Why become a member? ×

Anyone know why DV seem to have stopped stocking Fender?

Twigman

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1368270598' post='2075131']...Aren't they the ones who have taken them over?...
[/quote]
No, it's not Thomann that have taken them over, it's a different (but similar) German music shop.

There's an interesting take on the story here: http://theeccentricblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/digital-village.html?m=1

[quote name='jonno1981' timestamp='1368355795' post='2075960']
Are they really going to be selling Sandbergs at £800-£850? That's going to screw over the UK distributor who has worked really hard to build the brand over here.
[/quote]

Presumably yes, as they are direct from Germany.

I'm sad about that. The big just seem to get bigger, and the small, friendly independents wither and die. Yes, I know it's a sign of the times, but soon it'll be all mail order and no chance of browsing and trying. I guess we've all bought online and speeded up the process though.

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1368389776' post='2076537']
I just read this article

[url="http://theeccentricblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/digital-village.html?m=1"]http://theeccentricb...illage.html?m=1[/url]

If it's true then they won't be getting any custom from me in the future :(
[/quote]

I think this guy is right on the money , have just spoke to a friend of mine who said that its all over facebook and twitter , seems that this outfit may have just screwed themselves in the music biz , nobody is gonna buy off this type of outfit !

[quote name='M-Bass-M' timestamp='1368392271' post='2076591']
I was planning to make a few purchases from DV247 given that they were the lowest prices around. Don't think I will now, in these economic times I'd rather my money be kept in the UK economy supporting UK jobs.
[/quote]

Doesn't this mean it will?

"DV247 limited is a UK registered company which will pay VAT and corporation tax as well as salaries to the staff at Romford HQ who have retained their jobs – if you need expert advice there’s no need to learn German as our team of UK based experts are here to help although if you speak German, French or Spanish we have staff who are fluent in these languages."

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1368389776' post='2076537'] I just read this article http://theeccentricblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/digital-village.html?m=1 If it's true then they won't be getting any custom from me in the future :( [/quote]

Got to agree, sounds very dodgy..

If people insist on having the lowest prices possible, then it will only be these chains that will survive.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1368395266' post='2076650']
....Got to agree, sounds very dodgy....
[/quote]

Standard business practice.

Fold company ABC, trading as XYZ, start a new company, HJK,

Still keep trading as XYZ so the public sees continuity but loose all the debts of ABC.

That scews all suppliers and existing customers!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1368396526' post='2076671']

Still keep trading as XYZ so the public sees continuity but loose all the debts of ABC.

[/quote]

The lovely Anthony Worral Thompson did that local to me. Ordered a stack of locally grown/reared produce and then declared three of his 'gastro-pubs' bankrupt. Somehow retained ownership of the fourth one under a different company and it's still going.

Didn't make him very popular locally and a lot of people boycott the pub because of it.

My mate lost his job last week as part of all this. Need to quiz him to see what the craic is.

Despite all the dodgy dealings of the management, remember that in the trenches, good committed people have lost their livelihoods.

Very occasionally these hasty 'administrations' fail to achieve the optimal outcome.

Many years ago a (not very well-known) US airline booked adspace with a company I worked for. We'd heard rumours so we asked for pre-payment which they duly dispatched. Next thing, the airline went bust. Called the liquidator and told them we had the airline's money. Nothing happened.

Two years later, the £140,000 was still sitting there so our Fin Dir magicked it away into a slush-fund and that was that.

The DV thing is very dispiriting, though. [url="http://theeccentricblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/digital-village.html?m=1"]That guy's blog[/url] seems to have the angry ring of truth about it, while the DV chap who posted a counterblast came across - to me at least - as a tad evasive.

Tough times all round, though like others I once fell foul of the DV 'take yer money, oh, it's not in stock, mind waiting a month or two?' scam so never used them again. Sorry for those affected by the fall-out, but as for the new DV they can go poke it.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1368396526' post='2076671']

[/quote]

This is why the Football League tries avoid the Ken Bates type dealing with Leeds (putting the club into liquidation, losing all debts to a couple of pennies in the pound and then re-emerging) by punishing football clubs who go into administration. No such overarching body controls shops in this way.

I doubt I'd dare buy anything from them now, in case anything was to happen to them again. It's a very tough time for retail at the moment, but what is also bad for the economy in general is that events like this put people off buying, even with credit card protection.

I've almost been in this situation twice, so I'm extremely cautious now.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1368445100' post='2077052']
So, it's been confirmed. As rumours suggested DV have gone into administration but have been bought out by 'a German retailer'... No prizes for guessing who that is then!
[/quote]

Eh? Its already been mentioned in the thread, no need to guess lol.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1368447443' post='2077104']
It's the suppliers I feel sorry for in all this.
[/quote]

I deal with quite a few musical instrument & accessory suppliers - hardly any of them offer credit terms any more. The retailer has to pay upfront for everything significant.

[quote name='plumbob' timestamp='1368391108' post='2076565']
I think this guy is right on the money , have just spoke to a friend of mine who said that its all over facebook and twitter , seems that this outfit may have just screwed themselves in the music biz , [b]nobody is gonna buy off this type of outfit ![/b]
[/quote]

Course they will. And then they'll celebrate with a KFC and spill a load of that horrible sauce on their Primark shirt from Bangladesh. Most people don't give a flying sh*t about ethical purchasing if they can save a few bob or a few minutes.

A company that Mrs Zero used to work for pulled the same stunt (some time after making her redundant). However HMRC were waiting for them at the other end of the tunnel and, because the previous company had folded owing £100k or so of VAT, ordered the new company to pre-pay £60k VAT as a surety. The new company didn't and as a result got fined and had to pay £60k compensation. So it's not all bad news.

[url="http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/local/northamptonshire-businessman-forced-to-pay-back-60-000-to-inland-revenue-1-3493985"]http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/local/northamptonshire-businessman-forced-to-pay-back-60-000-to-inland-revenue-1-3493985[/url]