Why become a member? ×

Why do people buy copy Fenders...

Jonny Walker

I have never understood why people buy copy fenders.... not that i am a huge fan but it seems to me (outsider) that Fender came up with their perfect bass and every other luthier copied the plan to get some sales.... and everyones buying into it... surely if you want a fender buy a fender?

If you want a different sound shove some better pups in...

And if its the expense, theres always the Squires... not that there anything special but surely its better to keep it in the family...

Edited by Jonny Walker

This has come up before, but I can't find it right now...

Personally, I wanted a Status neck, PUps and hardware and their version of the Jazz shape is a bit sleeker and sexier (IMHO). Can't talk for anyone else tho.

EDIT: plus 1 to bass_ferret's comments too

Edited by Merton

[quote name='Jonny Walker' post='207928' date='May 28 2008, 11:36 AM']I have never understood why people but copy fenders.... not that i am a huge fan but it seems to me (outsider) that Fender came up with their perfect bass and every other luthier copied the plan to get some sales.... and everyones buying into it... surely if you want a fender buy a fender?

And if its the expense, theres always the Squires... not that there anything special but surely its better to keep it in the family...[/quote]Well there are maybe two reasons, either people cant afford a Fender and go for a cheaper copy, or people who go for a super jazz/precision,who want the traditional styling and maybe offer something that Fender can not,, exotic woods, better electronics, my vote goes on a Alleva Coppolo jazz...WOW..

[quote name='ped' post='207940' date='May 28 2008, 11:46 AM']Many people think that Fender came up with a winning recipe, but there are better 'cooks' out there.[/quote]I agree Ped, but i think Leo was on a roll, with the Fender,Music man, G+L, basses havent changed much from his designs, other luthiers are just taking them further..IMHO :)

It's a bit like asking why do people buy normal trainers, when they could buy Nike trainers?

Or why do people buy normal jeans when they could have Levis?

Similar to what has been said before, the winning formula was the first one that came up, and so everyone has tended to tick that because that's the idea that has the most demand.

If Mr. Fender had started off with a bass that perhaps, had a reverse body like a thunderbird for example, perhaps the world of bass guitars would look very different...

I concur with the above, just because Fender made the first ones, and became famous, there's no reasons why other manufacturers and luthiers can't do their own take on it.

Besides, you pay roughly 800 quid for a factory made MIA standard Fender, but for a few hundred quid more you can have a luthier knock one up for you, which'll be tailored to your specifications and should turn out to be much higher quality instrument (with much tighter QC) for a fair bit cheaper than you'd pay for a CS / Masterbuilt Fender.

After all, even though Karl Benz was the inventor of the modern automobile, we don't all ride around in Mercedes Benz's now do we?

Im not saying i don't like Fenders i fancy an aerodyne for myslef... and i have no doubt in my mind that GB make a better 'Fender' than Fender buy using far more expensive woods and better joining techniques but surely they could have changed the general shape... its just sometimes people get addicted to the shape and its on that promise that GB use the design.

[quote name='Jonny Walker' post='207967' date='May 28 2008, 12:29 PM']Im not saying i don't like Fenders i fancy an aerodyne for myslef... and i have no doubt in my mind that GB make a better 'Fender' than Fender buy using far more expensive woods and better joining techniques but surely they could have changed the general shape... its just sometimes people get addicted to the shape and its on that promise that GB use the design.[/quote]

My Laklands are "copies" of Leo Fender instruments and they have different shapes. I think we need to define what is a "copy", what is a "reimagining" and what is something completely different. One thing that's certain is that Leo Fender got it spot on when he designed basses and the majority of manufacturers out there now are making instruments that are hugely Fender influenced if not direct copies. QC on certain manufactures is historically better than Fender too.

[quote name='Jonny Walker' post='207971' date='May 28 2008, 12:31 PM']But don't you think its a bit cheeky that everyone else nicks the shape? im sure that Leo's humbled buy the amount of manufactures that produce a P or J.... but its a bit lazy.[/quote]

You can never accuse Gibson of being lazy in their bass designs but they really have never caught people's attention in the same way that the Jazz, Precision and Stingray have. Manufacturers will go to market with what they think will sell - they will try to give the customer what he wants and generally that is what Leo came up with plus (or minus) something.

Leo Fender doesn't care anymore but his widow does.

Edited by Sean

Take the shape of the guitar, cut away above and below the neck for better access, make the top horn longer so the instrument balances on a strap and hey-presto you have a Fender body shape copied by millions. The reason being is that it is by far the best ergonomic shape for a bass body and Gibson basses that have not used that shape all have terrible balance because the top strap button it too close to the end strap button. Its like having 4 wheels on a car.

A lot of the budget copies are very good - Take the Boston P-bass packages at £80-90 brand new. Great for a beginner and better quality than a Squier Affinity.

At the top end of the Fender tree, I'd rather have a Sadowsky or a GB. They're specially made, as opposed to the mass produced Fenders. There are many others of course, such as Bachus, Valenti, etc., and many of them simply out-Fender Fender :) Perhaps the competition is good and makes the Corona California crew constantly improve their product?

[quote name='Jonny Walker' post='207928' date='May 28 2008, 11:36 AM']I have never understood why people buy copy fenders.... not that i am a huge fan but it seems to me (outsider) that Fender came up with their perfect bass and every other luthier copied the plan to get some sales.... and everyones buying into it... surely if you want a fender buy a fender?

And if its the expense, theres always the Squires... not that there anything special but surely its better to keep it in the family...[/quote]

To turn the question around why would someone get an ESP viper rather than a Gibson or Epiphone SG-shaped Bass?

Seems to me that Fender themselves have changed the design of the P and Jazz over the years so even if they got it right first time thats not what you can buy these days. so while its a Fender is still a guitar based on an older design IMO.
Personally i got a Duck Dun as I wanted a narrow neck, one pup and block inlays.

Edited by dave_bass5

I have one of these yellow Westfield P bass clones;

With a decent setup done by yours truly it plays great, and with the pickups replaced with Seymour Duncan quarter pounders it sounds incredible. And the price is a bargain... what's not to like? :-)

Jennifer

[quote name='Jonny Walker' post='207928' date='May 28 2008, 11:36 AM']I have never understood why people buy copy fenders.... not that i am a huge fan but it seems to me (outsider) that Fender came up with their perfect bass and every other luthier copied the plan to get some sales.... and everyones buying into it... surely if you want a fender buy a fender?[/quote]
In business you compete in various market places and the big one for the bass industry is selling against Fender. Most companies will have a similar product to the market leader, usually cheaper, and that's just good business.

Leo Fender copied others at the time, why wouldn't he? History lesson: he didn't invent the solid body bass; that was Paul Tutmarc in Seattle in 1935. Leo didn't invent the first electric guitar either; his first guitar was based on a Rickenbacker guitar. The Strat headstock was copied from a guitar made by Paul Bigsby in 1948. The tuners in a row, tremolo and strings through the body were also Bigsby’s idea, so Leo’s "inventions" were evolutionary not revolutionary. Also Leo didn't invent any instrument on his own, his company employed many designers, technicians and musicians from the start. Most of the ideas that became the Strat came from musician Bill Carson.

Unless you are a James Dyson or the guy who invented the Flymo part of your business will look pretty similar to the market leader. Unfortunately, over the years, Fender has made it pretty easy for the competition to produce a better product, so they have all tried. Who would have predicted that Dyson would nearly kill off Hoover or Microsoft could dent IBM, but big companies tend to get lazy and uncompetitive. Any good businessman will always try take advantage of that situation..