Why become a member? ×

split coil 5 stringers?

Salt on your Bass?

Hi, im considering chnging my bass. I like p-basses and spector at the mo, but was wondering whether there was any reason why split coil pups dont make much of an appearance on 5 string basses......unless ive missed something??

Is there a technical reason for this? Its mainly humbuckers and single coil. Just got me wondering whilst im looking around.

Cheets

Edited by Salt on your Bass?

Lee Sklar swore by the double splits on his old Charvel mongrel in terms of even pick up response. I have a feeling that P-bass pickups are more hassle than they are worth for manufacturers in terms of string spacing. But you can always ask Aaron Armstrong or Wizard Pickups to make you a custom set for not much more than you'd pay for a name brand.

Sandberg do a split p on their California V and VM models and the Basic VM model. I'm pretty sure the Panther model has a split p under the neck pickup cover too. Awesome basses!

I'm sure Mike Lull, Sadowsky, Alleva Coppollo, and various other high end luthiers do them too.

• 2 weeks later...

5 string P pickups present a number of challenges to pickup designers in terms of getting them to sound right . Apparently there are peculiaries to adapting that design to a five string thast make it hard to bget an even - sounding response across all five strings . Add to that the fact that there are not that many P5s on the market and that is why there are not nearly as many five string Precision -style pickups on the market for builders to choose from .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1363813675' post='2018192']
Lee Sklar swore by the double splits on his old Charvel mongrel in terms of even pick up response.[/quote]That is because you can set each part of the pickup to the optimum height to compensate for the crown radius of the fingerboard. I've only seen one split pickup that I would put on a bass. I had never seen it before. Most split 5-string pickups are simply 2+3 or 3+2 configuration, and some guys try to use a standard Precision pickup and run the A string down the middle with close string spacing at the bridge. This pickup had two sections of the same geometry, 3+3. But the overlapped portion omitted a pole piece from one of the sections. This might actually have some merit to its performance: Sandberg bass, Delano pickups. But I'm still in favor of a straight EMG style pickup to retain consistent string sampling, with the "neck" or "mid" position pickup in the same place as the D-G segment of a P-bass in order to retain the proper balance of fundamental and overtones, especially so the B string speaks clearly.

Edited by iiipopes

• 2 weeks later...

Which bit looks "wrong"?

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Basses%20CURRENT/Alleva%20Coppolo%20KBP5%202009%20CURRENT/DSCF3846.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Basses%20CURRENT/Alleva%20Coppolo%20KBP5%202009%20CURRENT/DSCF3846.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Basses%20CURRENT/Mike%20Lull%20P5%202011%20CURRENT/CIMG1360_zps9dd7faae.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Basses%20CURRENT/Mike%20Lull%20P5%202011%20CURRENT/CIMG1360_zps9dd7faae.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1366288354' post='2050527']
Which bit looks "wrong"?
[/quote]

They look ever so right to me.......LOVE those two precisions, absolutely stunning both of them. A P5 is next on my list, hopefully a Lull. Have you ever tried the Fender P5 out of interest? I would love to know if they held up against two of the best two P5's money can buy.

Edited by NJE