Why become a member? ×

lowballing .. definition and .. is it insulting ?

hamfist

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1354825410' post='1891026']
That exact same thing happened with me last week when I had my Precision Deluxe/Status up for sale for a short time. Their bass advertised at £1399, mine at £600. I would have had to find about £830 :o
Mine was only up for sale to grab the afore mentioned Desert Gold Bongo, which I missed out on.
Karl.
[/quote]

It wasn't some sort of Fender Jazz was it? With a matching headstock?

Guy was a total chancer, cheeky and not in keeping with all of the other excellent communications/transactions I've been involved with on this forum. I suppose sooner or later (statistically) you're going to come across a muppet.

He also contacted me AFTER I had sold the bass asking if wanted to buy his outright...

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1354820806' post='1890915']
Why did this offend you?
[/quote]

I don't think I can put it another way than I did. I struggled enough already trying to express something, so I'm not willing to give it even one more go. Sorry.

FWIW, I never use my being offended about something as an argument for my being right or for me having rights.
Stephen Fry is right IMO, and I've debated along those lines as long as I can remember. In fact it's one of my pet peeves.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1354821249' post='1890932']
Because it probably devalued his own. or he likes his that much that he would pay market price gladly any day. probably a hundred different things.
[/quote]

Probably a hundred different things indeed.
Certainly nothing about devaluation of my own.
Yes, I always pay market price gladly, but that has nothing to do with why I reacted negatively to the low offers.

best,
bert

[quote name='JimBobTTD' timestamp='1354727588' post='1889680']
He was down the road!
[/quote]

Arn't most cars.... ?

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1354820239' post='1890902']
there's a variety of "lowballers" that do get annoying 'though.

a while back, around the time I sold you that black Vintage Jazz bass (now back with me, thanks! :)) I was selling quite a lot of things: guitars, basses, effects... I advertised them all on Gumtree. I received emails from the same person for just about every single item, offering 50% of my asking price trying to entice me by saying they would collect on the day.
After I replied to three of his emails I just got bored. There was one particular item he seemed to want, and he kept insisting, always offering 50% and starting to become a little offensive, not just pushy.

what was he thinking?

Clearly someone with too much time in his hands trying his luck at anything.
[/quote] Big fat fella, drives a Taxi, Lives in Livingston? I've met, and dealt with the nummpty. If he had come to collect he would have tried to barter you down again.

Though I would have welcomed some low offers - I priced my JV I was/am trying/thinking of selling at the same price as Rich's - and would have taken offers (gladly) - but not even one lowball! A bit odd cos the price I would have taken was a fair bit lower than the price advetised. Oh well

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1354832479' post='1891140']
It wasn't some sort of Fender Jazz was it? With a matching headstock?

Guy was a total chancer, cheeky and not in keeping with all of the other excellent communications/transactions I've been involved with on this forum. I suppose sooner or later (statistically) you're going to come across a muppet.

He also contacted me AFTER I had sold the bass asking if wanted to buy his outright...
[/quote]

No, not the same one. It is still up for sale, at £100 less than original asked, for three days only :P
It is a stunning bass, but I specifically stated only up for sale to raise funds for the Desert Gold Bongo.
It's no big deal, I just pm'd the chap back politely informing him I had a wish to raise loot, not spend more.
It does however show, that sort of thing happens.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1354864260' post='1891302']
Big fat fella, drives a Taxi, Lives in Livingston? I've met, and dealt with the nummpty. If he had come to collect he would have tried to barter you down again.
[/quote]

No idea, I never got the "pleasure" of meeting him. ;)

Then you also get other types that I find a bit annoying. Again, around the same time, this guy comes interested in a guitar I was selling. A Vintage brand SG type. The guy is in his late 40s and says when he arrives this guitar is for his son's birthday, and how much he is into guitars, this and that, but money has been an issue blah blah blah. He seemed nice, chatted a bit, and as expected he tried to get the price down a bit. I accepted, and it was ok... he was nice, and I liked the idea of it going to a kid learning to play etc. Then he started trying to get extras... would you have this? and that? I ended up giving him a better gigbag than the one I meant to give the guitar away in, a strap, one of my cables and a cheap stand I did not use.
All this based not so much on his pure negotiation skills, but on my liking him and helping him get the whole package (he had an amp already but nothing else, he said).

