Why become a member? ×

Finally realised

hamfist

I finally, finally realised..........

It's not the bass, or the amp, or the cab, or the effects thats the most important. They ALL are.

Your rig will sound as bad as your weakest link.

Tone is in the fingers ? Yes, to a certain degree. But if that is all there was to it, all you guys would be playing on cheap stuff, and you're not are you !!

Arguably, yes, you're right, but listen to players like Sharay Reed. One of the best players alive (IMO of course!) and plays on extremely cheap gear.

I believe that is IS all in the fingers, and that's why I play a Lakland Skyline and not a luthier bass.

However, it's a lot harder on your fingers if you're playing a badly made bass, that's why people spend the money!

To some extent yes, but James Brown's bassist played a Music Man SUB bass, that's a £500 bass! Don't forget, good gear can sound cheap to, and some gear works for some and not for others. I can't get a listenable sound out of Ampeg heads but the cabs sound great with my playing through them.

Dan

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1362209460' post='1997114']
Your rig will sound as bad as your weakest link.
[/quote]
Sadly, it is often the player themselves that is the 'weakest link'

Of course, the gear that you use is important - but only to a point.
No player in the world can make a £400 amp and bass sound like a £4,000 amp and bass. But line up several different £4000 rigs and get a half decent player to work his way along the rigs, the best part of his 'tone' will move right along with him.

There comes a point when mostly what you are paying big bucks for is[b] power[/b]!

Edited by SteveK

[size=4][quote name='alstocko' timestamp='1362223919' post='1997130'][/size]
Arguably, yes, you're right, but listen to players like Sharay Reed. One of the best players alive (IMO of course!) and plays on extremely cheap gear.
[/quote]

I thought he'd played an Fender American Deluxe Jazz?

[quote name='thumbo' timestamp='1362226513' post='1997196']
[size=4]

I thought he'd played an Fender American Deluxe Jazz?
[/quote]
On some of the videos he plays a squier, and always with a borrowed backline...

Even then, the fender isn't such an expensive bass (compared to some luthiers!)

Lots of basses I've had have been a limiting factor in either sound or neck dimensions and while I could sound 'good' on them I couldn't sound my best on them...the lakland 55-02 I recently had and now the acg I've got are both seriously good basses and the acg is way better than I am so I don't expect to run out of room on it any time soon!

I've seen people play amazingly on budget instruments, and others play crap on expensive instruments. It is the player, not the gear.

Maybe that's why guys on here keep changing what they've got, they're searching for something that can't be bought.

If you buy an expensive bass, string it with the latest highly fashionable and expensive strings, and play it through a boutique amp and cab that a guy in bass shop tells you, you absolutely must have, but then proceed to play it using your less than good technique (sloppy fretting, uneven picking etc}, then unfortunately you'll still sound crap.

Jaco Pastorius was once talking to a fan. The fan kept saying how amazing Jaco's bass was, how amazing it sounded, and how he wished he had one like it. Jaco took his bass off and stood it in the corner, turned to the guy and said "does it still sound amazing now ?"

Look at guys like Pino, Tony Levin, Jaco, Guy Pratt, Victor Bailey, Louis Johnson, Bernard Edwards, Marcus Miller, Paul Turner, Julian Crampton and dozens more, they use 'normal' basses on the whole.

Edited by ambient

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1362225701' post='1997171']
Baddly made or baddly set up.

I read a post elsewhere recently that talked about a good setup making a cheap bass play like a million dollar bass.
[/quote]

A Mr M Phillips will sell you a seller refurbished guitar on ebay if you want. Apparently all it takes is a file to the nut and a twerk of the trussrod. He had his own thread. I can't paste the link as I'm on my phone posting this.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1362252914' post='1997672']

He will henceforth be known as 'Twerk of the Trussrod'. :)
[/quote]

LOL. I think sums him up. I'll have to get to his thread and paste the post.

Is it this one? Probably one of several.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/177038-mark-d-phillips-guitar-improvermaster-bodger-this-guy-cracks-me-up/page__hl__mark%20d%20philips"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/177038-mark-d-phillips-guitar-improvermaster-bodger-this-guy-cracks-me-up/page__hl__mark%20d%20philips[/url]

I don't recall seeing the phrase here, but in the climbing world we have a saying - "all the gear and no idea".

Latest boots (with the price ticket still on them), latest rucksack, latest waterproof GPS and yards of the latest high performance, multiple layer Goretex.
They're usually the ones who end up getting lost or need to be carried off the peak on a stretcher.

The purpose of that story is to point out that, no matter how much money you throw at something, if you don't know how to use it, you'll come a cropper.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1362262038' post='1997808']
I don't recall seeing the phrase here, but in the climbing world we have a saying - "all the gear and no idea".

Latest boots (with the price ticket still on them), latest rucksack, latest waterproof GPS and yards of the latest high performance, multiple layer Goretex.
They're usually the ones who end up getting lost or need to be carried off the peak on a stretcher.

The purpose of that story is to point out that, no matter how much money you throw at something, if you don't know how to use it, you'll come a cropper.
[/quote]

Kind of what I said. Too many people seem to blame the gear, or lack of it for the shortcomings in what's happening, or not happening in their playing, not just on this site, but take a look at the for sale section and you'll see what I mean. People change amps and cabs 'cos their slap sound isn't happening, when in fact it's their technique that sucks.
I find it amazing to see that people will spend thousands on a new Bergantino rig, but won't spend considerably less on a few lessons that will improve their sound and playing. Then 6 months later, the Bergantino rig is for sale, at a huge loss, cos guess what, it hasn't done what they hoped it would.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1362248852' post='1997595']
Maybe that's why guys on here keep changing what they've got, they're searching for something that can't be bought.
[/quote]

This, or else they're searching for something that can be bought, but has nothing to do with music - new toy gratification (it never lasts).

For the majority of us here (me included) a decent Jazz bass of Squier upwards quality and some form of quality amp with at least either a 2x10 or 1x15 cab will get you 90% there, after that its for the fun of it and if your enjoying your nice gear you will enjoy the gig, if you enjoy the gig others will enjoy watching it ;)