Why become a member? ×

Sell my Thumb? Or keep it and get a 6?

Chris2112

Morning all,

Recently I have found my playing massively re-energised by purchasing a Pandora. Whoever suggested that as a solution to the troubles I was having with my amp sounding crap in my front room, I will buy you a pint as it is the best bit of music kit I have ever bought!

Anyway, since getting the Pandora, I have really come to appreciate my Warwick Thumb 5 string bass. I've always loved Thumbs; nothing else sounds like a Thumb and has the sledgehammer-like low mid range punch of a Thumb. Playing it through the Pandora, my playing sounds better than it has in years. I think this is helped by the tonal characteristics of the Thumb, even the lowest notes of the B string ring loud and clear. I feel as though my playing is more 'on the ball' timing wise than it has been for ages. I feel a great desire to get my bass out and play again, which is great. I had such a busy year last year I barely played at all sometimes, and feeling a passion for playing again is wonderful.

I've been thinking of changing my bass, either by selling or trading my Warwick Thumb. Ideally I'm after a 6 string. After years away from the low B, I don't think I could live without one now; it simply gets too much playing time! But I would love a high C too. So therein lies my quandary...do I keep the Thumb because it sounds amazing and save for a 6 string on the side? I would be looking for a similarly high end instrument so I'd be spending approx £1000 or more on a 6 string. Or do I trade or sell the Thumb towards a 6 string?

I know the obvious answer is 'get a 6 string thumb', but they don't seem to come up all that often (and I love trying new basses too).

I would hold on to it. Like the others have said why sell a bass you really like to get another one you might not like as much.

Someone mentioned the weight. I would say it depends. Where are you going to be playing the 6 string if you get one? Are you just playing in your house or do you gig? I gig both a Thumb 5NT and FNA Jazzman. I dont find the weight being a problem for me when I gig the Thumb. I have a Thumb6 NT as well but its fretless so I have not gigged it yet. I dont mind the weight when I play it at home and the gigs I might gig it are more quiet acoustic type stuff and chances are I would be sitting down anyway.

The Thumbs are quite something else I agree with you (not everyone likes them but so what) and that is the reason I bought the 6 string. I could not think of any other bass when I wanted to get a 6 string.

Even if I was gigging the Thumb, I would usually have the luxury of a seat. Though having held Thumb 6'ers before in the past, the weight wouldn't particularly bother me. If find if you wear them high and with a good strap, the balance is neutral and they are a fairly clever piece of ergonomic design. So that isn't an issue. It's mainly one of me wanting a 6 string, but loving the sound of the Thumb too! I think I will keep the Thumb and save up for something else, and then see how I feel when I had both basses.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1364543271' post='2027829']
Morning all,

Recently I have found my playing massively re-energised by purchasing a Pandora. Whoever suggested that as a solution to the troubles I was having with my amp sounding crap in my front room, I will buy you a pint as it is the best bit of music kit I have ever bought!

Anyway, since getting the Pandora, I have really come to appreciate my Warwick Thumb 5 string bass. I've always loved Thumbs; nothing else sounds like a Thumb and has the sledgehammer-like low mid range punch of a Thumb. Playing it through the Pandora, my playing sounds better than it has in years. I think this is helped by the tonal characteristics of the Thumb, even the lowest notes of the B string ring loud and clear. I feel as though my playing is more 'on the ball' timing wise than it has been for ages. I feel a great desire to get my bass out and play again, which is great. I had such a busy year last year I barely played at all sometimes, and feeling a passion for playing again is wonderful.

I've been thinking of changing my bass, either by selling or trading my Warwick Thumb. Ideally I'm after a 6 string. After years away from the low B, I don't think I could live without one now; it simply gets too much playing time! But I would love a high C too. So therein lies my quandary...do I keep the Thumb because it sounds amazing and save for a 6 string on the side? I would be looking for a similarly high end instrument so I'd be spending approx £1000 or more on a 6 string. Or do I trade or sell the Thumb towards a 6 string?

I know the obvious answer is 'get a 6 string thumb', but they don't seem to come up all that often (and I love trying new basses too).
[/quote]

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Korg Pandora , Chris . As I told you at the time , mine is the best £90 I ever spent in my life and my amp at home has literally been gathering dust since I got it . No need to buy me a pint - something like a new bass or an Ampeg SVT rig would be a nice gesture though . Regarding the Thumb , I personally think a six string is a much trickier proposition to a five , not least of all because of the headache of muting the strings you aren't playing is even harder than on a five . Slapping can be particulaly hard on a six . On the subject of Warwick sixes , a friend of mine had an early Thumb version and I always found the strings [i]way [/i]too close together for my tastes . Definitely try before you buy .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1364550693' post='2027967']
Personally, selling a bass that you really, really like just to get a bass that you [i]may[/i] like seems a bit silly. Given that its also a terrible time for selling stuff I would hold onto it and save up for a 6 string. Once you have the 6 you can decide what to do with the 5.
[/quote]

This is good sense.
Do this!

I have a Fortress MM5 and a Streamer LX6. I also use a Pandora... Spacing on sixes can be an issue. The LX6 is about 16.5mm. Quick with fingers. Clumsy when slapped. Well, when I'm driving it is!

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1364586719' post='2028626']
I think I will keep the Thumb and save up for something else, and then see how I feel when I had both basses.
[/quote]

Pfffffffff! Are you aware you let us suffer from fear and ... er ... Angst and ... er ... fear here for 12 hours and four minutes?
Don't do that anymore. We have just one heart each.

Good choice! :)
(never sell a Thumb!)

best,
bert

Keep the Thumb and look at other 6 string options.
I recently bought a Peavey Cirrus 5er as it was circa £450 and its a great bass to play. I also have an 89NT thumb with EMG's, 2 Overwaters, Jazz and this is pretty decent bass too.
Sometimes we dont need to pay a fortune and some of the cheaper range basses are pretty good these days.

Give it some thought and don't rush in without trying some other basses first as there are many good 6 stringers out there for well under the £1000.

Good luck in your search mate

Dave

yeahhhhh, keep the Thumb Bass, and save up for a sixer :)

If it were me, I'd be after a six string Streamer. A perfect partner to the Thumb, and should satisfy any desire for low-mid presence and punch.

I doubt I'll ever buy another Streamer. It was a 1990 Ltd Edition model and it was so good it made every other Streamer I've ever played feel a bit ordinary, even Stage II's! I love Streamers but I feel I've owned the best now.

Six string basses on my mind include the Yamaha TRBs (neck thru models) and then custom/boutique stuff. I appreciate a good TRB is every bit the equal for a handmade bass though. If I could have any 6 string back, it would be my first generation Status Stealth bass. I was stupid to let it go.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1364551792' post='2027988']
I'd hang on to the Thumb until you decide you want to keep the new 6.
[/quote]

Definitely agree with this. Even if you have a "one in, one out" rule!

Either get a cheaper 6 string to see if it's for you, and look for a 6 string Thumb further down the line, or just treat yourself and get one outright ;)