Why become a member? ×

this puts me off of fenders just a tad..

clashcityrocker

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1358768707' post='1944555']
The problem is that not everybody surfs the web and the forums and most of them isn't aware of the QC issues. In fact i would say most people buying is first "proper" bass after saving a lot of hard earned money will enter a music store and buy whatever is on the wall regardless of its condition/issues/setup/etc. just because they still don't know how to check this. So i'm affraid to tell you that a big lot of bass players do buy a planck of wood going only by what it's written on the headstock.

[/quote]

I suppose that's true. But surely if somebody went to a shop, tried a Fender and [i]liked it[/i], it would mean that either that particular bass had no QC issues [i]or [/i]any it did have didn't affect the bass in any noticeable way (that's not me saying they should be there, just sometimes these things get blown out of proportion).

Either way, I'd hope that someone would be able to spot a dog when they picked it up. If they can't... well maybe they shouldn't be spending so much on a bass just yet (not that it's my place to question what people buy, that's what got us all into this anyway right ;))

Call me "hater" if you want but i will keep advising anyone looking for a Fender to be very carefull with any defects and to inspect it well before spending the money.
[/quote]

Which I'd also advise - with any manufacturer.

There's another important thing to take in to consideration, these days people buy a lot of gear through the internet, with that kind of QC Fender isn't the best option to go when ordering internationally (Thomann, Musicstore, etc.).

[/quote]

That's spot on, but having said that the only bass I've ever bought online that had serious issues was a Sandberg. Every factory knocks out a turd once in a while.

Edited by Mylkinut

I tried a couple of Ibanez SR's in a shop several months ago and, despite loving the SR I have, wasn't overly impressed with some of the QC on the ones I tried on that day.

The set ups were both very iffy, my 300 was good out of the box. The routing for the control cavity cover was generous to say the least. The finish on the frets on one was awful. And there was a buzzing on one that when you plucked a string the buzz came from behind where you had fretted. (couldn't work out what that was). Generally the feel of both was was neither at all good.

They're mass produced, it happens.

Edited by Marvin

I've owned 4 Fenders in total. I still own three of them. There's nothing wrong with any of them at all.

No gaps, no alignment problems, fit and finish all present and correct. Once set up to my taste, they've all been excellent. I bought all 4 blind. Two off here, two off eBay. No problems at all...

Hardly the sample of all samples, but I find the idea that one has to be extra vigilant for Fender QC issues a little bit odd really.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1358779157' post='1944813']
I'm sure that there are Fenders out there that have issues---they are mass produced instruments, after all---but I honestly think that some people are imagining QC faults that, well, aren't, and are just parroting things they've read on the internet. I'm not sure that a neck pocket gap is necessarily a bad thing. It [b]may[/b] be, but you should judge a bass by picking it up and playing it, not looking at it and thinking "oh, neck pocket gap, must be crap".
[/quote]
Well if I see a neck pocket gap I think "well that is not going to do much for the sustain" and "if it is that badly built, what else is likely to be wrong with it"?

I used to own a P bass with a serious neck pocket gap issue and I have seen plenty of other ones! The Fender I currently own has a perfect neck pocket, but the factory installed bridge was not put on straight (since replaced).

I think that some people are in denial here - I have never seen a Musicman with similar issues (nor a Lakland or a Warwick, etc).....

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1358710423' post='1943861']
I love Fender and they have pretty much been my brand of choice for 25yrs now. I've tried to move away and try / buy other basses but a Fender just feels right to me so I keep coming back to them. I do have issues with the company and definitely don't see them through rose tinted specs BUT they obviously do so much right when it comes to bass guitars as they have been so popular for 60 years. There are always going to be Fender haters on these forums but then to me rock 'n' roll music should always be about dividing opinion so they have that right too ;)
[/quote]

yes this is my view too

its just a fact that whatever other basses there, however much you spend on exotics, there's a 90% chance that the next band you see on tv will have a bass player using a fender

it does'nt worry me that they are so popular - i don't see basses as a fashion item - i don't seek basses that are more exclusive

i do agree with the OP that that photos, which is a fender endorsed publicity photo, does show a horrible neck gap - must have got missed when they were checking them :)

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1358781954' post='1944859']
I would never buy a bass with bad assembly/fit/finish, if i'm paying a considerable amount of money i expect the bass to be well buildt. [b]A neck pocket gap is a big flaw[/b] and there's no mass production story that justifies such thing.
[/quote]

Is it, though? Really? I'm not convinced it is. I've played enough basses now to know that some set-neck basses have rubbish sustain and some bolt-ons with neck pocket gaps have sustain in abundance.

