Why become a member? ×

How to fatten up your slap tone?

Gunsfreddy2003

I am increasingly beginning to hate my sound when slapping!

As soon as I switch to my thumb I find that all of the bottom end and volume seems to go from my sound. I have tried unsing compressors and a pre-amp pedal to compensate but what I am then left with is a very artificial sounding tone that I don't really like.

I like to have the bass control on my guitars up high so no option to dial more bass by hand and then back off again.

Does anyone have any advice or solutions on this one?

Maybe work on it backwards. Get your amp set with a tone that is good for slapping, but too bassy for your regular playing. Then get some form of pedal - graphic for example - to get your regular tone, then switch off the pedal for the slapping?

Edited by Lozz196

It depends on what you like. I like my slap tone both fat and tight, heavily compressed.

The compressor I use is particularly good for this, on account of its features.

It's a Trace Elliot SMX Dual Band Compressor. Because it's dual band it is possible to set the level of compression of the highs and lows individually (each is foot-switchable which is handy when changing between slap and finger style), and it has an eq sweep control which emphisises either highs or lows. Ramping up the compression and setting the eq dial 3/4 into the bass hemisphere gives a [b]FAT[/b] slap tone, no mistake. It's also worth noting that I set the low compression to 10 and the high compression to 7 (that's on a scale of 1 to10, there's no numbers on the pedal).

I have never used flats but always imagine that they will be a bit dull when playing finger style?

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1362696224' post='2003676']
Use flats, I love the fatter tone of slapped flats compared to rounds, a much fuller, almost kickdrum-esque thud. You lose zing at the top, but not as much of the highs as you'd perhaps expect.
[/quote]

I have no problem with a compressed sound at all. At the moment I am using a Mark Bass MB Boost and EBS Multi Comp but it just sounds so "synthetic" when engaged.

The strange thing is that when playing alone I really like my tone/sound for both finger style and slap particularly from the '77 Stingray but when with the band the slap sound just loses everything.

[quote name='Fionn' timestamp='1362698325' post='2003710']
It depends on what you like. I like my slap tone both fat and tight, heavily compressed.

The compressor I use is particularly good for this, on account of its features.

It's a Trace Elliot SMX Dual Band Compressor. Because it's dual band it is possible to set the level of compression of the highs and lows individually (each is foot-switchable which is handy when changing between slap and finger style), and it has an eq sweep control which emphisises either highs or lows. Ramping up the compression and setting the eq dial 3/4 into the bass hemisphere gives a [b]FAT[/b] slap tone, no mistake. It's also worth noting that I set the low compression to 10 and the high compression to 7 (that's on a scale of 1 to10, there's no numbers on the pedal).
[/quote]

I would bet good monet that you have too much bass and too little low mid.

I used to have similar issues years ago the solution was to have some lo mid yo punch the slap parts through and fatten up the fingerstyle.

Works a treat but you have to lose the deep bass a bit or it will be muddy....

Oh and heavier strings (45 to 130 on my 5 string) can help too....

Hooray! A bassist who doesn't want that "all treble and nothing else on a jazz bridge pickup" slap tone. I HATE that so much!

All good stuff here! I'm sure you've tried this already, but it hasn't been mentioned in the thread.. But when I mess around with slap bass, my thumb hits the strings somewhere between the fretboard and the neck pickup. Believe it or not, I've seen people slap right over the bridge pickup before!

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1362701693' post='2003764']
I would bet good monet that you have too much bass and too little low mid.

I used to have similar issues years ago the solution was to have some lo mid yo punch the slap parts through and fatten up the fingerstyle.

Works a treat but you have to lose the deep bass a bit or it will be muddy....

Oh and heavier strings (45 to 130 on my 5 string) can help too....
[/quote]

This this this!!

Low mids are your friend. I'm gonna get the East MM Preamp for my Stingray. Tried it at the bass show and loved it. Mid frequency knob rolled down near the bottom, and the slightest boost just gives this huge punchy but still authentic Stingray sound.

