Why become a member? ×

New seller re-using photographs

BigRedX

Last year a I sold a bass on eBay. Today I notice that the person who bought it is now moving it on. I have no problem with that. However he is using the rather nice photographs that I took of the bass in order to help him sell it rather than take some of his own.

Is there anything I can do about this? Is it even worth getting in touch with eBay? Will they do anything about it?

Technically they should but I reckon it is unlikely. Pictures are your copyright, your intellectual property.

A couple of years back I saw a plant listed for sale and the picture was one of mine, taken of the same type of plant growing in my garden. I contacted him asking him to pay me for use of the picture or use his own pictures, he said 'prove it'. I contacted eBay, they didn't trouble me with a response.

I'm sure there are. But...

1. I went to a lot of time trouble to make the bass look attractive and take good photos of it to help the sale. The new seller has spent 5 minutes copying them out of my ad.

2. While the bass looked like it did in the photos at the time I sold it, there's no guarantee that it still looks like that now. New photos would show the current state of the instrument. I'm sure no-one on here would be prepared to bid if they were told that the photos they were looking at were several months old and who knows what had happened to the bass in the mean time?

Edited by BigRedX

....interesting argument however if you do an image search for something on Google you will often come across pictures of items you may have bought and sold on eBay or other sites. I have seen quite a few vintage synths that belong or have belonged to me, appearing in these image searches and often reappearing in listings. I'd only be worried if they were selling something I still owned and 1) weren't acknowledging it as an example of a piece of kit ie 'looks something like this' or 2) it was clearly fraudulent and they were just trying to make a quick buck from an old listing - I have reported this kind of activity in the past. If I'd sold it them I wouldn't be too worried if they'd used my pics but its good practice to acknowledge that in the listing. You often see this on here 'apologies to ...... for using their pics, hope that's ok' etc. a nod to the original 'author' of the pics is a welcome courtesy.

Edited by ash

You're right to be pissed off about it. Why shouldn't the lazy bastard take his own pictures?

And if it comes to that, what are you lot doing wasting your lives on a bloody [i]bass guitar[/i] forum for Christ's sake..?
You should be over in Mali, fighting Islamist Tuareg rebels!! Shame! :D

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358448798' post='1939471']
You're right to be pissed off about it. Why shouldn't the lazy bastard take his own pictures?

And if it comes to that, what are you lot doing wasting your lives on a bloody [i]bass guitar[/i] forum for Christ's sake..?
You should be over in Mali, fighting Islamist Tuareg rebels!! Shame! :D
[/quote]
Indeed.

It's fraud.
Almost.
It isn't an accurate and up to date portrayal of the item.
I've just been trying to find a small lighting truss and came across an eBay ad stating
"Picture featured is NOT the item for sale, the stands are different and the truss is smaller."
Naturally, I didn't bid.

Put it this way, would anyone buy a car who's only picture was taken last year?
Of course, we don't know if the pics are new or not, unless we took them....

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1358441337' post='1939262']
I'm sure there are. But...

1. I went to a lot of time trouble to make the bass look attractive and take good photos of it to help the sale. The new seller has spent 5 minutes copying them out of my ad.

2. While the bass looked like it did in the photos at the time I sold it, there's no guarantee that it still looks like that now. New photos would show the current state of the instrument. I'm sure no-one on here would be prepared to bid if they were told that the photos they were looking at were several months old and who knows what had happened to the bass in the mean time?
[/quote]

Very much with you on this one BRX - yes, "worse things happen at sea" is the old adage, but yes, having your copyright infringed is something I would want to put right, especially as it does seem EBay's t&c's are on your side.

Sorry? Another lazy oaf takes the easy way with no pride in how they stagger through life and people are like "get over it", and "there are more important things to worry about than this" - sorry, but is the continued erosion of morals, manners, respect and consideration towards one's fellow human beings not a highly important issue? Things like this keep getting let go, but it's just contributing to a decline into savagery. Not worth fightning for? I'd say a just, civilised and morally upright society IS worth fighting for, and ripping off someone's intellectual property without so much as a "mind if I use your pics, chief?" is just another microscopic step in the wrong direction. It's not just a first world problem, it's a whole world problem.

Completely 100% behind the OP. I don't mind people using my stuff, but I do mind if they just take it.