Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Time to stop gigging

Blademan_98

Well, after continuing to ignore medical opinion for the last eight months, I have finally had to come to the realisation that I have to give up gigging.

My hand has got to such a state that after rehearsal (around three hours) my right hand no longer works. It swells up and movement is lost. The next day the hand will not work properly for most of the day.

I can still play for around half an hour before it gets 'uncomfortable' and anything after that, I know I will suffer.

So, I'm not giving up on music or playing, just gigging and rehearsing!

I really enjoy writing music and it would be too much to give up completely. I have a keyboard I like to tinkle on and as long as I keep to the half hour sessions, I can keep up bass, guitar and keys hopefully for many years.

I have put an advert on the bass player wanted section if anyone is interested in the position :)

(Oh, and I will remain active on BassChat of course!)

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1357582751' post='1924866']
Sometimes you have to go backwards to move forwards. Hope it works out.
[/quote]
Cheers Bilbo. Music is such a part of my life it's hard to give up.
[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1357583500' post='1924891']
All the best Blademan thats a bit of a naff situation but it sounds like you have done the right thing in planning your best way around it and still making music :)
[/quote]
I have been in denial for a while but finally woke up!
[quote name='niceguyhomer' timestamp='1357583504' post='1924892']
I feel for you. My turn soon.
[/quote]
Thanks, I hope it's not too soon.

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1357583673' post='1924896']
Sorry to hear that man :(
[/quote]
Cheers.
[quote name='Adrenochrome' timestamp='1357583698' post='1924899']
Sorry to hear that. Any chance of playing some keyboard bass with the left hand?
[/quote]
That's a good idea, thanks.

Sorry to read this, my man Blade. I hope you'll at least be able to enjoy yourself after this.

Me, I gave up playing professionally, and got a better life. So there is a way.

Other than that, you should ask Shep. He knows how to not play one single note! :lol:

Good luck, and all the best,
bert

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1357587621' post='1924990']
Oh mate, that's bad. Nightmarish. I hope you get it sorted very soon. Best wishes mate x
[/quote]

Cheers Nige,
Just when I had got started gigging again on a regular basis too.
But that is what brought the condition to the for.

Thanks to all those well wishers. As I told the band, I may be down but I'm not out yet :)

Sorry to hear this. Many years ago I started to suffer tendonitis (left hand). Similar sort of effect, play for a while, wrist swollen, very painful. I gave up bass for several years. About 3 years ago started playing again, so far so good it has just gone away. Even a 3 hr gig did not bring it on. You may get lucky after a break from playing.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1357588883' post='1925032']
Sorry to hear that, Brian. All the best and hope little and often works better.
[/quote]

Cheers Pete
I never did buy you that pint or three!
I'd really like to hear you play and perhaps this year I'll make the trip to Ipswich if you are playing at the festival again?
Brian

That's a tough call to make. But the fact you're doing so and facing the situation head on, rather than denying it and doing yourself more damage, is very commendable and definitely the right thing to do.

You lose out on gigging and rehearsing. That sucks. But I'm certain you're going to gain a new lease musical life as a result of this situation. You can still lay down a mean baseline in half an hour. And you now have a good reason to focus more on composition and exploring other instruments.

Wishing you well with whatever comes, mate.

Paul

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1357591401' post='1925090']
That's a tough call to make. But the fact you're doing so and facing the situation head on, rather than denying it and doing yourself more damage, is very commendable and definitely the right thing to do.

You lose out on gigging and rehearsing. That sucks. But I'm certain you're going to gain a new lease musical life as a result of this situation. You can still lay down a mean baseline in half an hour. And you now have a good reason to focus more on composition and exploring other instruments.

Wishing you well with whatever comes, mate.

Paul
[/quote]
Cheers Paul
I enjoy the composition stuff.
To be honest the December composition did not get finished as I was suffering badly as I was pushing my hand too much.
Live and learn!

How about a Moog Taurus & a Little Phatty & you'll be making thundering basslines in your band again?

Or... You could play like Mr Navarro does (left hand hammer ons & a hothand on the right).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEdGA-FmENY