Why become a member? ×

November Composition Competition - Voting Time!

charic

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1354118611' post='1882295']
I'm not entirely convinced that the site problems last night were responsible for the poll going AWOL given the timing of the two events and also the timing of a couple of other events that I was looking at. Plus only this poll seems to have been affected. I can't find evidence of any other polls being wiped out or of any other data loss being reported on the site...
[/quote]

I have a suspicion as to what could have happened, basically the site went down just as I updated one of the links. I couldn't come back to check it, it could have had some kind of bizarre error. It could also have been because I updated the link from my phone.

So umm.. yeah... I won't do that again. Been thinking about all the possibilities and those two seem the most likely.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1354124873' post='1882437']
[i]"No Charic... NOT THE RED BUTTON!!!"[/i]

Never mind mate, what's done is done. Very courageous of you to 'fess up as to what might have caused it.
[/quote]

Not quite, flame jackets on :lol:

charic, don't take any sh*t from anyone, none of this is your fault and for what it's worth I think you made absolutely the right decision to start the voting again, the other options were not sensible to my mind and would have generated very skewed results. The same trend is emerging already after only about 9 hours and 57 votes. We all know how many votes we had before if anyone needs that for an ego stroke, and barring the odd anomaly I think the result will probably be the same too. And there's only one winner.

I think the only issue that's changed the 2nd and 3rd runners at the moment is that Elvis's link was wrong, and wasn't rectified until yesterday anyway and now he has the vocals version available, and very clearly people are showing a strong preference for compositions with lyrics and self-confessed amateur vocalists :lol:

Hope I haven't offended anyone, but I think this new poll is perfectly fair.

OK. I've voted again.

I Didn't enter this month due issues mentioned earlier in the thread - but as has been the said, the nature of the prize has probably made any issue a bit more of a drama than it would usually have been.

I appreciate that 13 want to generate more social media traffic, but in my opinion, advertising it on personal facebook pages, is always going to generate a degree of "I entered a competition, sign up and vote for me" type response - intended or otherwise.

This is obviously going to skew the voting, turning it into a popularity contest, as opposed to votes being cast on their own merits....which to me, defeats the issue.

As for not listening to whole tracks.....I can see both sides of this. If you really don't like "X" style, it can be hard to sit through it, but, by the same token, If you want to vote, you should take the time to listen. Personally I can't judge a song, until I have heard it all.

Anyway, just my thoughts - not criticising anyone.
(Sits back and waits for the flak)

Lost 7 votes which no one knows if they will vote again or even see it, I think about 80 had voted up till last night could be wrong, thats the last number i clocked, 66 have voted so far and 11 more have added it to face book after all the fuss.

Im well chuffed :)

Thanks to those who have voted again its appreciated :D

Edited by Stephen Houghton

I have in the past avoided the monthly comps cos they are usually pics ones and my photo skills are 0! This evening i thought WTF go have a look at the votes page see what its all about, and I was blown away by the standard of the musicanship displayed. After listening to all the music I made my choice then scrolled through all 11 pages of this thread, to discover the whole range of ups and downs..it reads like a script from Eastenders!!

I have to say I was not aware of anything other than the music. I couldn't see the results before I had voted so your comment re tactical voting might be a bit wide of the mark Nige. All in all I am astounded that so many people made the efforts to produce some wonderful music, and were happy to share here on this forum, kudos to you all.

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1354136049' post='1882666']
I would expect entrants to drum up as many votes as possible in whatever way they can in order to win the prize.
[b]That's human nature isn't it?[/b]
[/quote]

Very very sadly, I think you are probably right, but I desperately hope that's not the case here, and I am saddened and disappointed you would expect the entrants to do so. I do hope this is not your personal attitude as I have always thought you were a very fair kind of guy. And I don't mean your complexion, although Anglesey might do that to a person :lol:

The effort should go into the interpretation, composition, execution, and being true to oneself. Not trying to ensure material gain with a campaign strategy, if that's the case then one should enter the Basschat Public Relations & Marketing Competition :D

Edited by silddx

Finally voted. :)

It wasn't an easy decision, and in the end I went for the one that I felt had the best composition given the inspiration for the project. I was sorely tempted to vote for others that perhaps suited my tastes more and were great songs in their own right, and it's such a shame we couldn't vote for more than one. Maybe single transferable vote next time. :lol:

Seriously good work from all concerned - not a duffer in there. Well done chaps!

