Why become a member? ×

Domestic bass buying policies . . . most common restrictions

Black Coffee

Every bassist needs a person to reign them in when GAS takes over. I have to admit that if I was left to my own devices Id probably be bankrupt and living on the street in a cardboard box but would have more bass gear than I could play in 5 lifetimes.

I have my very own little voice in my ear as I am contemplating and browsing which sounds like this,

"One out - one in"

OR

"Have you got the money for that ? dear......"

OR

"Not in this lifetime sunshine"

Whats the best GAS stopping policy on basschat ?

[quote name='bassman344' timestamp='1363989158' post='2020755']
Every bassist needs a person to reign them in when GAS takes over. I have to admit that if I was left to my own devices Id probably be bankrupt and living on the street in a cardboard box but would have more bass gear than I could play in 5 lifetimes.

I have my very own little voice in my ear as I am contemplating and browsing which sounds like this,

"One out - one in"

OR

"Have you got the money for that ? dear......"

OR

"Not in this lifetime sunshine"

Whats the best GAS stopping policy on basschat ?
[/quote]

does it fit in the room?
do you still have cash for holidays?
ok then...

"Instruments are to be played".

My wife is cool with me buying as many basses as I like, but I have to get around to playing them all at some point - no collecting, no basses stashed under the bed. She also has threatened to divorce me if I bring home any "pointy" basses, so it's just as well I'm not keen on silly shapes as I don't want to test how serious she is about that point ;)

When I had only been with my ex a couple of months, and she walked into my house to find a big box with the word Markbass on it, her reaction told me I was going to be in for a bad time... Especially when the head turned up the following week :lol:

She also wasn't too impressed when I went from a 'Bass > Cable > Amp' guy, to having a full pedalboard in the space of about 2 weeks...

Or when I asked for another pedal for my birthday ... OR when she got it for me, and I bought a Zoom B3 as well :P

Especially not when I asked for another bass at Christmas that year! In fact that was when she decided I wasn't allowed any more gear, and tried to convince me to start a 'less annoying' pastime when she bought me a bunch of Xbox games.... I ended up buying the same bass myself from someone on here instead!

The weird part is, now that she's moved I've bought 2 more basses, a couple of new pedals and a bunch of accessories... and NOW I've started keeping my gear a secret! I've got a good reason though... It's always a bad idea to let a woman know how much money you have, especially if they're your ex! ;)

EDIT: Just realised I rambled on without answering the question in the OP! The only thing that puts me off new stuff is if I genuinely don't have the money haha.

Edited by chrismuzz

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1364001435' post='2020911']
... It's always a bad idea to let a woman know how much money you have, especially if they're your ex! ;)

[/quote]

Been there. Glad she's gone. :lol: Never had money anyway cuz I drank all I earned back then. Better being dry.

Same thing for your kids...... designer labels are nearly as expensive as bass gear.
Does Jack Wills do a single cut in bubinga ???

Edited by bassman344

I don't know the answer because I don't really recognise the problem. That's not to say I have unlimited funds and tons of gear, quite the reverse in fact - I only have one bass, a MIJ Fender P. True, I have three amps, but only because I never sell anything and three rigs over about 30 years is hardly excessive.

So I guess the answer is make do with what you've got and don't chase rainbows. I can't 'out-play' my current gear so why do I need any more? (Having said that, I've been thinking of getting a Jazz for quite a while now and reckon that this is the year that I double by bass collection!).

The rest, I think, comes downs to partner compatibility. Such things have simply never been a problem - and it's not even a question of saving 'my' money to spend on 'my' stuff because we've always had joint acounts and credit cards etc, so there's no 'my money' or 'her money'.

Somehow it all seems to work out without any rancour.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1364063911' post='2021561']
Play what you've got and stop looking at stuff you don't need (and perhaps won't even want quite soon after you buy it).

As my old man used to say: 'it's only another way of getting your money off you'.
[/quote]
This is sound advice but grass always looks greener to me elsewhere.
On reflection I fear i may have been a little harsh on my missus here as she is always supportive after i justify how i intend to fund the buy and provided she likes the colour as it invariably may be stored on a stand at some point in her house.
I intended this as a bit of humour as she does kinda do the whole one out one in thing along with the rest but generally is good with it.

As for brussel sprouts as mentioned by discreet above. Sorry dude its bbq beans maybe.

I have to have a definite YES to all these questions before I'd consider any gear these days:

Does it weigh 30 lbs or less?

Has it got 5 strings and weigh less than 10lbs?

Is it 500 watts or more?

And the crunch question; is it a significant improvement on what I'm already playing?

The best way I've found to rein in GAS to stop it reigning (sorry, my pedantry got the better of me) is to gig more. The more I'm playing in front of people, the more I have to rehearse with the band and the less time I spend trawling the "for sale" forum.

Someone on here once said that GAS is a substitute for gigging and I think they have a point.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1364124221' post='2022048']
....And the crunch question; is it a significant improvement on what I'm already playing?....
[/quote]

The comment my wife usually makes to a buying suggestion (which I always talk through with her) is; "If that's what you want".

She did say once; "That's looks nice, I'll buy it for your birthday".

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1364124575' post='2022056']
Yesterday, someone commented on the large cabs blocking the patio doors at the back of our living room, my wife's reply was "every home should have one", shes great
[/quote]

That's the ticket! we still have my first Premier drum kit, now so old as to be almost worthless. Mrs FF uses the kick as a foot stool when slobbing on the sofa and the toms as plant pot stands. Music is an important interest for both of us and music gear is just part of the furniture.