Why become a member? ×

My amp is too loud.

Pbassred

I bought my Little mark 800tube because I joined a cuban funk band. However it didn't get off the ground, and I've joined a gently bossa nova band instead. I'm pushing the master volume as high as 1 -1/2, so I'm not really working it or have the controllability.

Can anyone recommend a power soak?

As others have mentioned, a power soak is typically used with an amp that has a tube output stage, where you wish to push the power amp into saturation at lower volumes (to get an overdriven sound), more a guitar than bass thing I guess, but all it will do with your solid-state amp is make it get hot and be more likely to blow up since it's pushing more power than you need it to.

Controlability = ability to control, or the ability to control [b]with precision[/b]. If you would normally be running at, say 6, a couple of degrees either side of that is barely noticable. A few degrees either side of 1 is, by proportion, a whole heap.

I'm using it to drive a Barefaced Super 12T.

Yes, I [i]could[/i] just turn down the gain on the pre amp but I was hoping that the valve preamp might behave like a valve at some point. As yet, I have not been able to run it at any kind of volume. It sounds nice as a DI box though!

I use my 750 watt amp with an acoustic guitarist so low power from a loud amp can work.

You might be asked to do louder gigs in the future so I wouldn't sell this amp.

If the various volume controls don't work as you want I'd get another amp.

Everyone needs a backup, maybe an Aguilar TH350.

[quote name='Pbassred' timestamp='1363871566' post='2018670']
....I'm using it to drive a Barefaced Super 12T....
[/quote]

I think 800 watts into a BF S12T is overkill! That's a sensitive cab so even 500 watts would fill a room.

I'm sure I read that the valves in some of the MB amps have minimal effect on the sound.

I'd call Alex about your power soak idea. I'd be suprised if you could damage either your amp or cab but Alex would know.

Just a thought, but the S12T is a 4ohm cab so your amp will probably be running at full power, if you had an 8ohm cab you'd get a bit more control out of the amp as it would be giving out appx half the power (give or take)

Im sure there's a whole heap of technical/wording errors there but you get the idea.

I had the Little Mark Tube 500 and that was very loud. reading that you want the gain on full to get that bit of grit, I think maybe buy a graphic equaliser with an overall slider for output, and just drop the slider all the way down? Leave everything else where it is, should do the trick.

I run a Markbass lm800 non tube and it is seriously loud through my HD212, I keep it under control by turning the input gain down a little. It has way more power than I normally need, but is there in reserve if I need to call on it!

[quote]Just a thought, but the S12T is a 4ohm cab so your amp will probably be running at full power, if you had an 8ohm cab you'd get a bit more control out of the amp as it would be giving out appx half the power (give or take)

I'm sure there's a whole heap of technical/wording errors there but you get the idea. [/quote]Nothing at all wrong with the science. Loose about 2db because of the impedance and another 3db by dumping a driver. I could get a small, clean and less efficient cab until I need the juice I suppose. Less to transport. Bargain!

The LMT has an FX loop doesn't it?

So an alternative if you just want to be able to run the master higher would be to stick a pedal with a level control (compressor, graphic eq or whatever) in the FX loop, and turn the level down (and adjust the "effect" settings to not affect the tone) - then you'd get the preamp drive you want, but be able to limit the preamp level going into the poweramp

I guess this is effectively the same as running the master at a low setting, but if your aim is to run the master at a bigger number without actually being any louder, and get more granular control of the output level, this would be a way to do it without getting a smaller cab?

More power = headroom in my book, currently running 1400 watts into a BF Big Twin T, competing with a drummer who hits like Chuck Connors and a guitarist who is contributing to continental drift...

Effortless bass in a distortion crazed world...

OP, try turning the amp up a touch and the bass output down, you'll not affect your signal to noise ratio much as you're playing at such low volumes anyway. At least you can then control your onstage volume from the bass and not have to go to the amp every time.

Edited by WinterMute

• 6 months later...