Why become a member? ×

I want a P bass shocker!

Dread Bass

Heeeelp. This thread is a mirror of my mind at the moment. It was the Scott Devine video that resonated with me yesterday- his words could have been mine (not his playing though more's the pity)- always been a jazz bass guy and then have played, and loved my avatar bass for over 10 years.
I got the urge a few months back- it's a midlife thing for sure. I just feel the need for 4 strings and that tone that the P bass offers.
It will happen, of this I am sure :)

[quote name='chardbass' timestamp='1362154584' post='1996552']
I got the urge a few months back - it's a mid-life thing for sure...
[/quote]

Not for me! I bought my first Fender in 1976, an Olympic/Black/Maple USA P-Bass.
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/116578-precisions/page__view__findpost__p__1226142"]http://basschat.co.u...ost__p__1226142[/url]

I've never owned any other type of bass. Tried to like J-Basses, but to no avail. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1362153943' post='1996544']
Kind of related, I had a 1973 black/black/maple Fender P was my first 'proper' bass, it was s/h, around 6 years old at the time. I traded it in for a then new Aria SB a couple of years later. Could only afford the SB600 model. It was a good decision at the time, wouldn't be now though.
[/quote]

I had a white / maple 1971 Precision with a B- neck that I bought in 1987 as a stop - gap in between one fancy 1980s active bass and another . I sold it in 1989 for what I paid for it - approximately £200- and I was glad to get that for it . Last year I saw a 1978 one in the Gallery for £1850 . What would mine be worth now ? What's worse is , I still haven't spent the £200 !

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1362154381' post='1996551']
Yep, believe it or, I'm also thinking I'm starting to GAS for a Precision too and I'm such a Warwick lover. But I'm also convinced I'd get bored to death with it very quickly.
[/quote]

But you did, Nige, you did. The only P-bass that would ever really work for you was that Status Vintage Artist, and you moved that on ...

(Guess who has it now. B) )

Yes, I'm a P-bass convert after about 10 years playing jazzes. I have a Squier VM precision and it sounds creamy. Selling my SX precision to help fund a US standard, or a Roadworn, or even a Squier CV. Do it, they are perfect. :)

Yep, believe it or, I'm also thinking I'm starting to GAS for a Precision too and I'm such a Warwick lover. But I'm also convinced I'd get bored to death with it very quickly.
[/quote]

Oh dear, I have just put the chrome Warwick up for sale :lol:

Guest teamcoy

I was a Jazz Bass guy, Precision all the way now.

Tried G&L, Warwick, MusicMan, Rickenbacker, even tried putting a Precision neck on a Jazz. Kept that one but only as not worth enough to sell.

This thead seems to be having a strong effect on people. I must admit that it has moderately stirred something within me that craves simplicity. The tone that Paul Jackson got from his P-bass in the Herbie / Headhunters days is what it's all about, such basic goodness.

However, I can't afford to own multiple basses of the quality that I like, and if it came to making a choice, I doubt that I would have a P-bass over the up-front presence and "modern" tone of my active Warwick. I would miss the versatility too much. I would go as far as a Jazz bass though, as it's not quite so radical as a P.

Any time I want to talk myself out of potential P-bass gas, I try not to think about the Headhunters, and I think instead about all those country and western plebs with their P-basses and stetsons .... gross.

Started GASsing for a P about a year ago after getting the ClassicJ & having had active basses since '96. The ClassicJ sounded nice on its first outing so I decided to go for a P & ended up with a Squier as a stepping stone. Last dep i did I had the P & an L2500 and ended up back on the 5.

The GAS for a decent US P has slightly waned now and I shall probably keep the Squier & Tanglewater now, but you never know what tomorrow & LBGS13 will bring :rolleyes: Hopefully NOT another bass as last year (OOPS)

[/quote]

Make sure you get a springy one :)

My theory is they're so utilitarian and fit for purpose that you can just get on with the fun music stuff.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1362159435' post='1996654']
[/quote]

I would think very carefully before selling your Warwick to get a Precision , Nige . I love my Precision Bass , but there are times when most folks would crave a bit more variety . Your Warwick has already got a wicked modern P Bass sound amongst its' many tonal options , what real advantage would having a Fender offer ? Put simply , your Warwick will do the Precision thing but a Precision cannot get close to doing what the Warwick does . Another thing that occurs to me is that I shudder to think what the current U.K retail price would be on a German - made Warwick with that chrome finish .

