Why become a member? ×

Covers on a P.

Cyrene

On my custom fanned fret P-style bass, I do not have a cover over the pickup. But I do keep the bridge cover on for a couple of reasons: 1) hide the bridge (hey, I can't just let go of all of my secrets!) and 2) that little bit of weight helps keep the bass balanced, and 3) I think it looks good.

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1354631007' post='1888384']
But I do keep the bridge cover on for a couple of reasons: 1) hide the bridge (hey, I can't just let go of all of my secrets!) and 2) that little bit of weight helps keep the bass balanced, and 3) I think it looks good.
[/quote]
How do you damp the strings when you need to?

Ha. Thanks for the responses BC.
I had bought some last xmas (a potential cover there..) but ended up selling them on unwrapped.
I reckon they'll be in the way and a single chrome one on a Fiesta red/gold pickguard bass won't look too clever.
I play without a pick and use my palm and finger to mute.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1354631129' post='1888385']
How do you damp the strings when you need to?[/quote]
The way Leo originally did: a block of foam rubber. After that, a combination of right and left hand techniques on where I rest the fingers on the strings (I don't use a pick). But you have a point. When I started playing with the jazz/dance band I currently play with a few years ago, the band sounded great, but really didn't "swing" like it should or could. It was me. The bass had too much sustain and drive. So I resorted to the other solution for such situations: I purchased a double bass to go with my electric basses, including the custom, my Rickenbacker 4002, and my Miraphone tuba.

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1354730995' post='1889762']
I do the same as Rick.
When playing I only have the bridge cover on the bass
[/quote]

I too like bridge cover only for 2 reasons - it looks good and the pickup cover kinda gets in the way, for me anyway.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1354718124' post='1889510']
Damping has never been a problem because my technique is so good, i don't use my palm, thats for amateurs.
[/quote]

I really hope that's a joke.

There are lots of players with good/great technique who still palm mute (Marcus Miller and Anthony
Jackson to name just two)-it's certainly not an amateur thing.

With regards to the covers,I haven't got around to putting one on any of my Precisions but I have them
over the front pickup on a couple of my Jazz Basses. I don't find them a problem-I can rest my thumb on
them if I want,although most of the time it's resting on the strings.

I have to admit that I don't understand them. They look pretty but I couldn't play with them on. I am a pick player (yeah, so my opinion probably doesn't count...) and I don't play in one place along the body, depending on what I am playing. Fast and solid near the bridge or closer to the neck for more mellow sounding slow stuff, and I like to palm mute over the bridge. Although, one of my Basses has an action screw that sticks out too far and hurts my hand and I have been trying to think of a way of covering it without getting in the way. I suppose I should cut it shorter but I don't like the idea of losing the range.

• 4 months later...

Im on my first P bass which is a lefty 57 RI and I fitted a gold pickguard and chrome covers because I love that vintage look. Playing-wise the covers are not an issue as I approach this bass differently to say a Jazz with its funky back pickup which screams for fingerstyle.
I try and play to the bass. My old Gibson EBO only had a front humbucker at the neck and this developed a style of playing unique to that bass.
I like the way the covers on a P take my playing and choice of bassline in a slightly different direction to not being there and the great thing is, you can take them off anytime.

Edited by sblueplanet