Why become a member? ×

Wireless systems

Roger2611

Has anybody got experience of the current range of wireless guitar transmitters, I have an antique Samson VR-1 system that I have had for probably 15 years or more and still works fine, I have a feeling that mine is somewhat illegal nowdays and at one point I was told it was on the same frequencies that the RAF used! As I am trying to be a good citizen these days I thought I may look at going all legal

I know they used to be renowned for over compressing the sound but there seems to be good reviews on some of the recent models I have been looking at.

Do I need to look at a specific bass transmitter or will the standard one be fine, do I need to look at one that will hunt between channels (if it senses interference)

I am looking to spend a couple of hundred pounds max, can anybody recommend one or should I just stick to my trusty leads

Thanks
Rog

One word... Stageclix

No compression, no delay, digital transmission, choice of frequencies... ABS so can drive over with a truck and still work. Charges whilst plugged into the received. No trouble, just works.

£395 so over your budget, but beg, borrow or steal 'cause it's worth it.

[This poster was not subsidised or supported in any way by the maker or reseller of Stageclix. All words are that of the poster. etc. etc. etc.]

My vote goes for the Sony DWZ-B30GB. All the advantages of the StageClix but in a nicer package.The transmitter unit in particular is a really good hard wearing piece of kit. I can't fault it - no compounder, excellent range and low latency figures for a digital device. Love the fact that you can shove another pair of batteries in it - StageClix doesn't let you do this, a bit of a let down if you forget to charge your device before the gig. AAs are easily sourced. Even the reciever can work off a 9v battery should you forget/damage/not have enough sockets. Low battery indicator is also on the unit so you don't get caught out. Wide and narrow RF connections means that you have plenty of availble channels for connection should you ever witness interference.

A really well thought out piece of kit. And it's Sony. You know it's good. No drop outs experienced, I've taken it as far as 50m from the stage and it's still good - although latency (that of physical distance away from the sound source as opposed to that introduced by the wireless itself) means playing with a band is pretty hard unless you are using in ears... I also like the connectivity options - tuner out, main out, xlr out... and unique to this unit is the mic/instrument switch and attenuation switch - you can use this device as a lavier mic system and the attenuator switch is really useful if you have super hot output basses.

To be honest, these units are so good, you can't really go wrong. If you get the Line6, Stageclix or the Sony, they will all serve your purpose. Go for the one that you like the look of best.

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1359367807' post='1953490']
Another vote for Line 6 here. They just beat all competition in their price range (Except possibly Stageclix but that's out of budget)

Liam
[/quote]

How do you know? Have you tried them all? Or are you just saying this because you have Line6?

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1359368308' post='1953503']
How do you know? Have you tried them all? Or are you just saying this because you have Line6?
[/quote]

I don't have any as i can't afford one at the moment, but between me and a lot of other guys i know we've tested most of the name ones around that price range, and think the Line 6 is the best all round. As soon as i can afford one, there's a G50 going on my pedalboard.

Liam

I would have suggested the Samson Airline as it is more practical if you need to switch basses during a gig with the 'plug in' transmitter. However I did a quick check to see how much it currently sells for and the bass model seems to have been discontinued. They still seem to do a guitar version but maybe the bass model wasn't shifting enough units? I certainly have no issues with it considering it was one of the cheaper kits available. Maybe there are second hand units available either here or eBay? worth a look if you can find one.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1359368538' post='1953507']
I don't have any as i can't afford one at the moment, but between me and a lot of other guys i know we've tested most of the name ones around that price range, and think the Line 6 is the best all round. As soon as i can afford one, there's a G50 going on my pedalboard.

Liam
[/quote]

Tested - as in playing on real life gigs... where you can comment on the reliability of connections and the impact that wifi systems (like found in hotels) can have on these type of systems? You know about battery life, the ease of replacing components?

I'm not intending to single you out but recommendations on here when people haven't used them in anger in the field don't hold much water...

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1359368772' post='1953510']
Tested - as in playing on real life gigs... where you can comment on the reliability of connections and the impact that wifi systems (like found in hotels) can have on these type of systems? You know about battery life, the ease of replacing components?

I'm not intending to single you out but recommendations on here when people haven't used them in anger in the field don't hold much water...
[/quote]

The other guys i've been talking to regarding the Line 6 stuff have been on tour with them for the past year and a half without any issues. The other stuff has either been other bands i know who've had them and used them constantly (Sometimes 35 gigs a month) or has been stuff i've borrowed from friends or other bands and tested at gigs myself.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1359369705' post='1953523']
(Sometimes 35 gigs a month)
[/quote]

Wow thats a lot of gigs.......

I have the sony one on my board after the stageclix failed to support my basses output at all. solid pit of kit the reciever is a bit chunky IMO and takes a fair bit of space up on my tiny pedal board, the transmitter is better all round compared to the stageclix one also, easy to change batteries(no smashing on the back with your hand) and changing channels if far far simpler and easier to understand. The lights on both the transmitter abd reciever are all informative, battery/signal etc.

I do have troubles with static interference on one side of my practise room compared to the other where it is silent on all channels.

IT also runs on 9v, aswell as batteries along with it's own 12v supply.

The stageclix just gave distortion no matter what I did.

As a follow up to the Samson suggestion, I noticed one on here;

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/188602-samson-airline-bass-wireless-system-l100/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/188602-samson-airline-bass-wireless-system-l100/[/url]

This is not mine, I'm not the seller nor know if it is still available. I've used one of these on and off for 6 or 7 years and had no real problems with it apart from 2 gigs where i got interference from other signals and decided to switch to a cable rather than switch frequencies on the unit which would probably have solved it.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1359368538' post='1953507']
As soon as i can afford one, there's a G50 going on my pedalboard.[/quote]

What does the G50 do that the G30 doesn't do? I'm genuinely interested as I only want to buy once.

Main difference between the G50 and G30 is build quality.
G50 has a metal box, G30 is plastic. As for reliability / fuction I don't think there is much difference from what i've read

Edit: here you go http://line6.com/relay/compare.html

Edited by danthevan

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1359375567' post='1953666']
What does the G50 do that the G30 doesn't do? I'm genuinely interested as I only want to buy once.
[/quote]

Metal housing instead of plastic, 200ft range instead of 100ft (Though both of these are underestimated), and 12 channels instead of the 6 that G30 has, and the G50 reciever has a more reliable connector.

Liam

Edit: i meant Transmitter not Reciever.

Edited by LiamPodmore

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1359378496' post='1953734']
Metal housing instead of plastic, 200ft range instead of 100ft (Though both of these are underestimated), and 12 channels instead of the 6 that G30 has, and the G50 reciever has a more reliable connector.

Liam
[/quote]

Thanks Liam. :thank_you:

As a longtime airline user I love the convenience of the plug in transmitter but there can be a carrier type noise, particulalrly if the treble is boosted. Its not noticeable on stage but I will try the stage clix one day.
Had a line 6 relay from the US which was very good but I didnt like the flimsey little mini jack