I agree with you on the string gauges too. I've tried lighter gauge strings and always thought they sounded thinner. Maybe it's a technique thing? How hard do you dig in with your fingers? I found that if you're digging in particularly hard, it really de-emphasises the transition to slap. I try to let the amp do all the work, and play with a light touch finger style, so when you switch to slap, dynamics-wise it really stands out. There's also the option of rolling down your bass volume so you can dig in and then roll it right up for the slap parts? I've never tried it, but it could work I guess!

Hope some of that drivel was helpful :)

I find that cabs make a big difference. I can slap any cab. But, I need a 4x10 to be in slap paradise.
On smaller setups, and in general, I find the bass disappears and the tweeter takes over.

Now, come on, hate me and tell me you have a massive slap sound with your 1x10 :lol:[size=4] [/size]

Funnily enough I not a fan of the MM slap tone...it was fine when LJ was doing it but I find the MM pre amp clumsy in this regard.
I eventually backed off EVERYTHING ...as that bass boost is very powerful and +15db of treble cuts your head off in a very harsh tone.

The bass slap tone is inherrently going to be scooped for most people but the trick is setting up the bass to sound good with both styles.
I normally start with the slap tone and work back to fingers... and you really want these to work with no EQ adjustments at all.

Flats are a good idea... if you can get a cultured sound from them... and this can set your sound apart from the classic smiley tones..!!!

Slap have evolved so much that no one uses the classic 80-90's sounds..or style, for that matter...IMO.. or really shouldn't.. :lol:

IME you do get less low end when slapping, and less perceived volume. If all I wanted was a nice clean bass tone, and a nice slap tone which was even with it, I'd get an EQ pedal and a compressor. I'd set the compressor so that it didn't even touch the finger style playing, and leave it on the whole time. Then I'd set the EQ pedal to boost the signal so that it's over the threshold of the compressor. Then I'd play with the sliders on the EQ until both sounds are even.

But yeh I would take some lows out of your signal, then you won't notice the difference as much. And distorted slap bass is the best!

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1362695377' post='2003650']

As soon as I switch to my thumb I find that all of the bottom end and volume seems to go from my sound. I have tried unsing compressors and a pre-amp pedal to compensate but what I am then left with is a very artificial sounding tone that I don't really like.

I like to have the bass control on my guitars up high so no option to dial more bass by hand and then back off again.

[/quote]

Good question. I for one appreciate all the advice so far on this one, as I'm a bit of an old slapper meself :)

No problem with dialing in more bass and tone by hand, but IME a smoother slap sound can be gained by; a. rolling off the mid's - the 300 to 400hz area on a graphic or active parametric etc - b. slap off the last fret on the fingerboard; and c. try playing with just the rear pick-up selected? works for me.

:hi:

Maybe there should be a thread with folk showing their amp, bass and pedal settings for 'their' slap sound - could be a real eye opener? B)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1362745855' post='2004111']
A subtle chorus can add a bit more "body" to your sound as well :)
[/quote]

^^^ this. could start up the old argument 'who needs effects?' ... :rolleyes:

Edited by SimonEdward

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1362695377' post='2003650']

As soon as I switch to my thumb I find that all of the[b] bottom end and volume [/b]seems to go from my sound. I have tried unsing compressors and a pre-amp pedal to compensate but what I am then left with is a very artificial sounding tone that I don't really like.

[/quote] my money on you're compensating for loosing the volume by hitting harder and then loosing the bottom end....

Decent bass with a decent setup should sound good slapped or fingered.

My guess is you are over compensating on the eq for the finger tone.

Try getting rid of deep bass and bump up the low mids. Maybe around the 100hz mark.

Difficult to tell without sound clips, as you maybe nitpicking about something that isn't really a big problem.
Us bassists are fussy buggers.

As light compressor seems to do the trick in thickening up slap sounds for most people.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1364676799' post='2029639']
Cheers for all the tips and advice guys, I have taken some onboard and am going to try these along with the acquisition of a new pedal!!
[/quote]

A new pedal? to fatten up slap tone? can we ask which one you've decided to go for.. :)

Opted for the Diamond Bass Compressor - the option of a compressor, signal booster and eq in one pedal was too much to resist and so far the early indicators are pretty good. Utilising this with some adjustments to playing style and eq on the bass and amp should hopefully cure this bloody problem.