Why become a member? ×

GAK needs you!

yoseph900

Hi everyone,

In the new year [b][color=#ff0000]GAK[/color][/b] are expanding their bass department. We're looking to get on board with a handful more high-end brands.

I would be very grateful for your opinions on what high-end brands you would like to see hanging on our walls.

Thanks very much team.

Joe.

Excellent news, bought a good few things from GAK over the years, including my current - and permanent - Markbass rig.

At present, all boxes ticked for me, Fender, Markbass, Rotosound, but i`m sure some have more exotic/expensive tastes, and will welcome this.

How about stocking more variety of Flatwound strings, especially for the guys who need strings more than they need more 'high-end brands' :rolleyes: & while I'm at it - how about having a bass or 3 set up with Flats on amongst the many 'basses on show'?

I bought a Markbass rig off you in the last year. However when I visited the lack of Warwicks (nil) and also Musicman (I think there was a Ray, a Ray 5 and a couple of SBMM) basses on display was alarming - far too many Fenders I'm afraid - nice as they are it's a bit of a turn off for a casual visit - just my opinion!!

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1353163956' post='1872295']
Since there currently isn't a single Warwick dealer in the country, that might be a brand to explore.
[/quote]

Our dealer in the UK is Play Away Guitars:

Play Away Guitars
Unit W4, Knoll Business Centre
Old Shoreham Road
BN3 7GS Hove, East Sussex
Great Britain

Phone : 0044 01273 423950
Mail : [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]

Thanks!

I too have spent a good few bob with GAK!
[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1353166959' post='1872325']
I bought a Markbass rig off you in the last year. However when I visited the lack of Warwicks (nil) and also Musicman (I think there was a Ray, a Ray 5 and a couple of SBMM) basses on display was alarming - far too many Fenders I'm afraid - nice as they are it's a bit of a turn off for a casual visit - just my opinion!!
[/quote]
There's quite a few Musicman basses on your website, but it's important to have a good selection in stock for real live comparison.
[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1353172764' post='1872423']
Godin A4/A5 SA? Would be interesting to be able to demo synth access.
[/quote]
Loads of Godin guitars on the website (nothing wrong with that - I have 2 solid electros myself!) but where are the Shifters and A-series?

Thanks everyone,

I wondered if Aguilar would come up at all, there on our maybe list. If a few more people give them a mention I'll push harder to get them in.

Pretty much expected the Lakland, Sandberg, we'll try to get both of them in, but when we stocked Lakland before they didn't really sell. Is Sadowsky on any more people's wish list?

I'll have a butchers at Godin, I've not really considered them.

We have a wall full of Musicman, so we're all geared up there.

Genz Benz we have buckets of at the moment, they're doing really well.

Warwick, we are already a dealer for, and we do intend to get them lining our shelves again for the new year.

EBS are just up the road from us, so I was going to consider them very strongly.

thanks everyone, it does really help to get some opinions, so thanks for taking the time.

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1353172207' post='1872414']
Our dealer in the UK is Play Away Guitars:

Play Away Guitars
Unit W4, Knoll Business Centre
Old Shoreham Road
BN3 7GS Hove, East Sussex
Great Britain

Phone : 0044 01273 423950
Mail : [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]

Thanks!
[/quote] went to their website... no mention of Warwick!

[quote name='yoseph900' timestamp='1353177815' post='1872507']
Thanks everyone,

I wondered if Aguilar would come up at all, there on our maybe list. If a few more people give them a mention I'll push harder to get them in.

Pretty much expected the Lakland, Sandberg, we'll try to get both of them in, but when we stocked Lakland before they didn't really sell. Is Sadowsky on any more people's wish list?

I'll have a butchers at Godin, I've not really considered them.

We have a wall full of Musicman, so we're all geared up there.

Genz Benz we have buckets of at the moment, they're doing really well.

Warwick, we are already a dealer for, and we do intend to get them lining our shelves again for the new year.

EBS are just up the road from us, so I was going to consider them very strongly.

thanks everyone, it does really help to get some opinions, so thanks for taking the time.
[/quote]

If you can do Sadowsky but bring the Metro UK retail price down, they'd sell quite well.

Lakland basses are great, but I've noticed GuitarGuitar have the exact same Lakland basses in...eg been on display for a LONG time.

Aguilar...without a doubt. Hardly any Aguilar gear in the UK and its fantastic.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1353182984' post='1872588']
If you can do Sadowsky but bring the Metro UK retail price down, they'd sell quite well.

Lakland basses are great, but I've noticed GuitarGuitar have the exact same Lakland basses in...eg been on display for a LONG time.

Aguilar...without a doubt. Hardly any Aguilar gear in the UK and its fantastic.
[/quote]

Well noticed. We're pretty good pals with the Guitar Guitar guys, and that's exactly why we're on the fence with Lakland. Personally I love the Bob Glaub, but we'll have to see. In fact Guitar Guitar haven't had a great turn around on the Sadowsky stuff either. Sandberg seems to be the name on everyone's lips at the moment.

High end? You have opened a can of worms there! On a serious note, here's a couple of brands (high end rep...reasonable price) that you don't see in this country often that you might want to explore...[list]
[*][u]Brubaker Brute[/u] - cheaper versions of the made to order basses that are a big hit in the US. Tom Richards @ Brubaker is keen to get the brand known in the UK, so could GAK be the retailer/distributor he is looking for? Tom is also a BC member (user - TomRichards).
[*][u]KSD (Ken Smith Design)[/u] - Don't know if there is a UK retailer/distributor for these basses, but I have seen very few over here. Lovely instruments. I think the UK market will love them.
[/list]
High-end in bass terms usually means expensive made to order instruments, which is fine if you want to wait on the build time. We don't see a lot of stores in the UK support home grown talent like Overwater, Shuker, GB, Status etc... Everyone wants a US bass! There are plenty of bass builders in the UK that can compete with the colonies and it would be good to see a store support the Brits for a change.

Amp wise...most popular brands are already available in the UK, but Epifani is a popular high end brand that is hard to find in the UK. Glockenlang are also a brand that you don't find here. Those amps are monsterous!

You used to have tons of Warwick in, but then it never seemed to move as I recall, and Fender require you to put one of everything on the wall if previous conversations are true. Not really great that though for the punters.

I havent been in for ages as I suffer no GAS at all these days. Last thing I bought from you was my sa450, which has been brilliant.

Being in Brighton I think it would be cool if you had one of each Barefaced Cab on display, since they are from Brighton too. Not a lot of people really know about BF cabs and they are good....

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1353404934' post='1874580']
Being in Brighton I think it would be cool if you had one of each Barefaced Cab on display, since they are from Brighton too. Not a lot of people really know about BF cabs and they are good....
[/quote]

Only problem with that is Alex then has to deal with GAK, who obviously have to make a profit, which could mean its difficult to make the cabs the same price as direct from BF. I suppose they could sort something out though.

I never knew you guys had a wall of Musicman basses!