Why become a member? ×

how i do to play on time???

busccini

Two things I find helps:

One? Less is more. I don't know a single band that put more stock in flashy fast stuff over being able to hold a solid groove, tucked in with the drummer.

Two? If you can't hum it, you'll struggle to play it. Try to hear the part you're you're attempting to play, first and the fingers will follow!

Try playing that line with only half, or even just a third of the notes and then occasionally adding the odd fill. That way it should work better rhythmically and the occasional fill will sound more effective.

EDIT Feel free to ignore this completely because, as ever, it's just my opinion.

Edited by ezbass

Always positive to extend one's 'vocabulary' a bit - a drum machine backing doesn't have the fly moves of a real drummer and dialing in to what drummers do usually leads to some great musical ideas and inspiration.

The wonderful thing about the bass is that we get to add notes and harmony to a great rhythmic idea - do you play with a drummer or other musicians? Some of the most fun I have had whilst jamming is having musical conversations with other players where they take you to an entirely different musical space....keep up the good work ! A good groove is always a good groove!

Edited by ubassman

If it helps... Try and get hold of a book called "The Working Bassists Toolkit" by Ed Friedland - there's a section in the book devoted to "getting good time" with a lot of exercises working with the metronome.

Playing a groove doesn't always mean playing a lot of notes - the space in between is just as important.

Looking at the clip, I think it`s a bit misleading. Reason why I think that is, at the parts where you`re doing a run, rather than the regular bass-line, usually the drums would do a fill, or something other than the regular beat. As this isn`t happening, it gives the impression of not being in complete time. I think you may be beating yourself up about something which you don`t really need to.

I usually have a good sense of rhythm but when things get messy one thing that helps, and makes me tighter with a drummer or drum machine, is to tap my foot to the beat. I don't usually do it (I know many others do) but when it's a difficult rhythm or a drum machine, which is difficult to hear clearly live, it makes things easier.

I know it seems simple but it's very effective.

Edited by gjones

Good evening, busccini...

I've just given your video a listen, and I'm tempted to ask what the problem is. You're on the beat, all the time, so not slowing down or accelerating. That's good. Too many notes..? To me, that's normal; you're playing alone. With a group, or orchestra, the other players will be laying down melody, harmony and rhythm; you'd find your place in there and 'lighten up' a whole lot, except for a solo spot, or a really 'cooking' session.
Not much to work on, I'm afraid, from me. Keep playing as tastily as that and you're in with a chance, I'd say. Change nothing.
Just my tuppence-worth; hope this helps...

There's being in time and there's being in the groove. Apart from a couple of notes where you're a bit too eager and come in early, you're in time. However, it doesn't groove as much as it should. So you're playing the notes, but not quite feeling them. Listen to beats 2 and 4 as this is where the groove tends to fall apart. And as others have said, try playing with a lot less notes, but make each note count more. I think you're playing the groove to The Chicken? Listen to the original, and pay close attention not to the notes that Jaco plays, but the timing, placement of the notes and overall phrasing that makes it so musical.

[quote name='OldG' timestamp='1362910085' post='2005968']
Whatever you do - lock in with the kick...
[/quote]

This sounds like a totally obvious thing but dont take it for granted.
I find that when im recording parts i really block most everything else out and only listen to the kick and snare trying to hit the strings in perfect sync with the drums and it does make a difference.
Playing live im probably a much looser cat :) but not so youd notice.

Set a metronome to 60 and clap along to it. If you are on the beat you will not here the metronome, if you're off you'll hear a double sound. Once you're happy at 60, speed up to 70 and repeat. Keep upping the tempo.

For further exercises (thank you Lisa, my bass teacher), set the metronome to 30 but clap in double time (on the off beat as well) so every other clap should be in time. Speed up and repeat etc.

Finally start at 20 and clap four times so every fourth clap should sound on the beat. Repeat etc.

It's a lot harder than it sounds :)

Steve

I don't think you're playing out of time. What I think is happening is that when you're playing a fill or moving away from the core groove you're just not always getting yourself back into the groove again in a smooth fashion.

In particular, sometimes you are trying to squeeze an extra note or two into a fill and the groove becomes secondary. There's a good example of you doing this at 0.16 to 0.18. You play a nice little lick but as you get to the downbeat it feels rushed and awkward because there's only just time to start the groove again without any lead into it. It feels sudden, which is not the same as out of time.

I'm guilty of this on occasions. In my covers band I can be playing a song I've played 100s of times before and for some reason, the jazz fairy srpinkles some magic dust and I'll wander off piste. If I happen to catch myself thinking about it at the wrong time, I'll end up a long way from the correct note and beat.

You can get away with it as an occasional fluff, but if it's regular habit then you need to start planning how you get back to the groove earlier in your improvisation.

I think you sound great! It's not like you are playing 4 to the bar and always miles away.... try listening to this one from Victor - all about getting with the pulse.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRmiTta995o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRmiTta995o[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='julietgreen' timestamp='1363445704' post='2012836']
Play with other musicians.
[/quote]

This is the best advice here and it's all good advice. I couldn't play that well and people pay me to play bass and there's even the odd musician who asks me to join their band.

There's nothing much wrong with your playing, You are easily good enough to get behind a band, it's a different skill to the one you have developed but you'll be great. You'll have so much fun.