Why become a member? ×

this puts me off of fenders just a tad..

clashcityrocker

[sup]I was recently looking at Jazz basses in a guitar shop. On both the USA deluxe and USA standard that I played, the pickguard and the metal part that covers the control cavity were lined up badly with a distinct gap between them. Whereby on the Chinese-made "Modern player" Jazz that I played, everything was perfectly assembled. It just goes to show, you can't take it for granted that just because a Fender is American-made, the quality control with be water tight.[/sup]

[sup]Pretty disappointing really. Personally, I would expect better on an expensive instrument.[/sup]

I own two USA Fender's, a Marcus Miller and a USA jazz bass.

Both are great basses, and like I've said before, people know (MD's, producers, artists etc) what they're getting. They've both been set up to play how I want them to, and they respond and sound how I want them to.

There's also the fact that you drop some cash on a used USA Fender bass, you'll almost certainly get it back should you sell it, you can't say the same with a custom bass by someone no one's ever heard of.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1357987853' post='1931332']
Thats a pretty standard issue.
[/quote]

Yes, and I had the same with my 1977 Precision from new. It is very easy to sort. Slacken the strings, loosen neck screws, tap neck on non machine head side to close the gap, retighten neck screws, tune up. Many bolt on neck basses can be made to look as bad as this pic. Fender do themselves no favours with that photo, and not ensuring some shops sort this out if it has happened in transit.

Edited by 3below

Fender. Get over it. Buy a decent bass and stop kidding yourselves; they are over-priced and under-built, in short an absolute rip off but they have legions of brain-washed clones queuing up to defend them because one in a hundred of their instruments is as good as an Ibanez. Fenderphiles make Ernie Ball Forum frothing fanboys look like non-agressive shrinking Violets. I've had two good Fender instruments out of dozens and dozens tried and owned. One was an MIJ P that I sold back to the original owner and that was seriously modified (would still have it if the sentimentality thing hadn't got the better of me although disappointed when said P was subsequently moved on without me having first refusal but I have got the pickup out of it again through a convoluted route and the magic of Basschat) and the other is a heavily modified '87 Strat that I bought new and still have and it always gets very positive comments from people who try it, I was very lucky with that one.

Edited by Sean

The last Fender P bass that I owned (50's classic mex job) did what it said on the tin...but the neck pocket was too loose for the neck. Its a common issue.

They are what they are...simple design, gigging tool. QC is very poor. I also inherited a mex standard jazz a few years ago and the fret job was a joke - but thats another story. I shall now roll out my favourite catch phrase "if you want a great Fender buy a Lakland" B)

My Fenders (1990s guitars) x3 are all well built, two are flawless, one has paint sinkage at 22 years. QC might be variable, I chose what I spent my money on. Build quality on most instruments has moved on leaps and bounds, these days I just evaluate a bass or guitar for what it is, not the decal / inlay on headstock. Case in hand, I have a Peavey milestone iii bass. Alder body, maple neck and better bridge than std precision. Apart from indifferent pickups it is a great bass. Is a USA 'name' bass 6x better at 6x price?, will I play 6x better? For the record I am not 'Fenderphile', current bass of choice is a Chinese job (£150), better built than my two USA 'vintage' basses, plays far better as well.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1358035348' post='1932312']
My Fenders (1990s guitars) x3 are all well built, two are flawless, one has paint sinkage at 22 years. QC might be variable, I chose what I spent my money on. Build quality on most instruments has moved on leaps and bounds, these days I just evaluate a bass or guitar for what it is, not the decal / inlay on headstock. Case in hand, I have a Peavey milestone iii bass. Alder body, maple neck and better bridge than std precision. Apart from indifferent pickups it is a great bass. Is a USA 'name' bass 6x better at 6x price?, will I play 6x better? For the record I am not 'Fenderphile', current bass of choice is a Chinese job (£150), better built than my two USA 'vintage' basses, plays far better as well.
[/quote]
There is just something about fenders though,you must admit. Which ever bass I play and own I think I will always want at least one fender, there is something iconic about them personally.

Considering the amount of people that own and play Fenders I wouldn't let one picture put me off. Big neck pocket or not if its a bass that sounds and plays well there is definitely not a problem, and this is coming from someone who regrets thinking the opposite a few years ago.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1358072285' post='1932511']
....I wouldn't let one picture put me off. Big neck pocket or not if its a bass that sounds and plays well there is definitely not a problem, and this is coming from someone who regrets thinking the opposite a few years ago....
[/quote]

+1

I'd check for dead spots, sustain, tone and the action before I'd worry about neck pockets.

[quote name='clashcityrocker' timestamp='1358038791' post='1932354']
There is just something about fenders though,you must admit. Which ever bass I play and own I think I will always want at least one fender, there is something iconic about them personally.
[/quote]

Very true. I wont be at peace until I have a Jazz bass.

