Why become a member? ×

What does scooped mean?

BassYerbouti

I think I might be the only one on here who doesn't know what scooped means, it seems to get a mention on many of the posts I read discussing tone. Is it desirable or to be avoided, how do I know when I have it?

I have an OTB rig and a play mostly a Precision and sometimes a Stingray. There is so much opportunity for changing the tone with the EQ on the Stingray and the EQ on the OTB I haven't really hit on 'my' sound yet, what sounds nice at home doesnt cut through when playing with the band so I end up leaving everything set to the middle on all the knobs and just crank up the amp until I can hear it.

All advice on EQ settings and what scooped means much appreciated.

regards,

BYB

A 'scooped' sound is usually achieved by boosting the bass and treble frequencies and cutting the mid frequencies. (Also known as the 'smiley face' EQ :P). It is often avoided by players because the mids can allow the bass tone to be much more audible in amongst other instruments.

So far as general EQ goes, I found the EQ controls on my OTB didn't really do much, lol. I usually left the bass and treble at 12 o'clock, and boosted the mids to 3 o'clock. I used a precision with it, and had the gain at 12 o'clock, volume at around 9 o'clock. It was a nice sound.

[quote name='BassYerbouti' timestamp='1363356747' post='2011731']
I think I might be the only one on here who doesn't know what scooped means, it seems to get a mention on many of the posts I read discussing tone. Is it desirable or to be avoided, how do I know when I have it?

I have an OTB rig and a play mostly a Precision and sometimes a Stingray. There is so much opportunity for changing the tone with the EQ on the Stingray and the EQ on the OTB I haven't really hit on 'my' sound yet, what sounds nice at home doesnt cut through when playing with the band so I end up leaving everything set to the middle on all the knobs and just crank up the amp until I can hear it.

All advice on EQ settings and what scooped means much appreciated.

regards,

BYB
[/quote]

A Stingray has got a natural midrange "scoop " to it's sound anyway - it's a big part of what makes a Stingray sound like it does - so it isn't likely you would want to cut the mids too much with that bass . The scooped sound can sound appealing when you're playing at home or in a studio situation , but playing with a live band it can be very difficult to make yourself heard clearly with a very mid-scooped tone . Your approach of starting out with a flat EQ and then fine - tuning your sound so you can hear yourself is very sensible and the right way to approach things .

Nobody really knew what it meant until you started playing with graphics..and TE introduced them on their amps..
so you could see quite easily what the sound sounded like in relation to frequencies.
The default pre-set, IIRC, on TE amps was akin to a smile..hence the smiley face reference.

As above. It literally means that all the mid frequencies have been "scooped out". Sounds great at home but gets lost in a lot of band mixes. Slap players still tend to favour a scooped tone (for some reason)...

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1363357575' post='2011761']
With the tone controls on the bass terror, scooped is what you are stuck with.
[/quote]

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1363360833' post='2011833']
A Stingray has got a natural midrange "scoop " to it's sound anyway - it's a big part of what makes a Stingray sound like it does - so it isn't likely you would want to cut the mids too much with that bass
[/quote]

This would explain why I couldn't get on with the OTB I tried, or my old Stingray

Edited by Roland Rock

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1363362359' post='2011863']
This would explain why I couldn't get on with the OTB I tried, or my old Stingray
[/quote]

In terms of frequency response , the Stingray is a very weird bass . It has massive bottom end , some mids missing , some mids added and lots going on in the treble . It all adds up, to the Stingray tone we all know and most people love .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1363363184' post='2011885']
In terms of frequency response , the Stingray is a very weird bass . It has massive bottom end , some mids missing , some mids added and lots going on in the treble . It all adds up, to the Stingray tone we all know and most people love .
[/quote]

I was young with no idea about eq, so I suspect I just hoiked all three knobs to the max :blush:
It would be interesting to have a go on a Ray now and see if I could get a tone I liked, now that I'm a bit more clued up.

Unfortunately my entire band are clued up about mids, so everyone boosts them and we end up with a big mess. I'm going to start cutting mine back (I play guitar) to give the other guitar and the bass more room I think... oh for a parametric EQ.

Edited by Wil

[quote name='BassYerbouti' timestamp='1363363278' post='2011887']
Thanks All, I have learnt a lot from you. Now if only I had my rig and guitar with me in the office (where I am supposed to be working) I could try it all out now.

regards,

BYB
[/quote]

And now you know why you've sounded like Mark King for all these years :D

[quote name='Wil' timestamp='1363363878' post='2011904']
Unfortunately my entire band are clued up about mids, so everyone boosts them and we end up with a big mess. I'm going to start cutting mine back ([b]I play guitar[/b]) to give the other guitar and the bass more room I think... oh for a parametric EQ.
[/quote]

You do what!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1363361651' post='2011850']
Slap players still tend to favour a scooped tone (for some reason)...
[/quote]

I think a lot of the reason for this is that you get a lot of nasty mid range stuff happening when slapping on strings that are not fresh enough - with decent strings it sound just fine on a flat sound. But even then it only gets you so far, there is nothing worse sounding that someone slapping on old strings - something I've been "treated" to on a few occasions recently watching local bands.

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1363357575' post='2011761']
With the tone controls on the bass terror, scooped is what you are stuck with.
[/quote]
This.

Bass and treble turned right down and mid right up flattens things out though. Check out the [url="http://btpub.boyd-printing.com/publication/?i=76122"]Bass Gear mag review[/url] (page 76).

Mids are a difficult thing... and need to be managed carefully.
You are just as capable of burying your sound like that as anythng else.

You can punch through the band in terms of volume and cut down below but lose
definition higher up so the sound is complete mush.

It is more about seperation than forcing your way thru a wall

So what about those of us with things like a Shuttle 6? Most people say put everrything at 12 o'clock but I don't really know how to use the Mids boost/cut or what frequency to boost or cut.
The Terror I had was great after the valves were changed, so easy to use and such a great rock sound.