Why become a member? ×

Strap locks

Kinder

Hi all

I need to get some straplocks after a near miss. They're for an 08 Fender Precision. I fancied the Fender branded ones but have read a review that the bass won't fit in the moulded SKB case with them fitted. Has anyone had this problem? Does it still fit with Schallers in place?

Ta v much.

Andy

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1354886082' post='1891608']
If you want to leave the strap permanently attached you don't need straplocks. Simply drill a small hole through each end of the strap, unscrew the strap button and reattach with the strap between the button and the body of the bass.
[/quote]

I had not heard of this before but it makes perfect sense. Nice one

Depending on how much the material of the strap compresses when screwed into place you might need a slightly longer screw, but otherwise no extra fittings are required.

Alternatively you could replace the strap button with a washer.

Edited by BigRedX

I like BRX's suggestion, but another option with strap locks is to put the strap on the bass as normal, then put the strap locks on the button after. Less secure than BRX's permanent option, but more secure than attaching the locks to the strap and using them in the normal way.

I like the Jim Dunlops. But then I only have one strap and three basses (that I use) - JDs easy to unlock and lock. Easier than Schallers I think. A lot easier than Grolsch washers and others.

And yes, I find I have to remove the strap to get any of them into an SKB or Hiscox case. So ease of removal is important really.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1354956674' post='1892288']
I like BRX's suggestion, but another option with strap locks is to put the strap on the bass as normal, then put the strap locks on the button after. Less secure than BRX's permanent option, but more secure than attaching the locks to the strap and using them in the normal way.
[/quote]
Something I have advocated for years, after a strap pin sheared in half due to metal against metal wear and tear from the normally fitted strap locks.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1355006692' post='1892993']
I've used Dunlop and Schallers but prefer the Grolsch solution above all.
[/quote]
But rubber washers are so fiddly. You have to put the strap on, then find the washer in your case, and put that on as well. Proper straplocks are so much easier. I like the Dunlop ones. Never actually tried the Schaller variety, but the Dunlop ones somehow look neater, and have never failed me.

If putting them in a case is a problem then Dunlop do ones that actually fit flush into the body of the guitar. However - needs a big holes making in the guitar (which I'd be reluctant to do), and it means that you can no longer use standard (non straplock) straps.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1355875311' post='1904037']

But rubber washers are so fiddly. You have to put the strap on, then find the washer in your case, and put that on as well. Proper straplocks are so much easier. I like the Dunlop ones. Never actually tried the Schaller variety, but the Dunlop ones somehow look neater, and have never failed me.

If putting them in a case is a problem then Dunlop do ones that actually fit flush into the body of the guitar. However - needs a big holes making in the guitar (which I'd be reluctant to do), and it means that you can no longer use standard (non straplock) straps.
[/quote]
Ah I don't really take the strap off that often so not much a problem for me, I just fold the strap over the front of the bass and drop it into the case.

I have Dunlops on my P, and i'm glad. They feel incredibly sturdy, especially compared the Fender branded ones on my Squier 5 string. I'm swapping them to Dunlops as i don't trust them at all. They allow the strap a lot of movement around the button too which is good for me as i'm pretty active and don't like my strap to only be in one place, so the angles at each button are always changing slightly .

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1354883135' post='1891555']
All strap locks should be quick release. That's the point.

I use Jim Dunlops. Some use Grolsch washers.

Beware that Schallers use slightly thinner screws which on some basses can work loose.
[/quote]

Used Schallers for a very, very long time on my Epi/Strat with no failure.
Couldn't use them on my Ibanez EgoDyne EB300 without some wood filler because the screws were too skinny to bite and hold.
Put them on my Yamaha BBN5 and they work just ducky.