Why become a member? ×

Why do people buy copy Fenders...

Jonny Walker

[quote name='Toasted' post='207951' date='May 28 2008, 12:10 PM']I'm heading down to Sound Control to swap my Celinder for one of this fancy MIM Fenders. Some of those even have photoflame tops, you know?[/quote]

MB1. :huh:
"Im heading down to Sound Control"??????????????? :)

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='208020' date='May 28 2008, 01:35 PM']A lot of the budget copies are very good - Take the Boston P-bass packages at £80-90 brand new. Great for a beginner and better quality than a Squier Affinity.[/quote]

That's just what I don't want to read having just bought a Squier Affinity! But I have to say I like it and I love that Fender shape. I expect my next bass will be a "proper" Fender, unless, of course, after getting some more experience with the bass I find something else I prefer.

Edited by aceuggy

[quote name='aceuggy' post='208273' date='May 28 2008, 06:46 PM']That's just what I don't want to read having just bought a Squier Affinity![/quote]
I wouldn't get too hung up over it. The lead guitarist in my old band got a squier affinity tele for £109 new, and it played/looked/sounded really good. It immediately took over as his main axe; he had guitars costing three times what his squier did!

If you've got a good squier (like my mate) be happy about it. A useable bass for not that much dough is what we all want.

What exactly are you asking?

The cheaper copies like SX sell because people want a Fender-looking bass but can't afford a MIM.

As for the more expensive copies there fore those who still like the vibe but want something higher quality and don't feel that a FCS bass is good value for money.

I don't think that Leo Fender got it right with the P and J basses. What he did was to make a bass that was quite a bit better than the competition of the time, and since then we've had 20 years to get used to sound before other manufacturers/luthiers started to make basses that are better.

Nowadays there is plenty of quality competition that IMO is more playable has a better range of sounds and good looks to go with them and don't rely much on Mr Fender's designs. I personally own 19 basses and while a couple show some P or J influences not one could remotely be described as a Fender Copy.

2 reasons for me:
1) I've never been able to afford a 'proper' MIA/CIJ Fender.
2) I really need a quiet bridge pickup and those Fenders in my price range are generally single-coil bridge pups.

I have a Hohner jazz bass that I use for practice only. I got it free (used) and it sounds [i]similar[/i] to a real Fender jazz. The frets are really worn and the pups are too noisy for proper gigs/recording which is why it's relegated to living in a practice room.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='208036' date='May 28 2008, 01:55 PM']To turn the question around why would someone get an ESP viper rather than a Gibson or Epiphone SG-shaped Bass?[/quote]

Ahhh i was wondering when someone you spot that...
Mainly Body profile,
stock with EMG's,
good weight distribution,
on-board eq,
nicer headstock,
Gotoh hardware.

But yea i get your point... and its a good one.

Gibson never came into the equation when i thought about a pro bass because i new the ESP was better.

i have to say i'm with the anti-fender members among us...

i've had mine for about a year... and well it's falling to bits...

yes it sits well but because of the weight of the thing i've suffered so much pain...

but i've kept going... it is only my first bass they'll be plenty more...

but in future i think the majority will be of the ibanez or vintage esque basses...

:)

I'm not a Fender fan, but do see them as pretty simple tools that don't really do anything wrong. I didn't buy my Jazz, I swapped for it. I doubt if i'd have had the cash i'd have bought it as there are better value 'copies' out there.

The attraction of my Jazz to me is the predictable sounds I will get from it, I don't have to worry if it will fit in, it just will.

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='208738' date='May 29 2008, 12:12 PM']Crikey Moses - until reading this thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20145"]all the Fender fans on basschat[/url] had be GASing for a P, but now I've been completely put off! :) Thanks for saving me some money :huh:[/quote]

just providing a service... :huh:

no but seriously i have no problem with other people liking fenders or the various "copies" i just personally hate them and hate the fact that right now i'm stuck with one... :huh: :huh: :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Jonny Walker' post='207928' date='May 28 2008, 11:36 AM']I have never understood why people buy copy fenders.... not that i am a huge fan but it seems to me (outsider) that Fender came up with their perfect bass and every other luthier copied the plan to get some sales.... and everyones buying into it... surely if you want a fender buy a fender?[/quote]
Innate conservatism of bassists and the fear of going outside the comfort zone of a familiar body shape. Fenders are far too expensive for mass-produced lumps of wood with strings on, so the timorous bassist goes for something that looks the same but is better value for money. Let's face it, people who play P-basses and J-basses really just want to return to the womb.