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1362179596' post='1996985']
And here's another P bass in action:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pukOcZ4Tjk0[/media]
[/quote]

If you had an all- girl group called Fanny nowadays .. you would get some attention !

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1362236292' post='1997371']
I would think very carefully before selling your Warwick to get a Precision , Nige . I love my Precision Bass , but there are times when most folks would crave a bit more variety . Your Warwick has already got a wicked modern P Bass sound amongst its' many tonal options , what real advantage would having a Fender offer ? Put simply , your Warwick will do the Precision thing but a Precision cannot get close to doing what the Warwick does . Another thing that occurs to me is that I shudder to think what the current U.K retail price would be on a German - made Warwick with that chrome finish .
[/quote]
Yeah, I know. I often get a strong feeling that I want a change. For me my sounds come from the POD X3 (which I have never felt like selling), so basses are the fun interchangeable tools part of my equation. Must admit though, I had a bit of a panic dream last night regarding selling the CT :lol: I'm starting to have second thoughts which is a very good thing :D Thanks mate.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1362237402' post='1997387']
Yeah, I know. I often get a strong feeling that I want a change. For me my sounds come from the POD X3 (which I have never felt like selling), so basses are the fun interchangeable tools part of my equation. Must admit though, I had a bit of a panic dream last night regarding selling the CT :lol: I'm starting to have second thoughts which is a very good thing :D Thanks mate.
[/quote]

Something I once read here on Basschat that comes to mind when I think about Precision Basses is that , arguably more so than most other designs , a less expensive example can yield very acceptable results . Especially if you are thinking of going for the muted tone with flatwounds that is so fashionable at the moment , many budget model P basses that you can pick up for peanuts will give a very good version of that clunky sound . I bet that the final recorded sound from a decent Squier or similar would be very hard to distinguish in terms of quality from a USA Fender .

I like using P's...nothing else sounds like them, but I don't enjoy playing them standing up. The body feels cumbersome to me and I am not a fan of the necks. I am always on the hunt for an old P with a J neck. I have come across a couple in recent years, but nothing that has flick my switch yet.

I can get a Precision sound from my ACGs fairly easily. My ACGs will always be my go to basses but i think its the simplicity of the the p bass I am drawn to.

I have had a search about and i was surprised you cant get a lefty squier p bass. You can get one with a Jazz pickup at the bridge nut i don't want that.

I think i am going to take a punt on one of those kits.

[quote name='Dread Bass' timestamp='1362248256' post='1997585']
I can get a Precision sound from my ACGs fairly easily. My ACGs will always be my go to basses but i think its the simplicity of the the p bass I am drawn to.

I have had a search about and i was surprised you cant get a lefty squier p bass. You can get one with a Jazz pickup at the bridge nut i don't want that.

I think i am going to take a punt on one of those kits.
[/quote]

Simplicity for the one. This is what I love about my fretless W&T. Whilst it isn't a P-bass, having only one pickup forces you to get sounds just from the way you play the thing.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1362159435' post='1996654']
[/quote]

Hey Nige. If memory serves, you sold your East-fuelled Jazz citing lack of upper fret access/a 24 fret board. Is this something you've decided you can do without? Maybe GAS causes selective amnesia ;-)

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1362261748' post='1997804']
Hey Nige. If memory serves, you sold your East-fuelled Jazz citing lack of upper fret access/a 24 fret board. Is this something you've decided you can do without? Maybe GAS causes selective amnesia ;-)
[/quote]
S'right, hadn't forgotten :) GAS causes selective stupidity really, I'm looking at Jazzes again now :rolleyes:

I've withdrawn it now, must have gone f***ing mad for a few weeks :)

Edited by xilddx