Why become a member? ×

Classic combinations: Bass and amp

JamesBass

I think the huge range of answers makes a point in itself. With guitars, there are some classic sounds - PRS & Boogie, LP & Marshall, Strat & AC30... Lots of players use these (often with their own take on it) but they're really recognisable tones.

With bass, I don't think the same is true. The answers just turn into 'the rig that my favourite bassist uses'.

Having played Orange for the last couple of years they are a classic brand but not really known as classic in combination. I used to like Fender & Ampeg but wanted to be a little different. I agree about Vox & Hofner. The Mesa / PRS thing is popular but not on the scene I play on. Surely classic is whatever works for you though?

Would anyone agree on Warwick and Trace Elliot? Two things make me think of this, one is Stuart Zender and the other is that when I was looking at basses in the early 90s it was all about Warwick and Trace for me. Can't pin down why as my memory fails me a year or two into my Uni days :)

[quote name='alstocko' timestamp='1358443516' post='1939326']
Fodera and Class D (tc electronic, epifani etc.)

Pretty much all the bass virtuoso's in fusion are using this setup.
[/quote]

I don't know if it counts when those kinds of people will be paid (or at least get for free) the class-D's!

Yep, Jaydee/TE is a classic combination, all Brit too.

For an up-and-coming classic combination there seems to be quite a few who pair a GB Streamliner with Barefaced cab and some of those use a MM bass.

Another vote for Fender Jazz/Acoustic and also Fender P/Ampeg SVT.

For a Marshall (if anyone uses them for bass) wouldn't a classic combination be with a Gibson EB0 (ala Andy Fraser, Jack Bruce)

In punk a Fender P/Hiwatt might be considered classic