[quote name='tauzero' post='213865' date='Jun 6 2008, 01:55 PM']Innate conservatism of bassists and the fear of going outside the comfort zone of a familiar body shape. Fenders are far too expensive for mass-produced lumps of wood with strings on, so the timorous bassist goes for something that looks the same but is better value for money. Let's face it, people who play P-basses and J-basses really just want to return to the womb.[/quote]

Most basses are too expensive, ridiculous some of the prices out there. Some guys play cheap copies and sound awesome, doesn't really matter what a player uses at the end of the day. I will admit though, I can't use any other shape, has to be J or P design, used them for ages, seems a little daft to change my playing position/style etc....and your're right, I hate change but there's nowt wrong with having a comfort zone of a familiar body shape, it's highly reliable when playing live. :)

[quote name='tauzero' post='213865' date='Jun 6 2008, 01:55 PM']Innate conservatism of bassists and the fear of going outside the comfort zone of a familiar body shape. Fenders are far too expensive for mass-produced lumps of wood with strings on, so the timorous bassist goes for something that looks the same but is better value for money. Let's face it, people who play P-basses and J-basses really just want to return to the womb.[/quote]

Mass produced lumps of wood? the majority of basses fall into this category including modern warwicks ( although they do have
more hand finishing than most)

I have recently returned to a Fender jazz after a a few years, I am in no way conservative, timorous or wanting to 'return to the womb'. Two of the basses i have been through in this period are some of the least conservative around namely the Musicman Bongo and Warwick dolphin, both had their merits ( the dolphin had a particularly awesome funk/slap tone) so why the return? well my American Deluxe Jazz is more versatile and sounds right in more situations. You can't beat a GOOD fender jazz or one of it's high end clones.

One point i will agree with is the cost of American fenders, i was lucky and picked up my jazz For £750 as new but if i was paying the best part of a grand and a half i might indeed look at alternatives.

Oh and Flea has been playing a Jazz recently, Timorous? :)

:huh: Each to their own :huh:

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='214098' date='Jun 6 2008, 09:04 PM']Flea plays straight-ahead rock music now. I still remember when RHCP records were exciting, but it was a long time ago.

They need to start taking the drugs again.[/quote]

Agree about RHCP I was lucky enough to see them at Reading just after Blood,sex,sugar,magik was released but my point was really that fenders work for a lot of people, I am by no means a 'Fender head' and at the lower end of the market especially there are better basses around .

[quote name='steve-norris' post='214052' date='Jun 6 2008, 07:22 PM']You can't beat a GOOD fender jazz or one of it's high end clones.[/quote]
I can. I've never encountered a Jazz bass anything like as good to play as my Thumb.

[quote name='Jonny Walker' post='207928' date='May 28 2008, 11:36 AM']I have never understood why people buy copy fenders.... not that i am a huge fan but it seems to me (outsider) that Fender came up with their perfect bass and every other luthier copied the plan to get some sales.... and everyones buying into it... surely if you want a fender buy a fender?

If you want a different sound shove some better pups in...

And if its the expense, theres always the Squires... not that there anything special but surely its better to keep it in the family...[/quote]

Many reasons, with people in top bands currently and over the years endorsing Fenders, many kids starting out want to emulate their heroes be it Jean Jacques Brunel or Gordon Moakes. Having no experience of playing a lot of basses and not having an informed opinion they go with their heroes. Many bassists starting out cannot afford a Fender indeed many of us in later life still either cannot or will not wish to afford a Fender.
The copies (unless its some Matsumoko offering from the 70's or 80's rarely sound like a Fender, but they look like them which is the main reason for buying them.
My first "production model" for my bass company is a Jazz style body with a maple /maple Jazz style neck. Why ? its a safe bet as its recognized and I am more likely to sell those than a model of my own design. Its a matter of the market. I will be selling my own designs but need the "bread and butter" models to give me an income to develop my own designs and I think its similar for larger manufacturers. Squires are not very good, nothing wrong with the wood just the hardware, and it will always be a Squier , the poor relation.There are some £99.00 copies better than them.
I was watching my friends sons band (god I'm getting old) and his son is bassist/ vocalist. "Why do you play a Squier Precision" I asked "Because its white and looks like Paul Simonons" was the reply, he wasn't too interested in an authentic sound just looks. My second production model looks like it will be a white Precision style model.
If I had offered him a through neck (5 laminate) mahogany bodied with maple top bass that I make I know what his answer would of been.

We forget that for every 1 of us on this forum with our hand-built bubinga / wenge / fretless spalted topped badass bridged twelfty stringed Pedzon Jayker Droder Special there are 10 kids out there emulating their hero's on whatever they can afford.

£769.00 for an American Standard Jazz you must be on Glue !!!!! you can buy a good car for that much. lol

[quote name='Jonny Walker' post='207967' date='May 28 2008, 12:29 PM']Im not saying i don't like Fenders i fancy an aerodyne for myslef... and i have no doubt in my mind that GB make a better 'Fender' than Fender buy using far more expensive woods and better joining techniques but surely they could have changed the general shape... its just sometimes people get addicted to the shape and its on that promise that GB use the design.[/quote]

Of course, GBs don't do a Fender J copy... I know what you are saying though. The general shape has been changed - the Spitfire is actually quite different to the Jazz shape. It was certainly inspired by Leos design but saying that GB use the design is inaccurate - if you put a Jazz and a Spitfire together, they look very different.... add the fact that the Spitfire has humbucking soapbars as standard...and those electronics...