Why become a member? ×

GAK needs you!

yoseph900

What you need to do is to take a look at what the big 3 high-end bass retailers (The Gallery, Bass Direct and Bass Gear) are stocking and then have a look at what has been suggested in this thread that isn't already being catered for by them.

The problem with "high end" musical instruments is that once you get to a certain price point you are looking at stuff that is essentially custom made and customers will want to deal direct with the people making them. A retailer adds nothing here other than an unnecessary hike in price. Also a lot of the instruments being suggested in this thread are essentially Fender copies. Granted that most of them are better made, but you'll need to work hard to convince the average (non-Basschat) bassist that they are worth the extra money.

Personally I'd be interested in someone stocking the more esoteric Japanese brands: Atlansia, Tune, Fernandes, proper Japanese ESPs (not the US Ltd models) and MIJ Tokais.

Edited by BigRedX

[quote name='yoseph900' timestamp='1353160989' post='1872238']
Hi everyone,

In the new year [b][color=#FF0000]GAK[/color][/b] are expanding their bass department. We're looking to get on board with a handful more high-end brands.

I would be very grateful for your opinions on what high-end brands you would like to see hanging on our walls.

Thanks very much team.

Joe.
[/quote]

Hey Joe

Agree with the Sandberg suggestion and how about Spector?

On another note - i just picked up one of your Zoom B9 bargains (excellent bit of kit BTW and great service from yourselves) and now need something to cart it about in. Any suggestions for a bag/case that it'll fit in?

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1353163956' post='1872295']
Since there currently isn't a single Warwick dealer in the country, that might be a brand to explore.
[/quote]

Maybe not in Wales, but there is at least one in England. Well, my local Cash Converters in Norwich always has half-a-dozen brand new Warwicks in stock. I'm not sure if they're a pukka official dealer (whatever that means), but they carry a good selection.

But I think we're spoiled in Norwich for some reason. Within a hundred yards of that shop there are three other guitar shops and there is a PMT 15 minutes walk away and an independent (run by a bassist) ten minutes walk away in the other direction.

Back on topic...

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1353585646' post='1876263']
Maybe not in Wales, but there is at least one in England. Well, my local Cash Converters in Norwich...
[/quote]

My guitarist works there!!!

Next time you're in ask to see Dan.... if he's in walk up to him and shout "SOOOOMEEERRRSHAAAAAAM" and walk off. It's an ongoing joke :lol:

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1353659420' post='1876987']
Also how about Glockenklang?
[/quote]

Would love to, amazing gear, but not quite UK estalished yet :(

[quote name='Mudpup' timestamp='1353577399' post='1876148']
Hey Joe

Agree with the Sandberg suggestion and how about Spector?

On another note - i just picked up one of your Zoom B9 bargains (excellent bit of kit BTW and great service from yourselves) and now need something to cart it about in. Any suggestions for a bag/case that it'll fit in?
[/quote]

Spector we have already...in fact I have the same 2 spectors we bought in 5 years ago...probably won't buy them again. (I'll look into a carry case when I'm in tomorrow.)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1353496080' post='1875128']
What you need to do is to take a look at what the big 3 high-end bass retailers (The Gallery, Bass Direct and Bass Gear) are stocking and then have a look at what has been suggested in this thread that isn't already being catered for by them.

The problem with "high end" musical instruments is that once you get to a certain price point you are looking at stuff that is essentially custom made and customers will want to deal direct with the people making them. A retailer adds nothing here other than an unnecessary hike in price. Also a lot of the instruments being suggested in this thread are essentially Fender copies. Granted that most of them are better made, but you'll need to work hard to convince the average (non-Basschat) bassist that they are worth the extra money.

Personally I'd be interested in someone stocking the more esoteric Japanese brands: Atlansia, Tune, Fernandes, proper Japanese ESPs (not the US Ltd models) and MIJ Tokais.
[/quote]

Although I'm having to say very little at the moment, I can tell you that the bass expansion for next year is going to be pretty major. With that in mind we are aware of what needs to be on our shelves and of what other retailers are stocking. I wanted to see what brands people really want rather than what retailers think they want because the reps have given them good deals. Sandberg has been banded around on this thread more than anything else along with Aguilar, which is great and helps me work out how much shelf space to allocate each new brand.

Most high end stuff are Fender copies, and that's because that's what works for bass. I am not expecting to sell the average Joe a Sadowsky over a Mexican Fender, but I am hoping that with the right stock more people will come to GAK for the choice.

I sell starter packs and mid level basses all day long, but it would be very nice if GAK could move into a market that really interested pro players and basschatters.

Thanks again for all your input gang!

[quote name='Warwick_Official' timestamp='1353172207' post='1872414']
Our dealer in the UK is Play Away Guitars:

Play Away Guitars
Unit W4, Knoll Business Centre
Old Shoreham Road
BN3 7GS Hove, East Sussex
Great Britain

Phone : 0044 01273 423950
Mail : [email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email]

Thanks!
[/quote]

That's an industrial unit and so unlikely to welcome potential customers.

[quote name='Bassman Steve' timestamp='1353686448' post='1877490']
You could also consider not charging me 9 quid extra for a set of strings in the shop when I have no need of any advice and simply want to buy those strings. I accept some difference to on-line but 9 quid is incredible (Rotosound). I was too embarrassed to walk out but that's what I wanted to do.
[/quote]

The 9 quid extra are needed to pay business tax and rates. Something Amazon is avoiding via dodgy tax evasion schemes. ;)

[quote name='yoseph900' timestamp='1353160989' post='1872238']
Hi everyone,

In the new year [b][color=#ff0000]GAK[/color][/b] are expanding their bass department. We're looking to get on board with a handful more high-end brands.

I would be very grateful for your opinions on what high-end brands you would like to see hanging on our walls.

Thanks very much team.

Joe.
[/quote]

How about the Ibanez Groovelines - I mean in the actual shop - so people can try them? You can't get 'em anywhere in the UK