Why become a member? ×

Jens Ritter basses...

Grand Wazoo

[url="http://www.ritter-basses.com/"]http://www.ritter-basses.com/[/url]

I saw Jens Ritter at the show and admired some of his "creations". You can't deny that they all look like "one-off" works of art, and they've got a price tag to show it, yet... I keep looking at them and thinking about them being an impractical gigging bass, too pricey for your local pub gig, God forbid if you get it scratched or dented. What would you do if you had one? Bear in mind that you would have to spend at least £4000 - £5000 for the average model.

So my question is, even if money was not an issue, would you buy one and how would you justify the purchase and finally where would you use it?

I couldn't own one. It would almost be akin for me to buying a diamond-studded Rolex, the crucial difference being that 99% of people in the pub actually have no idea about how much it cost anyway. Looks-wise it's the height of bad taste for me too, just like the diamond Rolex would be.

I think he has an incredible eye for design. There are some that I don't like at all, and some I adore, but it's that boldness and originality in design that I love. In my opinion, the R8 single cut is the most elegant single cut I've seen. His work is as much an artistic statement as it is about quality instruments.

So, to answer your questions, I'd have the R8 five string fretted, in 'damaged desktop' finish. I'd justify it as I view it as a work of art as well as a superlative instrument. I'd play it in all the usual pubs and clubs, as it's insured up the ass. I'm not too precious about dings, and with that finish it would be even less of an issue :-)

Well eventually Jens will die and he will stop making basses; Ritters that have been kept in tip-top condition will be worth a small fortune as the most exotic bass guitars of the early 21st Century!

If I had the money, I'd buy a 4 string Cora and not use it and I will display it as a work of art and hand it down to my children. Eventually they'll be able to sell it for drugs or something!

Truckstop

If money was no object I'd have 2 matching black Jupiter's to go on my living room wall, one on either side of the fire breast wall! And before I get flamed by the people who will say "basses are meant to be played", I said if money was no object, so I'd obviously buy a third one to play while I looked at the other 2! I think they are stunning creations.

The price of older instruments is usually dictated by nostalgia more than anything. If there aren't a whole load of associations to a large enough segment of the market, the price realistically won't go up much if at all. Supply won't outstrip demand.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1362618554' post='2002406']
I was about to launch into my usual anti-Ritter routine until I saw this...

Not sure I'd want to own it (even if I could afford it), but you've got to admit it's original! :D
[/quote]

Love it! I would happily gig this with any rock/metal/punk type outfit :D

I love the look of pretty much all of his designs and finishes, but how do they [i]play[/i]?

I think that if I could afford to buy one then I wouldn't be too bothered about dings and things. I'm not that bothered about them anyway, certainly after the first one!

Actually you know, thinking about what else you can get for five grand (a reasonable second-hand car, a decent holiday for a family of five, a modest extension to your house...) suddenly the price of a Ritter doesn't seem [i]too[/i] bad! :)

I don't own a Ritter but I do own several basses whose new price puts them in the Ritter price bracket. They all get used (provided of course that they are the right bass for the band I'm in at the time). I look after them, but I'm not precious about it. They go to whichever gigs they are suited to for looks and sound and a lot of those are venues where the audience is inches away from me. If they pick up too may dings I can always get them refinished - one already has been and two more are likely to get a refin some time in the next 10 years.

Personally I'd rather spend the money on having some nice musical instruments that I will enjoy playing, than a lot of the alternatives mention in this thread. They are certainly better VFM than any car you could buy for the same price.

I've played I think 8 Ritters in my time both 4&5 strings. ALL have played, felt and sounded amazing. If i had the money I would have no issue justifying the price as I know the effort that goes into these instruments and you can see the quality in the end result. If you are looking at £4000-5000 price range for a Ritter think, you could not get a new Fodera for that.

As for where I would use it, anywhere really. Maybe if i was in a really high quality tribute act I may think twice.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1362644859' post='2002488']
The price of older instruments is usually dictated by nostalgia more than anything. If there aren't a whole load of associations to a large enough segment of the market, the price realistically won't go up much if at all. Supply won't outstrip demand.
[/quote]

Foderas have shot up in value in recent years. Many earlier ones now worth double what they were a few years ago.

Used Ritters are currently, understandably, worth less than a new one because they haven't hit that level where the new prices have risen in line with several years of inflation

However, like Fodera who've now had 30 years to grow, it wouldn't surprise me if Ritters are trading at well above their original new prices in a few years time.

I own a couple and I have to say that they are just stunning basses to play. Each one sounds a little different from the last but all of them feel beautiful in your hands and can be very inspiring to play - they just make you want to reach out and grab them for a quick blast every time you walk past the guitar rack :)

I have a pub gig in a few weeks - quite tempted to use my main Cora for it. . .

Edited by molan

If I had unlimited funds I'd love to own a Ritter bass. Enjoying the aesthetics of your bass imho is part of the pleasure of picking it up to play and practice.

My personal choice would be the Roya body shape.

Ritter need a higher profile player than the guy who used to be in the Grateful Dead, in for the second-hand market to take off.

Currently my favourite Ritter isn't any of his basses but the [url=http://www.ritter-basses.com/monroe.php]Monroe Guitar[/url]. If I had the spare cash I'd buy one in a heart-beat!

How do they sound? Well here are a few youtube examples:

This one seems to go through many of the pickup combinations

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3N1jBP02dE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3N1jBP02dE[/url]

Or Lubiankier trying one

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ntNYwVl8UI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ntNYwVl8UI[/url]

If money was no object would I have one?? Absolutely.

Would I ever take it out?? Unlikely.

Pub Gig? Never - it'd be like taking Audrey Hepburn (dressed to the nines) into your local Public Bar...

Must say these at the LBGS were sex for your eyes..

[IMG]http://i1167.photobucket.com/albums/q639/FairfaxAikman/LBGS2013015_zps4a7634a0.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='Mr Fretbuzz' timestamp='1362660112' post='2002858']
I'd love a funky coloured one but how good do they sound?
[/quote]

They sound universally great!

Jens has a really good understanding of woods and sound and can custom build them to try and tailor them to someone's requirements.

One of mine is an alder bodied passive model with single coil pickups. Kinda sounds like a really nice Fender J but without any of the foibles :)