Literally about a week later I see the same guitar advertised for a chunk more than I sold it for. No birthday noy I guess :/

But then, there are other "warmer" stories too.
A while ago I had bought a bass and the guy sold it together with a practice amp. I did not need that practice amp, so I thought I'd sell it on afterwards.
So eventually I put it for sale. A woman calls, interested in the amp for her son, asked me a few questions, and we arranged for her to come round and check it out.
She arrived with two sons, the 12 year old who wanted the amp and his older brother.
He already had a bass but no amp, and he is playing it all the time but frustrating as he really wants an amp etc... they ask me to demo it, as the son says he is only a beginner and I guess he feels shy. So I plug it in and show him what it sounds like... I show him it has a headphone out too (wink to the mother ;)) etc... and they say yes, they will take it. The kid looks really happy that he's going to have an amp at least. And then the 12 year old starts counting money...
The mother says that he's wanted an amp for a while but she made him save for it, which he didn't like at first but now he's happy he can buy his own amp etc. I don't know, it brought me back to my childhood when I saved for various things, a bike, whatever, and how hard it was... so I said, "really? well, in that case maybe we can reassess the price" and I took away a large chunk off the price I was asking. The look on his face was well worth it.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1354874805' post='1891408']...so I said, "really? well, in that case maybe we can reassess the price" and I took away a large chunk off the price I was asking. The look on his face was well worth it.
[/quote]

A true gentleman. Bravo.

[URL=http://www.smileyvault.com/][IMG]http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/CBSA/smileyvault-cute-big-smiley-animated-024.gif[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1354874805' post='1891408']
The guy is in his late 40s and says when he arrives this guitar is for his son's birthday...literally about a week later I see the same guitar advertised for a chunk more than I sold it for. No birthday noy I guess :/

And then the 12 year old starts counting money...
and I took away a large chunk off the price I was asking. The look on his face was well worth it.
[/quote]

Great post! The highs and lows of selling gear! :D

That guy's attitude really annoys me though. I do have a (now 15 year old) son and I have bought a few things for him recently. He is a bit shy so he normally asks me to do the dealing for him. Not that I drive a hard bargain or anything, he just feels awkward doing it!. I don't mention that the item is for him so that I can get a better deal, just so that I am entering into the deal from a position of honesty. Particularly as it is guitar gear and I know naff all about it!! :lol: Wherever possible I take him with me so that he can try the gear himself.

However, two weeks ago I did take him to buy a Boss distortion pedal which was advertised at £50. I gave my son £40 in cash before we went in and the guy accepted this rather surreptitious form of haggling...! There was no pressure though and I had the other tenner in my pocket in case he didn't want to shift on his advertised price.

All good fun!

The mother says that he's wanted an amp for a while but she made him save for it, which he didn't like at first but now he's happy he can buy his own amp etc. I don't know, it brought me back to my childhood when I saved for various things, a bike, whatever, and how hard it was... so I said, "really? well, in that case maybe we can reassess the price" and I took away a large chunk off the price I was asking. The look on his face was well worth it.
[/quote]

Good for the mother and jolly good for you. Nice story.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1354881945' post='1891527']
A true gentleman. Bravo.

[url="http://www.smileyvault.com/"][/url]
[/quote]

Nah, not really. Just hoping he will become rich and famous and that he will remember me and give me and my band a support slot touring around the world :P

No idea, I never got the "pleasure" of meeting him. ;)

Then you also get other types that I find a bit annoying. Again, around the same time, this guy comes interested in a guitar I was selling. A Vintage brand SG type. The guy is in his late 40s and says when he arrives this guitar is for his son's birthday, and how much he is into guitars, this and that, but money has been an issue blah blah blah. He seemed nice, chatted a bit, and as expected he tried to get the price down a bit. I accepted, and it was ok... he was nice, and I liked the idea of it going to a kid learning to play etc. Then he started trying to get extras... would you have this? and that? I ended up giving him a better gigbag than the one I meant to give the guitar away in, a strap, one of my cables and a cheap stand I did not use.
All this based not so much on his pure negotiation skills, but on my liking him and helping him get the whole package (he had an amp already but nothing else, he said).

