horseshoe, so I can't remove it.

I'd probably go for:

Warwick Thumb (the ones with the club necks)
Fender American Vintage 75 Jazz (one that was terribly set up)
Any 'vintage' Fender that has been poorly set up
Musicman Stingray (never liked the neck shape)
Wal Mark I (same)

I love the sound of a MM Stingray. By far my favourite bass tone, but I just can't live with the necks for some reason...both on the 4 and 5 string models. The Shuker Uberhorn that Jon is building for me should sound close to a real MM Stingray, but with a neck that I prefer to play.

[quote name='SingleFish' timestamp='1366894102' post='2058650']
Was just wondering if anyone else here has ever bought a bass that looked a lot better than it was easy to play. Of course, this is all down to personal opinion, but I've always thought Thunderbirds looked cool as f***. I had one for about a year or so, and did not really enjoy playing on it at all. Found it quite neck-heavy, with a slightly wider neck than was comfortable. Been a Fender man for a good few years now, but will always have a soft spot for the T-Bird shape. I can mind seeing a Supersuckers video where the singer/bassist had a Les Paul-style bass, wonder what that was like to riff on...
[/quote]

I feel your pain re: Thunderbirds.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/126202-disappointed-and-disillsutioned/page__hl__bassman%20sam"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/126202-disappointed-and-disillsutioned/page__hl__bassman%20sam[/url]