Why become a member? ×

Can't Play

Marvin

Due to various things going on I haven't touched my basses in about 2 months.

Plugged one in today...and I can't play. Not a thing. No rhythm, no nothing. And what's more, I don't want to play. I've no interest in bass or bands.

It's all completely gone. :unsure:

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1358957491' post='1947632']
Put it away until you[i] do[/i] want to play.
[/quote]

That's what concerns me, it could be a long time before I'd want to.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1358957531' post='1947633']
Try and listen to some different music. Bass player music maybe if you dont already. Something to amaze and inspire you to be better. I find 'bands' increasingly tedious lately and am always looking for great players rather than great bands. Maybe, dunno. Either that or sod off ;)
[/quote]

:) Saw an amazing band over the weekend. It may have had the opposite effect of inspiring.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1358957539' post='1947634']
SAD syndrome?
Serious, not piss-take.
[/quote]

Certainly a strong possibility,

Don't want to put you off or anything. I felt that way in 1994. Picked up a bass a handful of over the next seven years with no inspiration whatsoever. 2001 came along with a whole series of coincidences and bass playing was great fun again. Took a complete change of direction into jazz and folk though. haven't looked back since then.

All that young person's music just doesn't do it for me now. Give me old peoples music anytime. :lol:[size=4] [/size]

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1358957169' post='1947623']

Plugged one in today...and I can't play. Not a thing. No rhythm, no nothing. [b]And what's more, I don't want to play[/b]. I've no interest in bass or bands.
[/quote]

So what's the problem then? There's no law that says you have to play bass.

Edit: re-reading my comment, I should point out that I'm not having a dig. I haven't played football since I was at school but that's only because I don't want to so it doesn't bother me at all.

Seriously, don't worry about it, just chill and do stuff you do want to do instead.

Edited by flyfisher

Plugged one in today...and I can't play. Not a thing. No rhythm, no nothing. And what's more, I don't want to play. I've no interest in bass or bands.

[/quote]There's no law that says because you have a bass and related gear that you have to play it till your dying day. Maybe playing bass is not for you. I'd give it another couple of months - if no change - flog your stuff, and look at something else to fill your spare time.

Hi Marvin, it depends what the other various things are. You could just be preoccupied with other things and music is just taking a back seat at the moment .

I tend to play classical or acoustic guitar when not in a band , sounds a whole lot better than plonking away on a bass on your own , so maybe another instrument will re- ignite the spark of music.
As previous posters say , there is no law that says you have to pick up your bass and play , take a bit of time out from it.
All the best .

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1358958207' post='1947654']
So what's the problem then? There's no law that says you have to play bass.

Edit: re-reading my comment, I should point out that I'm not having a dig. I haven't played football since I was at school but that's only because I don't want to so it doesn't bother me at all.

Seriously, don't worry about it, just chill and do stuff you do want to do instead.
[/quote]

Didn't read it that way anyway :) Cheers

Same for me - i stopped playing in bands and eventually playing the bass except on the very rare case at home over period of 10 yrs. Turned 50 bought a new bass for me birthday and it gave me some get up and go.
No real reason for stopping yrs ago. Just couldn't be bothered and other things were more interesting to me at that time.

Altho i'm not in a band at the moment I'm always looking and something will come along that suits what i want to do.

Not in any great rush to be in a band but i'm enjoying it when i am.

Give it a few more months and see what happens

PS I never sold my bass throughout. It was my pride and joy.

Dave

[/quote]

Funny thing is that I'm in pretty much the same boat , although I'm still playing in a covers band but I havent practiced at home since November simply because I've lost interest. The weird thing it that depite not having played for the best part of 2 months I had my first rehersal of the year last night and everyone was complmentary on my playing - not sure what that says about their expectations of my playing or my practice regime :lol: :lol:

I'm at a strange point now where I like playing bass in a band BUT I dont like listening to music :blink: :blink: :blink:

Go figure

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='thunderbird13' timestamp='1358960751' post='1947728']
I'm at a strange point now where I like playing bass in a band BUT I don't like listening to music :blink: :blink: :blink:
[/quote]

Me too, I think I lost interest in regularly listening to music somewhere between 25 and 30. I rarely even listen to music in the car even though I drive 2 hours a day usually. I love playing and studying music though.

