Jump to content
MoJoKe

In Ear Monitors - help needed...

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, DaytonaRik said:

I can only confirm the comments from @EBS_freak  - moving from a mono IEM with my XR18 to a stereo mix from the X32 Rack is night and day - instead of the everything being sonically stacked on top of itself, making it sometimes tricky to distinguish between different instruments in the mix, the audio is now panned across the stereo image with each instrument being placed as it is on stage, with the option of bring each artist's own instrument/voice to the centre of the mix if required for added clarity and being 'dominant' in the mix without swamping the levels.  

Can you pan stuff in your in ear mix without it being panned in the foh mix? Current band has an Allen and Heath qu16. If I could pan stuff in my in ear mix on that it would be killer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect that would be a desk specific feature - you most certainly can with the Behringer digital desks and I'd be more that a little surprised if the same functionality was not offered by other manufacturers in this market sector.  The pan for each stereo pair will most likely be found in the sends section of the channel so perhaps look there first.  If anyone else has experience of the qu16 maybe they can confirm the pan on sends functionality

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, DaytonaRik said:

I can only confirm the comments from @EBS_freak  - moving from a mono IEM with my XR18 to a stereo mix from the X32 Rack is night and day - instead of the everything being sonically stacked on top of itself, making it sometimes tricky to distinguish between different instruments in the mix, the audio is now panned across the stereo image with each instrument being placed as it is on stage, with the option of bring each artist's own instrument/voice to the centre of the mix if required for added clarity and being 'dominant' in the mix without swamping the levels.  

I'll have a word with our guitarist who does the sound. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This just arrived today. Our singer and guitarist already use one each and seem to be impressed. Bundled ear buds not so good.

The P2 has been OK for me up to now although it does feel like I have the baby reins on at times and have limited ability to move on stage (we like to go out into the crowd every night at various points). I would have to agree too with EBS about the batteries. I just placed a small piece of Gorilla tape over them to keep them secure. The belt attachment is also easily bent if you snag it at all.

Going to use the new system tomorrow at a wedding. I have also ordered CCA C12s from Ali Express so will report back on what they sound like and how they compare to the C10s I am currently using.

 

20191113_155207.thumb.jpg.0818202c10ead58ea9d0faabb18a0c3f.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I pan our two guitarists hard L&R as they set up on stage relative to me, vocals are also panned but not as drastically (three vocals - me, and the two guitarists) but enough to separate them in my IEM mix.  My bass and vocals are centre panned and the e-drums are stereo in so i leave them as they are as they move nicely L-R as he plays across the kit (using an Xr18 and a stereo feed to my EW300G3 btw)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sPiKi said:

This just arrived today. Our singer and guitarist already use one each and seem to be impressed. Bundled ear buds not so good.

The P2 has been OK for me up to now although it does feel like I have the baby reins on at times and have limited ability to move on stage (we like to go out into the crowd every night at various points). I would have to agree too with EBS about the batteries. I just placed a small piece of Gorilla tape over them to keep them secure. The belt attachment is also easily bent if you snag it at all.

Going to use the new system tomorrow at a wedding. I have also ordered CCA C12s from Ali Express so will report back on what they sound like and how they compare to the C10s I am currently using.

 

20191113_155207.thumb.jpg.0818202c10ead58ea9d0faabb18a0c3f.jpg

i started out with this exact system - i found it to be pretty good for the money but you're right, the bundled in-ears are pretty naff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sooooooo what are Stagg rebranding?

Shure are gonna be taking a beating on all these lower priced multi driver IEMs. 

D02CFF26-6813-4B54-A782-A11F08745152.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing that 5 next to ms, doesn't fill me with that much confidence... and it's mono.

It looks like they've taken the guitar wireless, flipped it and put a headphone amp on the receiver. It may work for you, depending upon your signal chain and the cumulative latency. Stageclix do something similar (not at the same price point though)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With thanks to @EBS_freak for the advice.... I've just made my entry into the murky world of IEMs!

LD MEI1000 wireless with KZ-AS10 5-driver earpieces.... all for under £280!

Looking forward to trying these at our theatre gig in a fortnight's time 🙂

 

20191122_090231.jpg

Edited by cetera
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the setup i use (bar the earpieces - I've got some ACS custom molds), and it works fine for these battered old ears...brace yourself for hearing yourself properly for the first time in yonks; doesn't half sharpen your technique up! 😕😀

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got my s**t together last month and sorted wiring so I now run in stereo. Like night and day from running mono. I'm the only one in the band using stereo and the others don't like change. Their loss.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/11/2019 at 19:03, mrtcat said:

Can you pan stuff in your in ear mix without it being panned in the foh mix? Current band has an Allen and Heath qu16. If I could pan stuff in my in ear mix on that it would be killer.

Turns out this is really simple with the Allen and Heath desk. It's gone up a lot in my humble opinion since I worked it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mrtcat said:

Finally got my s**t together last month and sorted wiring so I now run in stereo. Like night and day from running mono. I'm the only one in the band using stereo and the others don't like change. Their loss.

Finally! Welcome to 3d! Massive, massive improvement isn't it?

Next you'll be running a separate desk for getting inear specific channel EQ, compression and fx. Who am I kidding? 😛

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mrtcat said:

Turns out this is really simple with the Allen and Heath desk. It's gone up a lot in my humble opinion since I worked it out.

The QU is great. The SQ too... although that seems to be catching a few people out with some teething troubles. I'd really like a go on an Avantis...

Of course, the Behringer Wing is what everybody is talking about at the moment. Certainly seems to offer a lot for the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...