I've always been a Fender guy, particularly the incredibly versatile Jazz, (had a couple of very nice Precisions too in the 70's) but there's no way I'd personally risk a large wad of fifties on a new Fender. The QC issues over the years have put me right off. Last year I bought a Squier VM Jazz for less than £250 and have had no issues with it whatsoever. Apart from the usual initial fine tuning of the truss and saddles I've got the sound I want for about 60 different covers, getting quite a few comments at the end about the great sound and even 'awesome bass player' a few times which makes me feel good. For that price I'm over the moon and not exactly going to throw a fit if it gets a couple of dings. So, £1000 plus for a huge risk or less than a week's wages for a gigging tool of the trade which does exactly the same thing?

Totally agree. After spending a few grand (at least) over the past 8 years with my current band I'm more than happy to use my Squier, to the point that I only have two Squiers now, a P and a Jazz. I can feel the extra quality in the MIA's but that doesn't seem to affect playing at all. I don't even have my Jazz insured.
I do have a Lakland neck on my P, and due to the heel being slightly narrower than the Squier there is a gap, but I've plugged it with Balsa wood and its not noticeable to anyone other than me. This gap doesn't effect tone or playability at all, but I can understand that if you are paying a lot of money you want something that's made to that standard.

I take your point John, I'd rather not buy a bass with any imperfections either, that's why I sent 3 MIA's back a couple of years ago.
Saying that these are production basses, I think it's fair to expect flaws, although thats no excuse for Fender putting out bases that have them at this price point. It's down to the individual to decide if they can live with it or not.
I'd rather live with a small gap down the side of the neck than say a scratch or blemish in the paintwork. That would really bug me. Probably why I think all that road worn stuff is nonsense :-)

I do wonder why these problems occur in the first place although there is no excusing a lack of quality control.
Fender basses are mass produced as opposed to hand made but surely the whole point of mass production is that you can consistently produce parts to the finest degree of accuracy using computer controlled equipment. You wouldn't buy a new car and find one of the doors was too small for the opening.
So is there a human element still involved in cutting a neck pocket and neck heel in a big organisation like Fender which accounts for these inconsistencies?

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1357995352' post='1931519']
Definately. Why the letters u,s and a, affect price so drastically is beyond me.
[/quote]

The same reason why BP is being vilified for spilling oil near the USA, whereas no-one cared when exxon spilt oil in Nigeria.

[quote name='Martin E' timestamp='1358080780' post='1932663']
I do wonder why these problems occur in the first place although there is no excusing a lack of quality control.
Fender basses are mass produced as opposed to hand made but surely the whole point of mass production is that you can consistently produce parts to the finest degree of accuracy using computer controlled equipment. You wouldn't buy a new car and find one of the doors was too small for the opening.
So is there a human element still involved in cutting a neck pocket and neck heel in a big organisation like Fender which accounts for these inconsistencies?
[/quote]

Could be that the neck pockets are in spec according to Fender. I don't think I have seen official Fender neck pocket gap specs anywhere. Maybe they set a tolerance to cut the pocket slightly larger to allow the neck heal to expand without causing problems. I'd imagine that happening is a much bigger deal than a slight gap, which doesn't really make a difference to playability or tone.
Just my thoughts though.

[quote name='clashcityrocker' timestamp='1357987454' post='1931325']
So after reading lots on here about fender qc, and personally only seeming to have had 'good' ones, this worries me a little
[url="http://www.fender.com/series/deluxe/deluxe-active-p-bass-special-maple-fingerboard-blizzard-pearl-1-ply-beveled-gold-vinyl-pickguard/"]http://www.fender.co...inyl-pickguard/[/url]

Is it just me or can everyone else see the massive gap in the top of the neck pocket? If the one bass you use for your own shots has that Qc I'm quite worried about buying one to be honest. Problem is these deluxe actives never come up second hand and no where near me stocks them, kind of don't wanna buy blind now
[/quote]
If you run through the selection you'll see that the photos are all of the same basic piece but the body colour and neck colour are "photoshopped" in. In some of the pictures the colour isn't completely filled in some areas - lined areas being particularly amateurish.

Not saying there's never a gap between the heel and the pocket of some Fenders, but in this case I think it's the badly applied photoshopping that's tricking your perception. And mine.

There's no gap on the pockets of either of my Fenders.

Both necks are perfect and don't move, I believe they have graphite rods in them for stability.

The Marcus Miller bass is a dream to play, and has 6 bolts attaching it to the body via a plate making for a really sturdy fit.

The frets are all perfectly seated, and the bridge is perfectly positioned, and allows for either through the body stringing or through the bridge on both basses.

I like the hipshot machines on the Marcus Miller bass too.

You can't actually see the neck pocket on the bass in the photo, it's not that close so making comments on it seem a bit odd.

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1358084417' post='1932731']
As far as I understand, Musicman make mass production basses but I've never seen a Stingray with neck pocket issues!
[/quote]
i think musicman is in a different league. only recently have they cottoned on to the 'cheaper' bass market with the sterling series and now the sub series. also there are no 'licensed, parts available for MM (as far as i know). but at the end of the day fender must make soooo much more money than MM and sadly thats what its about