Why become a member? ×

Volume boost for solos?

karlfer

Ok,I decided to ask here rather than in the Tech bit, hoping for as big and audience as possible. My basses sound good in the mix of the band (basses, not playing :P ) however, I do a lead part in "You really got me" and I do about 40 seconds of Jaco's version of Blackbird followed by barre chords intro to "Doctor Doctor" ( quiet, the punters love the numbers! :blush: ).
The bass just does not sound really powerful and in your face when I do these parts despite it being heard very well in the mix. I currently do not use any pedals/effects of any kind.
Is there some kind of pedal that will just give me that extra decibel, or is it just turn amp up then back down again?
Answers here and not on a postcard please.
Thanks in advance peeps.
Karl.

Edited by karlfer

Coupla approaches among many:

* Buy an eq pedal*. Push up the mids. Stomp it on for your solos.

* Boost pedal - [i]loads [/i]around. Some offer lots of adjustable parameters, some are just one knob, turn it up or down.

Some boosters are 'transparent' - ie they don't change your 'tone' just make it louder. Or there are other boost pedals which are 'coloured' - e.g. they might add a bit of 'grunt' or distortion. Among various pedals, EHX also make (made) a thing called the Mole (one-knob solution) designed for bass. Never tried it, but someone here might have.

[size=3]* Beaten to it by SlapbassSteve[/size]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1366547879' post='2053782']...Is there some kind of pedal that will just give me that extra decibel, or is it just turn amp up then back down again?...[/quote]

Good afternoon, Karl...

Being something of a minimalist, myself, I think I would adopt the 'volume knob' approach, starting the set with the volume backed off by about 20%, and turning up to full for the solo spots. One could also 'dig in' a tad harder, which can be increase enough, sometimes.
Hope this helps.

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1366556669' post='2053958']
I never keep the dials all the way for this reason. It's good to have headroom when you need a boost. .
[/quote]

Yep, this is what I do, along with hitting the strings a little harder when needed.

Jas

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1366552586' post='2053865']

Good afternoon, Karl...

Being something of a minimalist, myself, I think I would adopt the 'volume knob' approach, starting the set with the volume backed off by about 20%, and turning up to full for the solo spots. One could also 'dig in' a tad harder, which can be increase enough, sometimes.
Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Here's your solution and it won't cost you a penny. He means the vol knob on your bass not the amp. Just turn your bass's vol down a bit, turn the amp up a bit to get your regular level. When your solo bits come up just turn your bass's vol knob up. Easy :)

For me I`d go the equaliser route, purely as I`d be unlikely to be able to gauge the volume control on the bass accurately. Plus, frequency here I think is the key - adding those mids in will really helps with the strength of sound, make it sound much more aggressive.

Many thanks folks, but this rather seems to have helped :D
[URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/DSCF0196_zps8d863005.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/DSCF0196_zps8d863005.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='bagsieblue' timestamp='1367182587' post='2062382']
Karl,

Two things:
1 - They let you do solo's?? - and 40 seconds worth???
2 - Stunning bass...
[/quote]
Cheers Martyn, it is bloody amazing. AND I'm up to 1.5 minutes now with a Billy Sheehan piece :lol:

I get a short solo in two bands, one has punters asking for slap (its in Play That Funky Music) and so up goes the treble control on the 'Ray, the other is an original piece with a Stanley Clarkesque type break, up goes the mid control. That's it, volume stays the same.

This is another of those questions that is impossible to answer definitively without actually hearing the piece.
Everyone is suggesting a pedal, or having a bit of volume in reserve - these are fine suggestions and may well work, but let's not overlook the 'old fashioned way'... have a word with the rest of your band and see if they can't back it off a bit while you're playing your 'lead part'. 'Dynamics' could be your friend here.

Respect Steve, I know some of your CV. Cheers 4 Strings, whilst I don't slap, some of what you are saying is working out with this phenominal bass. I tend to use chords or tapping on the solo parts but the actives on this bass just make it so easy to put the final part of eq boost to do what I need. Must admit, the lead part rather than the solo would benefit from the othe ham fists backing off just a tad :lol:

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1367188236' post='2062457']
This is another of those questions that is impossible to answer definitively without actually hearing the piece.
Everyone is suggesting a pedal, or having a bit of volume in reserve - these are fine suggestions and may well work, but let's not overlook the 'old fashioned way'... have a word with the rest of your band and see if they can't back it off a bit while you're playing your 'lead part'. 'Dynamics' could be your friend here.
[/quote]

This.....

is all that is required...