Why become a member? ×

lowballing .. definition and .. is it insulting ?

hamfist

My own perspective on buying and selling is very simple.

If I'm selling I want market value or very close to it. I'll do my research and then price the item accordingly. I'll expect the buyer to have done likewise and recognise my price for what it is. If I decide I'm selling, I won't want it hanging about. I want it away, so I'll go for the type of price where I need to be thinking about postage or couriers within a couple of days at the most. Priced keenly but fairly and away it goes. Everybody's happy.

If I bought cheap, I'll sell cheap. See my recent OLP sale as an example.

If I'm buying, I'll want to find a seller that thinks like I do above. If he's price realistically and I can afford it then we'll have a deal. Easy peasy and nobody's offended.

If I'm looking on ebay and it's BIN with offers, I'll ALWAYS offer half the asking price. It usually gets refused, but very often the seller comes back with a keen counter offer and we might have a deal.

Buying and selling is about being mature enough to understand the rules of engagement and not taking it personally.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355478185' post='1898805']
Its you is it! :lol:
[/quote]

haha!

He has a point. people here always put the BIN price at way over market price, in hope of getting some lazy bugger with more money than sense that can't wait for the auction to end. At most, BIN should be 10% over market value. Offering half of BIN though, in most cases, is offering not that far below market value.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1355475746' post='1898754']I thought about contacting the guy and giving him some more money...... but only for a few seconds when I was pissed ![/quote]

See, now you just lost your angel's wings there; you'd only just sewn them on when you have to take them off again. ;)

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1355475746' post='1898754']
£600 and I got it......... not sure how that was confiusing.[/quote]

It was because you didn't mention what bass it was, and a random leap from 150 to 600 quid seemed odd.

Oh no hang on, I wasn't paying attention, as you did mention the bass, but not the make.

Or is a "68 jazz bass" very clearly going to be a fabulously expensive Fender. I'm not very up on bass heritage.

Sorry. I'm an idiot, either way.

And I don't know what V and R is.

Edited by Zenitram

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1355478909' post='1898820']
It was because you didn't mention what bass it was, and a random leap from 150 to 600 quid seemed odd.

Oh no hang on, I wasn't paying attention, as you did mention the bass, but not the make.

Or is a "68 jazz bass" very clearly going to be a fabulously expensive Fender. I'm not very up on bass heritage.

Sorry. I'm an idiot, either way.

And I don't know what V and R is.
[/quote]

you are clearly not at your brightest today, eh?
V and R are letters!!!
;)

(note: no, I don't know what V and R is either :P)

Somebody tried to sell a Hofner senator from 1959/1960 on local NI forum Fastfude. He claimed it was vintage (correct) and rare (not correct). He wanted £2500 for it, and said it was worth it because it was mint, and john lennon's guitar (massive lie there, although i think he meant SIMILAR to his guitar). He insisted no lowballers, but the truth is it wasn't worth more than about £500/£600. He was a bit of a troll, and constantly posting his "Mint second hand gear" for more than they sell new! i really do have a thing against the guy, it's insulting to our intelligence to do stuff like that.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355480683' post='1898857']
Vintage and Rare
[/quote]

No , that's a shop. V and R are def. still letters !! B)

As for my angel's wings.... well , the guy paid his bills and - so far as I know - lived happily ever after. My Mrs had a very successful exhibition. Vintage and Rare took their whack , paid tax on it , helped society and invested the profit in Starbucks. Mr Ishabisi Hiroshima of 1945 Whatthef***wasthatbang St , Nagasaki is still happily spilling his seed over the vintage fender he keeps in a locked cupboard because he can't play a note and I bought my first Trace Elliot rig and joined a new band on the strength of it. !0 years on I'm still entertaining the proles by calling them worse than sh*te and getting away with it because they're stupid enough to think I don't really mean it. Plus I buggered off to the Dom Rep with the change and learned to Scuba dive.

Thatcher taught her children well !!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355478185' post='1898805']
Its you is it! :lol:
[/quote]

Guilty. :rolleyes:

Let me flip it round though.
I've recently sold 3 items, all on BIN with offers.
All of them I set to automatically accept offers within £20 of the BIN price and sell.

Two of the items, I got very quick offers within a tenner of asking price and they sold at that point.
The third item, the offer was £20 less than the asking price so accepted too.

Had they all offered a wee bit less, they'd probably have been accepted.
It's a strange world is buying and selling and I think you have to somewhat turn off normal sensibility before entering.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1355496838' post='1899247']
I'm surprised this topic is still limping along. Surely there's nothing more to say after this:
[/quote] mate theres another thread that was about pricing of secondhand stuff, stingrays and warwicks in particular and it's still limping along full of people saying things like "I like stingrays" I like stingray's too" "i think they are very good" "I like their necks" etc etc some threads will go on an infinitium until someone gets compared to a Nazi

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1355501816' post='1899358']
mate theres another thread that was about pricing of secondhand stuff, stingrays and warwicks in particular and it's still limping along full of people saying things like "I like stingrays" I like stingray's too" "i think they are very good" "I like their necks" etc etc some threads will go on an infinitium until someone gets compared to a Nazi
[/quote]

You're a bit like a Nazi, Luke :ph34r: :D

mate theres another thread that was about pricing of secondhand stuff, stingrays and warwicks in particular and it's still limping along full of people saying things like "I like stingrays" I like stingray's too" "i think they are very good" "I like their necks" etc etc some threads will go on an infinitium until someone gets compared to a Nazi
[/quote]
Did someone mention stingrays? :)

[/quote]

I missed that one!!! I'll loook for it to add that I like Stingrays too!!! :P

although, I feel a bit "dirty", like I cheated on them. I have played my G&L L2000 (with a John East MMSR 3-band preamp) almost exclusively for the past two weeks... and it's got sucha wonderful growly dirty bridge pickup funky tone that I'm thinking it's going to become my main (only?) bass for a couple of bands. I can't believe I'm choosing the L2000 over a Stingray in some situations! :o

[quote name='Zenitram' timestamp='1354798253' post='1890473']
These are the only prices at which things get sold.
[/quote]
It's business not a personal attack. If it's worth more to you than you get offered then just say no.
Getting offended by bartering-Jesus Christ! Grow a pair!!

Edited by AussieBassman

[quote name='AussieBassman' timestamp='1355511863' post='1899549']
It's business not a personal attack. If it's worth more to you than you get offered then just say no.
Getting offended by bartering-Jesus Christ! Grow a pair!!
[/quote]

I thought bartering was trading goods?

"Grow a pair" Is very much the aussie party line, isn't it? :D i agree with you anyway. They want something cheap, you want decent money, sometimes it's inevitable, but so what, it's not like they have called you an idiot or anything.

Even stating the bleedin' obvious doesn't seem to be able to kill off this thread. :lol:

There's obviously a need for an EU directlive on sales of pre-owned goods so that everyone knows the rules and people can be fined (or jailed perhaps?) for not abiding by "the rules". Also, to avoid any pricing disputes, all pre-owned items being offered for sale will have to have a EU-approved valuation label, with the appropriate authorised catalogue number. Valuation centres will be established throughout all member countries and be funded by a new VTAT (Value Taken Away Tax) on every sale of 'pre-loved' items. It might seem a tad bureaucratic, but at least it will prevent people getting offended by being offered the 'wrong' price for an item and then starting pointless debates on the internet about how offended they are.