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354137214' post='1882683']
Very very sadly, I think you are probably right, but I desperately hope that's not the case here, and I am saddened and disappointed you would expect the entrants to do so. I do hope this is not your personal attitude as I have always thought you were a very fair kind of guy. And I don't mean your complexion, although Anglesey might do that to a person :lol:

The effort should go into the interpretation, composition, execution, and being true to oneself. Not trying to ensure material gain with a campaign strategy, if that's the case then one should enter the Basschat Public Relations & Marketing Competition :D
[/quote]
Respect!

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354137214' post='1882683']

[/quote]

Sorry Nig, I must be getting cynical in my old age :mellow:

I'm not an expert on human behaviour, but I know people like to win, (not just for material gain) and asking friends for support may not seem so bad to everyone.
This is a competition after all and every song entered is a campaign strategy.

I am a very fair kind of guy btw B)

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1354139017' post='1882716']

I'm not an expert on human behaviour, but I know people like to win, (not just for material gain) and asking friends for support may not seem so bad to everyone.

I am a very fair kind of guy btw B)
[/quote]

S'funny innit, I feel I am incredibly cynical, but one very close friend told me I am very optimistic about humanity, I am thankfully starting to believe them :) But I wonder if you are right. I know you're a fair geezer mate :D

[quote name='redstriper' timestamp='1354139017' post='1882716']

I'm not an expert on human behaviour, but I know people like to win, (not just for material gain) and [b]asking friends for support may not seem so bad to everyone.[/b]

[/quote]

No disrespect to anyone, (and certainly not having a go at Redstriper, just using his post as a reference) but this is the kind of thing I was referring to. If it comes down to people asking other to vote for them, it defeats the purpose. It's all about the composition, not who has the most friends and family willing to vote for them, just to stroke their ego.

For me that would kill the whole point of the competition stone dead. The fun is in the creation, being judged by your peers, knowing that you will/will not win, based on your creativity. Knowing that you could loose because you play fair or because you don't use facebook, would certainly make me not want to bother next time.

Sad, but true.

[quote name='arsenic' timestamp='1354139965' post='1882742']
No disrespect to anyone, (and certainly not having a go at Redstriper, just using his post as a reference) but this is the kind of thing I was referring to. If it comes down to people asking other to vote for them, it defeats the purpose. It's all about the composition, not who has the most friends and family willing to vote for them, just to stroke their ego.

For me that would kill the whole point of the competition stone dead. The fun is in the creation, being judged by your peers, knowing that you will/will not win, based on your creativity. Knowing that you could loose because you play fair or because you don't use facebook, would certainly make me not want to bother next time.

Sad, but true.
[/quote]
Respect! (i'm on a respect vibe today)

Close arsenic, I like to think its about development. Of your creative skills, your ability to interpret an abstract subject, work to a timeframe, take and give criticism and a wholebload more. Basically developing as a composer.

For example it seems entries with vocals are doing doing particularly well. Now how are people who cant sing going to get by this? I dont know about you but Im eager to find out :)

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1354139349' post='1882722']
S'funny innit, I feel I am incredibly cynical, but one very close friend told me I am very [b]optimistic about humanity[/b], I am thankfully starting to believe them :) But I wonder if you are right. I know you're a fair geezer mate :D
[/quote]

I change from minute to minute, for no apparent reason but my basic attitude is that we're all doomed :( - I mean have you looked beyond BC recently?