Literally about a week later I see the same guitar advertised for a chunk more than I sold it for. No birthday noy I guess :/

But then, there are other "warmer" stories too.
A while ago I had bought a bass and the guy sold it together with a practice amp. I did not need that practice amp, so I thought I'd sell it on afterwards.
So eventually I put it for sale. A woman calls, interested in the amp for her son, asked me a few questions, and we arranged for her to come round and check it out.
She arrived with two sons, the 12 year old who wanted the amp and his older brother.
He already had a bass but no amp, and he is playing it all the time but frustrating as he really wants an amp etc... they ask me to demo it, as the son says he is only a beginner and I guess he feels shy. So I plug it in and show him what it sounds like... I show him it has a headphone out too (wink to the mother ;)) etc... and they say yes, they will take it. The kid looks really happy that he's going to have an amp at least. And then the 12 year old starts counting money...
[/quote]

Awk, that's lovely mate. There aren't many about who would do that! And well done the mother too for teaching her son the value of saving for what you want at a young age :D

Once upon a very long time ago, when I was just getting out of gigging and selling my stuff, I advertised a Ashdown mini stack (ABM500, and 2 x Mini 4x8) on here. A regular (as was I and still am now)came to see it with a view to swopping me a "brand new" Ibanez SGR500 plus a little loot.

At least thats what he told me, even specifying the shop he'd bought it from. It was just a pity I had been looking at the same bass the previous week on ebay for a very cheap price from Wales.....and I knew his ebay handle.

I was suprised to say the least that he'd try and pull this, but just said "No Thanks".

Life's too short, but I have wanted to get it off my chest for years.

Luckily, all the other guys I've sold or bought from on here have been great !

Edited by 2pods

[quote name='2pods' timestamp='1354897956' post='1891818']
Once upon a very long time ago, when I was just getting out of gigging and selling my stuff, I advertised a Ashdown mini stack (ABM500, and 2 x Mini 4x8) on here. A regular (as was I and still am now)came to see it with a view to swopping me a "brand new" Ibanez SGR500 plus a little loot.

At least thats what he told me, even specifying the shop he'd bought it from. It was just a pity I had been looking at the same bass the previous week on ebay for a very cheap price from Wales.....and I knew his ebay handle.

I was suprised to say the least that he'd try and pull this, but just said "No Thanks".

Life's too short, but I have wanted to get it off my chest for years.

Luckily, all the other guys I've sold or bought from on here have been great !
[/quote] there's the odd one on here, you see a distinctive bass go cheap on eBay/gumtree, and then next week some fella on here has to offload his fave bass ever (for the 3rd time this year)

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1354708469' post='1889338']
For me, a lowball offer is less than 25% of the asking price. A lowball tells me that the person doesnt really want the item and is being cheeky on the offchance.

Having said that though, I've offered 25% below the asking price (which was obviously refused) but then negotiated a sensible medium.

It's part of the haggling banter I think. If people get offended at a lowball then they're taking it far too seriously and to be honest show a reluctance to negotiate and miss out on a sale. If you advertise on a forum, you should expect to haggle and advertise a price with that in mind.

Truckstop
[/quote]

Very true this. I quite recently made what I considered a fair offer for an item on here, and was turned down with some comment. Since then I have got the same item 'elsewhere-bay' for less than my offer. And the seller on here ended up reducing his price below my original offer too just to get a sale! Suppose some people would rather an item hangs around for ages in the hope of making a few extra quid!

