Why become a member? ×

lowballing .. definition and .. is it insulting ?

hamfist

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1355816295' post='1902980']
Are you telling me an offer of £500 on a vintage 4001 isn't an insult ??
[/quote]

I dont know or care whether that bass is or is not worth any particular amount.

I'm merely curious as to why any offer no matter how low is construed as an "insult" - how does a low offer damage or hurt you in any respect ?

i think the main point for me here is that its an offer

which means you don't have to take it for example i recently sold

a pedal on here worked out a price i was happy with and posted it at that

i had a couple of people offer me lower one guy knocking 20% off the asking price (hardly a massive hit i know)

but i held firm and eventually sold it for my original asking price politly reminding the guy that he'd overpaid me by a fiver

as i counted the money.

i guess my point is that any lowball offer that you consider insulting is only that because you are unsure of your asking price

set a price that is "realistic" (of course everyones opinion of this will be different) but have the confidence to stick to your guns

imo if you dont want to be subject to lowballing just simply put "no offers accepted" on your sale

this then makes it clear that you've listed the item at your price and thats the price you want for it

apologies i seem to have rambled on

This is a public online forum, right? Somewhere one should be allowed to air their point of view without ridicule? In my case, the low-ball I recieved I found to be insulting. Why cant some of you see that? Just because I hold a belief, does that allow those of you who dont agree with it to disrespect it?

I joined this thread to air my personal POV, not to be taken to task over it!

Enjoy your day, gentlemen.

There's more to life that getting insulted over things like a low offer that takes either a second to delete or 30 seconds to reply to even be offensive back if you like, wouldn't bother me. As we can see from your post your easily offended and where does it say you can't be ridiculed on a public forum? ;)

When people are dying of cancer or just had their child shot saying you are genuinely offended by stuff like a low offer on ebay or a forum is ridiculous imo :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355834153' post='1903299']
When people are dying of cancer or just had their child shot saying you are genuinely offended by stuff like a low offer on ebay or a forum is ridiculous imo :)
[/quote]

What the Hell are you bringing topics like that into this conversation for, man??

As to being offended, can't you get it though your head it's MY opinion and you should bloody well respect that instead of calling it 'ridiculous'!

Bringing cancer and shootings into a thread on low-ball offers is, quite frankly, not only ridiclous but make no sense, whatsoever!

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1355831364' post='1903223']
This is a public online forum, right? Somewhere one should be allowed to air their point of view without ridicule? In my case, the low-ball I recieved I found to be insulting. Why cant some of you see that? Just because I hold a belief, does that allow those of you who dont agree with it to disrespect it?

I joined this thread to air my personal POV, not to be taken to task over it!

Enjoy your day, gentlemen.
[/quote]

Ooohhh... touchy :o :o

It strikes me that if you air your personal POV on a public forum then you are going to have to expect some diverse opinions. I didn't see anybody having a go at you - just voicing alternative opinions. To which, as you rightly point out, we are entitled. Like lowballing offers - you are at liberty to disregard them, naturally.

Maybe we have very different thresholds for being offended or maybe the term offended has become meaningless like lots of other words?

My point about cancer and shootings was there as a yard stick for how bad things in life can be so spending a moment more of yours being genuinely offended by a so called low ball is maybe wasting your precious time, obviously you appear happy to feel that way so as you were :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355837224' post='1903350']
Maybe we have very different thresholds for being offended or maybe the term offended has become meaningless like lots of other words?

My point about cancer and shootings was there as a yard stick for how bad things in life can be so spending a moment more of yours being genuinely offended by a so called low ball is maybe wasting your precious time, obviously you appear happy to feel that way so as you were :)
[/quote]

Don't patronise me, man!

You never answerewd my question: WHY did you bring those two topics into the conversation?

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1355835715' post='1903315']
As to being offended, can't you get it though your head it's MY opinion and you should bloody well respect that instead of calling it 'ridiculous'!
[/quote]

One of the oddest aspects of modern society is that everyone seems to have gained the idea that calling something "their opinion" makes it sacrosant and of value. Its the same nonsense that leads to homeopaths being allowed "their opinion" on the best ways to cure cancer and creationists being allowed "their opinion" when it comes to the teaching of science in schools.

Not all opinions need to be respected. Some of them are just too silly. ;)

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1355837701' post='1903361']
One of the oddest aspects of modern society is that everyone seems to have gained the idea that calling something "their opinion" makes it sacrosant and of value. Its the same nonsense that leads to homeopaths being allowed "their opinion" on the best ways to cure cancer and creationists being allowed "their opinion" when it comes to the teaching of science in schools.

Not all opinions need to be respected. Some of them are just too silly. ;)
[/quote]

Hahaha, I love what passes for humour on this site. Keep it up!

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1355837632' post='1903360']
Don't patronise me, man!

You never answerewd my question: WHY did you bring those two topics into the conversation?
[/quote]

I don't want to speak for StingrayPete but my interpretation of his post was that he was trying to inject a sense of perspective into discussion.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1355837701' post='1903361']
One of the oddest aspects of modern society is that everyone seems to have gained the idea that calling something "their opinion" makes it sacrosant and of value.

[/quote]

Who mentioned anything about people's opinions being scarosanct? What have you been reading?

An opinion is just that and everyone is entitled to one.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355837224' post='1903350']

[/quote]

Can anyone else understand my point and see that I answered the question why clearly enough?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1355838180' post='1903370']
You say don't patronise you but can't you read?
[/quote]

Funny guy. Let me clarify: what made you think that it was suddenly revelant to bring in the subjects of cancer and shootings into this thread? I'm sorry, but please enlighten me.

[quote name='Dubs' timestamp='1355838670' post='1903389']
I've not contributed much to the forum for the last year beyond Off Topic, but it's good to know the same things are still coming around time and time again... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I have only peeked back in over the last few days, I think I'm going to revert back as I was :lol: