Why become a member? ×

Velcro - What you use, why and where you get it

alstocko

As a pedalboard virgin (soon to pop my cherry thanks to Nature_1) I was wondering what people use for Velcro (eg. Special made, B&Q own brand etc.) why they use this and why? I have my university performance next Thursday and would like to get my pedals all firmly in place on my new(ish) Pedaltrain Mini

I know it's a boring topic, but it's better than some things we talk about!

Thanks,

Alec

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1357283851' post='1920253']
I use Velcro Heavy Duty. Got it from Hobbycraft. Good sticky glue & the pedals won't move unless you want them to.
[/quote]

Yes, definitely spend the extra on the heavy duty, it really is worth it. Although Hobbycraft is usually a bit pricy. B & Q stock it too.

Yeah I just get the rolls of heavy duty from John Lewis or B&Q. I prefer heavy duty as my pedal board gets picked up on its side, if you're picking up flat all the time (small board), standard should suffice.

Cheers
Si

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1357296285' post='1920443']
With velcro I find that the glue on the back is usually the weakest link. I've superglued the stuff to a pedal more than once!

[/quote]

I use double-sided tape between the pedal and the velcro.

What irritates me about the heavy duty stuff is that you have to buy loops and hooks together, and end up with a load of loops that you have to throw away. Plus, it's not cheap.

Edited by pete.young

I've recently changed from cable ties to heavy duty velcro.

Cable ties are great, but it it can be a pain if you fiddle with your pedal board layout a lot (and I do...) You have to drill holes etc etc. On the plus side, they are dirt cheap, especially if you've got a budget hardware shop on a high street near you. And the pedals never move once they're lashed down.

Like most of the pedal-totin' Bassies out there, i've gone for heavy duty velcro. I used the normal stuff once - turned my pedal board on it's side for storage, went to use it at a gig and hey presto...untidy mess of cables, pedals and semi-sticky goo. The heavy duty is a bit more expensive, but nothing's shifted as yet.

Rushbo top tip...to make sure your FX dont move in storage or transit, put some foam or similar in the top of the case so it just rests on the pedals when closed. It helps to keep everything in place. I've found that the stuff you use as 'underlay' for laminate flooring works great, as you can add extra layers if you need to. And everyone's got a bit of spare laminate flooring underlay in the loft, right?

[quote name='alstocko' timestamp='1357263074' post='1920191']
As a pedalboard virgin (soon to pop my cherry thanks to Nature_1) I was wondering what people use for Velcro (eg. Special made, B&Q own brand etc.) why they use this and why? I have my university performance next Thursday and would like to get my pedals all firmly in place on my new(ish) Pedaltrain Mini [/quote]

Hi! :hi:
I took the plunge last year and got a PT-2 and some heavy duty Pedalboard Tape from 'Stompbox'.. and at just over £10 a metre it's not cheap (!); and when it comes to effectiveness, it doesn't tend to work well with pedals which have rubber-type bases i.e Boss and Digitech.. works better with MXR and TC pedals..

Hmm.

Just an update, I bought the Heavy Duty velcro from B&Q (not cheap!) but it's amazingly powerful!

My only criticism would be that the velcro is so strong that I had to superglue the strip to my plastic-bottomed tuner because the adhesive isn't strong enough!

Anyway, on metal bottomed pedals, its amazing.

BIG recommendation here!

My dad gave me some super heavy duty stuff they apparently use to hold train side panels on, but I never got round to using it, as I wasn't gigging at the time and was constantly changing the board. My board is just a flight case, I've had a few jams recently and I've just taken to putting a pillow on top of the pedals, holds them in place perfectly. I'll probably dig out that train stuff if I start gigging again though.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1357386144' post='1921874']
What irritates me about the heavy duty stuff is that you have to buy loops and hooks together, and end up with a load of loops that you have to throw away. Plus, it's not cheap.
[/quote]

Here's what I use my leftovers for:

Stick some loop and hook pieces together back to back. Cut into strips about an inch wide and 4 or 5 inches long. You now have yourself a decent supply of reusable cable ties. Boom!

Another "anti-velcro" one here. I prefer to bolt everything down, just got fed up of having to re-stick the velcro all the time. Again, it's the glue on the back of the velcro that is the weak link! Cable ties are also useful, as are the bike chain links, though with all three methods I have mentioned you have to do a lot more in the setup. For all my loathing of it, velcro is the quickest option by far, just make sure it's stuck down good and proper!

• Like 1