Although thats a bit weird at face value, is it really any different to any other art form: we wouldn't necessarily think it strange that a painter, dancer or poet rarely paid any attention to other peoples work ..

Edited by bassman7755

[/quote]

I've had similar. Somewhere around '02 the band I was with at the time kinda drifted apart for a number of reasons, and after our last gig I didn't even pick up a bass for some 7-8 years. Just couldn't be arsed, which was possibly part of the reason for the band folding.

I noodled around at home a bit with an acoustic guitar and developed a dirty banjo habit, but had no urge for the bass at all. Just stacked all my gear under the stairs and left it there...

...until mid 2010, when some mates got in touch asking if I'd be up for a one-off gig for a laugh in a local pub.

So I did it, and had a whale of a time. The one-off scratch band is still together, getting more gigs than we can do, and I think I'm enjoying playing more than I've ever done.

As others have said, if you don't wanna play, don't. Life's short mate - do stuff you do want to do.

I genuinely believe that this is all part of being creative.

it's maybe not much consolation, but that part of us that makes us excited and want to make music, is the part of us that sometimes needs us to close down and become quiet and withdrawn and not want to create.

It may come back tomorrow, or maybe in months or years, but I bet your drive to make music will be back at sometime. In the meantime try to enjoy other aspects of life.

Dunno about the OP. But i'm sure a lot of people give up for a bit when their band drifts apart, only intending to have a break, then after a month or two realise they dont want to do it anymore.

Its a kind of grief isnt it ? I reckon people just get disheartened when a band splits, and then by either other band members being dickheads, or by the numerous bullsh*tt*rs, dickheads, dreamers, nutcases and wannabes that populate the sort of netherworld thats Partysounds/Joinmyband and similar sites.

A year or two later, more in a lot of cases, they regret it and start playing again and look for a band - on sites like Partysounds/Joinmyband, then either the whole thing starts again, or in some cases.maybe, just maybe, they become the bullsh*tt*rs, dickheads, dreamers, nutcases and wannabes I mentioned.

I'm sure this wont happen to Marvin though, nor to any other forum membrs. Obviously it doesnt apply to everybody who uses these sites. But anyone who has spent any time trying to find a band on similar sites will tell you its true in a hell of a lot of cases. And it gets worse as you get older.

Edited by BILL POSTERS

I work with basses every day and am sometimes sick of seeing them. These days I rarely play between gigs, which are about a couple a month. When I do pick up a bass I'm sometimes just not inspired. Everything just sounds the same. In 2012 I had some personal issues, so that didn't help.

Whatever has happened recently will not have helped. I would forget about it for now. I'm pretty sure your enthusiasm will return when you least expect it.

I took a break from music, both playing, and buying new material, from about 91 - 95. I`d been in two bands that gigged heavily since 87, and was sick of it, running up & down motorways in rubbish vans, getting home at 6am (and always seeming to be dropped off last) when I had to start work at 8.30 and the rest of the band didn`t work.

So I just stopped. Kept my bass, amp, and a cheapo guitar. Then one day, decided to buy a Fender Strat, started playing guitar and lead vocs in a band (so sold the bass for another guitar). Fast forward a few years, my mates band asked me to join - on bass so had to buy a new set-up. Never practised at home, as without being boastful, could, and did play their music in my sleep. Fast forward another few years, to 2008, and joined my punk covers band, The Daves, and knew I had to up my game. Hardly a day goes past without me playing bass now. I`ve re-found my love for the instrument.

So don`t despair if you go through a patch of not playing or even wanting to. If it was ever there, it`s still lurking, and it will be back.