Sure, if you pick up a bass and play it, and the sustain is rubbish, then by all means discount that instrument. But just looking at the neck pocket and deciding---without playing it---that it isn't going to sound good is (IMO) almost as silly as judging the pickups before you've plugged the thing in.

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1358759934' post='1944412']
I know that it is all down to personal opinion but I just wonder if enough people say enough times that Fenders have quality control issues then it will become a generally accepted fact. For myself, I think that the current range of Fender guitars and basses display excellent quality control. Mind you, I didn't have much problem with the previous offerings either (apart from late 70s) but the current product is first class considering how many are made each day. This, I emphasise, is only my humble opinion.
[/quote]

Agree totally, it is all personal taste.

My 1977 Fender Precision (bought new, in the days of student grant lol) was excellent, once I had fitted the neck correctly and closed the pocket gap. It had the best low action I have ever had on a bass to this day. It had the 3 bolt plate (like my G&L has) but I never had any problems with it. Do not think 1970s Fenders are 'bad', use your own judgement on what you have in your hands.

What you spend your own money is your own choice, at the moment I play my £150 Chinese made bass as first choice (the vintage USA basses are kept in reserve, too 'valuable' to use?). Had my Chinese bass been available 40 years ago, with the quality to price, I doubt I would have spent vast amounts on other basses (Ric, Gibbo, John Birch, Fender). I see there is a Warwick Rockbass on the forum for £100 - the quality to price ratio on that will be beyond belief. The neck pocket will be tighter than a tight thing, the paintwork flawless. It is all down to personal choice.

I am starting to wonder if we are on another bass forum, tolerance and a broad church is a good thing.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1358801652' post='1945407']
Is it, though? Really? I'm not convinced it is. I've played enough basses now to know that some set-neck basses have rubbish sustain and some bolt-ons with neck pocket gaps have sustain in abundance.

Sure, if you pick up a bass and play it, and the sustain is rubbish, then by all means discount that instrument. But just looking at the neck pocket and deciding---without playing it---that it isn't going to sound good is (IMO) almost as silly as judging the pickups before you've plugged the thing in.
[/quote]

So... you're saying to ignore poor manufacture quality in favor of the sound? Ok... i can see a very, very small valid point in this one if you were buying second hand gear but what you're saying seems to me the same thing that entering a BMW stand and buying a new car with chipped paintwork and not bothering about it just because it works properly when you turn the key!

All i tried to say in my posts was if i'm paying £1000 plus for a bass i demand that it comes with quality build and finish...

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1358848285' post='1945847']
So... you're saying to ignore poor manufacture quality in favor of the sound? Ok... i can see a very, very small valid point in this one if you were buying second hand gear but what you're saying seems to me the same thing that entering a BMW stand and buying a new car with chipped paintwork and not bothering about it just because it works properly when you turn the key!

All i tried to say in my posts was if i'm paying £1000 plus for a bass i demand that it comes with quality build and finish...
[/quote]

And all I'm saying is that a neck pocket gap is only "poor quality" [b]if[/b] the bass has bad sustain. If the bass sustains well then the fit of the neck pocket is not an issue.

Chipped paintwork is an entirely different problem and is not what we're discussing.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1358849478' post='1945869']
And all I'm saying is that a neck pocket gap is only "poor quality" [b]if[/b] the bass has bad sustain. If the bass sustains well then the fit of the neck pocket is not an issue.

Chipped paintwork is an entirely different problem and is not what we're discussing.
[/quote]
If I was looking to buy a bass, chipped paintwork would not bother me at all! Obviously, if it was new I might ask for a small discount off the asking price.

However, I would walk away if it had a badly fitted neck pocket. That might hint at some potentially serious issues and these days there are so many other top quality basses available (unlike in the 70s).....

Edited by peteb

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1358849478' post='1945869']
[/quote]

A better analogy may be shutlines on a car. For example if one side of the bonnet had a noticeably larger gap between edge of bonnet and wing would you still buy the car. After all, it would make no difference to how the car drives or operates.

I don't actually think a next pocket gap makes a greal deal of diffference either but there shouldn't be one and it can't be justified.