Why become a member? ×

Who owns the PA?

davehux

Our current band PA is owned by the guitard, but he is leaving shortly and taking it with him. I own the band lighting rig. Neither of us charges the band for their purchase or use. We are currently gigging 2 or 3 times a month and this is unlikely to increase.

Just trying to work out the pros and cons of the new PA that we will need

Someone buys another and it remains their property.
Someone buys it and the band pays it back over a number of gigs.
Everyone stumps up cash up front for a share.
Just rent one each time

As usual, your Basschat experiences and helpful advice would be gratefully received

It's always better if somebody owns the PA outright to avoid any complexities at the band split.

The way one of my bands has financed the PA is that one person has bought it and charges a nominal PA hire fee of £50 per gig (which is used to pay off PA). The one guy ends up with the PA as an asset - but that worked for the rest of the band.

Sharing kit is a nightmare, it should always only have one owner IMHO, especially if the band is quite transient. I would suggest the MD/leader/organiser/lastonestanding/whatever has the PA and takes a slightly larger share of the earnings because of it.

Being a Christian band we have rather a holy arrangement. Pa belongs to the band and if the band splits we'll pass it on to another band. To be fair it was paid for originally by grant money rather than band members so that's quite easy to do.

Our issue is in replacing the mics, who pays for those? The singers are my favourite as the rest of us have our gear. In the end though my bass will always be more useful to me than a mic will be to a singer.

Tricky one.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1353343679' post='1873956']
Our issue is in replacing the mics, who pays for those? The singers are my favourite as the rest of us have our gear. In the end though my bass will always be more useful to me than a mic will be to a singer.

Tricky one.
[/quote]

Everyone who sings should own their own Mic. If only for health/cleanliness reasons.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1353344036' post='1873966']
Everyone who sings should own their own Mic. If only for health/cleanliness reasons.
[/quote]Agreed, caught a nasty infection from a mic once, made the mistake of using a rehearsal room supplied mic.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1353342632' post='1873930']
If it's just a vocal PA I'd say the singer - the rest of us own our own instruments.
[/quote]

Oh dear, oh deary me......you really should know by now that the singer gets the PA supplied along with the fluffy towels, puppies and green M&M's.... ;)

Seriously though, in our band I own and supply the PA. It allows me to ensure 1) it's made up of good gear that works together 2) its kept in good nick 3) it works! 4) it saves any problems on who "owns" what or is "responsible" should anybody leave or an item blows up and needs replacing. The only thing I expect the singers to provide is ther own good quality mic.

In the past I've tried the "band buys the PA" and "you buy that bit and I'll buy this bit" - it usually ends up messy when someone leaves........or forgets their piece of equipment for a gig.......or forgets that it needs to actually work for a gig.......sorry....rant over :D

I like the idea of renting the PA back to the band.....not thought of that one.....doh!

Edited by Acebassmusic

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1353344036' post='1873966']
[/quote]

There's a glorious anecdote involving Sade, Buster Bloodvessel and a shared SM58...

ah, here we go http://basschat.co.uk/topic/176732-funny-things-youve-heard-at-a-gigsoundcheck/ post #14

I'd go for the one person owns the PA arrangement. I own my bands PA outright, theres no argument, it belongs to me. If I leave I still have the PA.
And yes I think the singer should have the PA to but we all know what they're like. And each vocalist should have their own mic for hygiene reasons.

Dan

We all own it equally. Gig money has almost paid the finance off (it was underwritten by the two guitarists). if anyone leaves, the deal is that they get 80 per cent of their contribution back in cash and the PA stays with the band. The only risk of this is the last remaining member of the band ends up with the PA.

Everything apart from the desk lives in my cellar, so I get the pleasure of transporting it everywhere. On the other hand, if there's an acrimonious falling-out, possession is nine-tens of the law, isn't it?

In The Daves, we`ve bought the pa between us. Should anyone leave they don`t get a cut. Only when the band folds, will everyone who has been involved get an equal share. It`s up front, everyone knows this, and seems to keep things fairly hassle free. It all lives at our guitarists, so we all hope he`ll never leave - as there`s quite a lot of it.

In The Tuesday Club, the drummer already had his own, so no point in buying another, plus most gigs we play are at London venues with house pa anyway.

Edited by Lozz196

[quote name='Acebassmusic' timestamp='1353344418' post='1873978']
...in our band I own and supply the PA. It allows me to ensure 1) it's made up of good gear that works together 2) its kept in good nick 3) it works! 4) it saves any problems on who "owns" what or is "responsible" should anybody leave or an item blows up and needs replacing. The only thing I expect the singers to provide is ther own good quality mic.

[/quote]

Yup - after all manner of "issues" in the past, this is now how I do it. Singer/s provide their own mic, although I do have a couple of my own - everything else is mine.

If the guitarists were in any way involved, it'd either not work, or some leads would be missing or...

Also means I can comfortably use it with my other band, and do the sound for other bands, parties etc without worrying about breaking "our" PA.

Works for me.

The band started with a shared PA, gradually bits broke, nobody interested in losing money by giving up gig money to replace so I bought the replacement gear, now I own the entire PA and I take a sixth man cut for supplying PA and looking after the sound. Everyone is happy with this, and as I'm the one operating it now it all works!

Singers have to have their own mic. I also believe they should supply the PA to be honest (it's their amp after all) but having seen so many singers turn up with wholly insubstantial / broken / unsafe equipment, for my peace of mind I just do the PA!

In an ideal world, just as everyone else does, the singer should turn up with adequate amplification/personal monitoring equipment, that they know how to use and keep in working condition. I think world peace and an end to suffering is a more realistic goal however.

Our singer and the guitarists share the PA so they payed for it but sooner or later is going to cause issues when one of them leaves or something breaks.

I've found that PA's cause nothing but arguments over who owns what & who pays for what so now I try to stay out of it, I own and maintain my rig & leave the PA stuff to them.