[quote name='jahfish' timestamp='1355209972' post='1895318']
Suppose some people would rather an item hangs around for ages in the hope of making a few extra quid!
[/quote]

To be fair though, some people who are not desperate for an quick sale hang on to their items in the hope that the market will pick up a bit. No sign of that though... :(

Most of us have a pretty fair idea of what an item is "worth" based on how much we paid for it, it's age and condition, desirability, etc. Selling is a complex interaction though and sometimes random factors combine to mean that we either accept a sale price way below what we hoped for or expected, withdraw the item or hang on in hope. It all depends on the individual circumstances of the seller, and it is their prerogative to accept of decline offers. As long as it is done politely of course. :rolleyes:

The thing is, a seller can ask whatever they want to, and it's none of our business.

I may decide that my beloved Vintage brand Jazz bass is precious to me, and I would not entertain offers below £300.
Clearly, I may wait a LOOOOOONG time to find a buyer. But that's my problem. If that's what it takes for me to let it go, then that's what it takes. Whether it sells or not is a different matter.

So, a desperate seller will price low, a not-so-desperate one, may price higher. We can accept it, or keep looking.
Same with receiving low offers. We can accept them, or not. In either case, nobody is entitled to treat the other one as "plonkers" or "numpties" [1]

[1] as a foreigner, I find these two words extremely hilarious, I can't put my finger on why... :lol:

I've just had a strange experience with another BC'er. They advertised a second hand item at £200 plus £27 postage (new cost of item £255 including delivery). As I was looking for one of these, I made an "offer" of £200 to include delivery and a commitment to buy if they accepted.

Eventually got a pm stating that "postage was not included in the price" (I knew that, that's why I made "an offer") which didn't exactly accept or decline the offer, or even open up a negotiation. At that point I decided that for the extra £28 it may well be worth purchasing new so advised the seller of such & pursued it no more.

Within 24hrs the seller then alters the original ad to a total of £196 INCLUDING postage and marks the item SOLD. :unsure:

Got an identical item now of another BC'er for less still, so I ended up in a better position anyway, but how strange that you'd sell for less than you already had an offer for????

Just as an aside, this has happened on a previous occasion. Perhaps the seller takes the huff that someone has the affront to make them a "realistic" offer so just refuses out of bloody mindedness.........and then is too proud to accept the original offer when they realise that their asking price was a preventing a sale???

Edited by Rowley Birkin QC

My best ever bass deal followed a 'lowball'. I didn't mean it to be insulting - it was an auction organised by a local shop to sell a 68 jazz bass belonging to a retired pro who had fallen on hard times. The guy in the shop told me the only offer had been for £150. I upped that to £600 purely to get the auction running and was amazed to get a call half an hour later accepting my offer. I actually felt bad but what can you do - the guy needed the cash.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1355427190' post='1898389']
the only offer had been for £150.

I upped that to £600 purely to get the auction running and was amazed to get a call half an hour later accepting my offer.
[/quote]

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1355427618' post='1898391']
So, er, did you get it for £150, or for £600? Or did someone else get it. I don't understand.
[/quote]

£600 i reckon.

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1355427618' post='1898391']
So, er, did you get it for £150, or for £600? Or did someone else get it. I don't understand.
[/quote]

£600 and I got it......... not sure how that was confiusing. Anyway - principled hombre that I am (!) I did two gigs with it the following week (never liked jazz basses) then my wife , who works in a museum , had to put an exhibition together for about five quid so she came up with a 'my favourite thing' type of deal. I made up a silly sob story about it - orphaned cats ,terminal illness in goldfish etc etc - and it spent the next 4 months in a glass case in the museum. I then packed it off to V and R and 4 weeks later got a cheque for £1800.

I thought about contacting the guy and giving him some more money...... but only for a few seconds when I was pissed !

I know of a guy who picked up[b] two[/b] '59 Gibson Les Pauls for £3500, did not know what they were and felt that a fair price to give the owners widdow as he knew they were old, had them both evaluated and one had at some point received a neck repair (done well) sold at auction for £80'000 the other was the same as one sold at auction a few weeks earlier for £250'000! The new owner contacted the widdow and they gave the £80'000 to the RNLI as the previous owner was a lifeguard down south, AFAIK this guy still has the other :o

Edited by stingrayPete1977