Why become a member? ×

The Police

xilddx

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1366583005' post='2054594']
What pisses me off is that they were "The Police" and then it became "Sting and the Police", which make think he's an arrogant self opinionated twat.
[/quote]
Not to my knowledge they didn't. Who told you that mate?

What pisses me off is that they were "The Police" and then it became "Sting and the Police", which make think he's an arrogant self opinionated twat.
[/quote]

Are you sure that wasn't just an album?

A mixture of Police stuff and Sting solo stuff?

[quote name='iconic' timestamp='1366577305' post='2054455']
S'funny....i was thinking what great timing mr sting has only yesterday....walking in the moon...simple tune....but i find the timing so hard.
[/quote]
You just need to relax into it, it's honestly not hard. It's got a kind of accented 16th note triplet feel, helped by Copeland's drum patterns, 1 and a 2 and a 3 and a 4 etc. If you think of it like that when you play it you can get that sort of relaxed yet urgent feel.

[quote name='stu_g' timestamp='1366502490' post='2053376']
i read his biography recently and it was actually a really enjoyable book and i rarely read books
and the police did some good stuff
[/quote]I read his bio when it first came out. Made me want to puke.

Very talented man, snake charmer, some might say, but as Nige first pointed out, a total narshole.

Humans, hey? You can't kill 'em?

By the way, I have all The Police albums on Vinyl. He was that good...before I realised he was a twat. :unsure:

these guys have written some of my all time favourites. all three are great gifted musicians. I love copeland, like a lot of stuff sting did on his own, but somehow summers style is not my cup of tea + I never heard him do a solo that I liked.

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1366586939' post='2054650']
He was that good...before I realised he was a twat. :unsure:
[/quote]

Many "famous" people are not exactly best mate material. That doesn't mean you can't appreciate what they do/have done.

I think the Police were very much "of their time". And at that time they were brilliant. Some of their stuff stands up pretty well now too! :)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1366501178' post='2053363']
I never forget how wonderful this band is. Endless inspiration for me. I can never understand why Sting gets such a slagging, apart from being a bit of a narcissistic tool.

[/quote]

I don't like 3 piece bands in general...unless they really have something to say, but you can exclude the Police from that, for the most part.
I much prefer his later work and agree he does come across a bit... but his body of work is great.
I'd still pay to see him...

I liked/like them a lot. I was lucky enough to see them at the Odeon in Hammersmith back in 79.
I thought Sting turned into an even more pretentious git at some point, but after reading his biography (recommend it) I kind of understood a bit more about him and why he comes off so snobby and full of himself.

I saw The Police in 1982 then again in 2008. I saw Sting solo in 1986 and again in 2012. I would have to say that The Police gigs were far superior in terms of quality of songs and band sound but at last year's Sting show I had pretty much a close-up view of his effortless playing style and with Vinnie C on drums, it made an impressive backline.

[/quote]

Sting refers to The Police as "my band" on the first disc of "Police Live!", recorded in 1979 soon after second album Reggatta de Blanc was released. So he probably always thought that. Still, when interviewed for the reunion tour in 2007 Stewart Copeland said "well it wouldn't work if it wasn't us three would it" when asked about previous in-band tensions.

I didn't see them back in the day, but twice on the reunion tour (Vienna and Wembley), and Sting a few times - first time was on the Nothing But The Sun album, most recently the Back To Bass tour. All enjoyable stuff. Seen Andy Summers and Copeland doing their various solo things as well.

Tone Fact: the new bassist in the band I played festivals with last summer was once in a band with Henry Padovani, the original Police guitarist.