Why become a member? ×

112 advice?

Highfox

Hi Guys.
I'm after a bit of advice, I'm looking at upgrading/changing my B rig around a bit. I have been using the TC Electronic 2x10 BG500 combo for a good while now and even tho it's able to kick out the watts it's leaving me a little less than happy with it's overall tone.

I now have an Ibanez Promethan 5110 combo that I was able to pick up sh locally for a good price. (I sent the 3110 version back as I now have the plan to use this combo for more than home pratice).

So long winded question is I'm aiming to pair it with a 112, and as I have some credit at Thomann
I think I'll be buying from there (postage is a killer to Finland for any used cabs from Basschat unfortunately) So within budget is The EBS classic 112 or the GK 112 neo II ? Weight is not a huge factor as the cab would be left at rehearsals and the combo dragged home.

Or as I like the sound of 12's would I be better off getting something like the 8ohm GK 212 and just drag the head around?

Any thoughts. Anyone tried these, or any other option's within budget?

Cheers.

Edited by Highfox

[quote name='0175westwood29' timestamp='1355217741' post='1895383']
only have good things to say about my hartke hydrive 112, its switchable between 4 and 8 ohms so can be used on its own or you can combine with another for a really nice rig.

andy
[/quote]

I`ve heard one of these being used and they have a very nice sound in the mix.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1355230463' post='1895603']
I'm going to watch this with interest :) I really would like to replace my 212 with a 112.
[/quote]

Just the one..??? I'd be adding another as soon as.

The benefit being you get the same sound but easier to carry.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1355236984' post='1895749']

Just the one..??? I'd be adding another as soon as.

The benefit being you get the same sound but easier to carry.
[/quote]

Ideally I'd find a single sub-30lb 112 that I could gig without PA support. Don't even know if that's possible but that's the aim.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1355253606' post='1896033']

Ideally I'd find a single sub-30lb 112 that I could gig without PA support. Don't even know if that's possible but that's the aim.
[/quote]

Hate to say it, but unless you pickup a Baer ML112 or a Thunderchild 112 you are going to struggle...a lot. Even with those it still won't throw that much volume.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1355255971' post='1896084']
Even a Barefaced Midget? :(
[/quote]

Well, I have no experience of that cabinet, and it might hold up enough mid range to give you enough volume. Personally, it wouldn't be my choice. I'd go for an Aguilar DB112 x 2. Its a tried an tested amazing tone. Not light...45lbs each, but worth it.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1355262573' post='1896195']
Well, I have no experience of that cabinet, and it might hold up enough mid range to give you enough volume. Personally, it wouldn't be my choice. I'd go for an Aguilar DB112 x 2. Its a tried an tested amazing tone. Not light...45lbs each, but worth it.
[/quote]

Or Aggie GS112 x 2 if you want a fatter less mid-gutsy tone, a stonkingly good combination...

So that's recommendations for 2 cabs weighing about 90lb total, for someone asking if they could get a 1 cab solution weighing under 30lb?!
A typical neo 212 weighs under 60lb and is plenty by lots of people's standards...([i]edit:[/i] not disputing the tonal qualities of the aggies which a lot of people really like)
Personally I could get by gigging with a mid-level 112 for a lot of indoor scenarios, but if you wanted the 'biggest' 112 sound you could get in a reasonable lightweight form and had the watts to drive them, then the BF Big Baby, Vanderkley 112MNT or even Kappalite-loaded BFM Jack 112 have the best output potential IMO. The choice depends a lot on preferred voicing for me - where you want the volume has a big impact.

Edited by LawrenceH

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1355265234' post='1896233']
So that's recommendations for 2 cabs weighing about 90lb total, for someone asking if they could get a 1 cab solution weighing under 30lb?!
A typical neo 212 weighs under 60lb and is plenty by lots of people's standards...([i]edit:[/i] not disputing the tonal qualities of the aggies which a lot of people really like)
Personally I could get by gigging with a mid-level 112 for a lot of indoor scenarios, but if you wanted the 'biggest' 112 sound you could get in a reasonable lightweight form and had the watts to drive them, then the BF Big Baby, Vanderkley 112MNT or even Kappalite-loaded BFM Jack 112 have the best output potential IMO. The choice depends a lot on preferred voicing for me - where you want the volume has a big impact.
[/quote]

It was just a suggestion. Personally I'd prefer the Baer ML112 over your suggestions but only from a tone point of view, although the Vanderkley might tick the boxes.

The Gallien Neo 112-II would be a good well priced solution.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1355267114' post='1896264']
It was just a suggestion. Personally I'd prefer the Baer ML112 over your suggestions but only from a tone point of view, although the Vanderkley might tick the boxes.

The Gallien Neo 112-II would be a good well priced solution.
[/quote]

That's interesting - what makes you prefer the Baer Ml112 over the Vanderkley? I really need to use lightweight gear but I haven't heard either. How does the Baer 112 sound?

Frank.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1355268120' post='1896283']

That's interesting - what makes you prefer the Baer Ml112 over the Vanderkley? I really need to use lightweight gear but I haven't heard either. How does the Baer 112 sound?

Frank.
[/quote]

Ah. Only going on tone profile reviews I'm afraid and what Baer state is their tone goal with the ML112.

Edited by Musicman20

For me at least I'm on a bit of a budget, this is for a B rig.
I'd go the Aggies if I had the money love the look and the sound I've heard from them.

I think I'll go the GK 112 neo route and maybe add another at some point. Or move it on if I'm not happy.

I've not played the GK112 neo, but have the 2x12 (and I have heard that tonally they are virtually indistinguishable). Great, great cabs. I doubt you'll be disappointed. But, as others have said, only one 12" speaker will have it's finite volume limits. You will find out it one is enough though I guess. And you have a plan B of getting another so you seem to have covered all bases.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1355268610' post='1896292']
I've been using a single Ashdown Mi12 for all of my gigs since they came out and I'm
really happy with it-it basically took over from my Bergantino HS410.
[/quote]
So a single 12 took over from your 4x10. That's quite some testament to the abilities of the Ashdown. Impressive.

I saw a band in Leicester a couple of weeks ago and the bassist was using an Ashdown MiBass with the matching 1x12 cab and it sounded huge. I'm pretty sure it wasn't DI'd but it cranked out some serious bass! Personally I'm not keen on the looks, but when they start appearing second hand I'll be seriously lookin at them. It's the first time I think I've actually liked the tone from an Ashdown rig.

Of course it could be to do with the bassists fingers....

Truckstop