Why become a member? ×

Cacking it!!!!!!

mrtcat

Myself and my other bandmates just got this text from our drummer:

Folks I have some news. 31st July you are playing with Gregg Bissonette at the Freddie Gee Drum Academy. Gregg was David Lee Roth's drummer from 86-91 and is currently Spinal Tap's first choice.

I'm officially bricking it. Defo keen to do it as it's a really cool opportunity. He's a friend of our drummer who used to tech for him. Any advice?

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1365597167' post='2041549']
His brother is a bass player as well ( Matt Bisonette ) . I would bet you that Greg does everything he can to put you at ease and help you all he can , Look forward to it , he is indeed one of the best drummers of his generation . .
[/quote]
Matt's a great bassist, saw him with DLR too, he also looks ace on stage.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1365595934' post='2041514']
Myself and my other bandmates just got this text from our drummer:

Folks I have some news. 31st July you are playing with Gregg Bissonette at the Freddie Gee Drum Academy. Gregg was David Lee Roth's drummer from 86-91 and is currently Spinal Tap's first choice.

I'm officially bricking it. Defo keen to do it as it's a really cool opportunity. He's a friend of our drummer who used to tech for him. Any advice?
[/quote]

It will be an opportunity to see how a top guy does it...
I wouldn't worry as he isn't going to fire you... and I expect he will be a cool guy about it all.
He wouldn't really agree to it if he hadn't thought it thru..???

Ask him about his Toto Dep gig...saw him at Shepherd Bush dep to Phillips..
ask him about the guys that he rates and he might have a nice story.

But...... the flip side of that is...
ex names round here have CV's that have people drooling.... you need to see and hear them to decide whether that adds up to much..

Thanks all thats some really cool support.
I feel ridiculously lucky to get a chance to play with him. Im just a pub / club player really so will be an amazing chance to see how a top pro works. Gonna spend the next few months playing the set tunes over and over and over so i can relax as much as poss on the day. I think our drummer is cleverly trying to generate some attention for our band and Greg has very kindly offered to let us play with him. Our band is an 80's big hair metal setup, and usually we play in wigs and makeup etc but I'm hoping I'm not expected to wear it on the day lol
I'll defo get video's and photos where poss and put them up here.

He sounds cool to me and I expect he will himself expect to have to show some chops, so let him steal the show. He probably will anyway :lol: :lol:
You'll prorbaly find he has played some massive gigs and is cool about them as well, as in, they would have beena great buzz.. and if your mate knows him, he will know his character.

We have a local guy round here who has played in probably one of the TOP 3 favourite BC bands, I'd suspect.
Everyone likes him and respects him as he is a NICE guy to boot...so when he has a story to tell...no one sees it
as 'name-dropping' or any sort of agenda... they listen and join in on the joke.

Edited by JTUK

Never heard of him.

He's just a drummer. As JTUK says, top players are usually the coolest people.

Just do your best, feel the adrenaline rush that playing with a great drummer brings and have the night of your life.

ALso have your number ready in case he asks for it at the end of the night. You never know!!!!

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1365597297' post='2041553']
Matt's a great bassist, saw him with DLR too, he also looks ace on stage.
[/quote]

I saw that he is now Elton John's bass player following the sad death of Bob Birch , so a pretty high - profile gig there , then . He is indeed a superb player .

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1365595934' post='2041514']
Gregg was David Lee Roth's drummer from 86-91 and is currently Spinal Tap's first choice.
[/quote]
I'd be taking a life insurance policy out on him then.

I wouldn't worry, it's a drum academy. The audience will be too busy fighting over the Duplo to notice what you're playing! :P

I saw him back in the late 80s playing at the SECC with DLR, Vai & Sheehan. Awesome gig.

Another pointless bit of info, Matt used to play the same bass as me (Ibby SR 1000). Looks like he's now a MM player.