Why become a member? ×

Lenny Kravitz - Are You Gonna Go My Way

Hobbayne

Can anyone help me work out what is going on under the guitar solo? I have worked out the first few bars of the solo, but it seems to go off on a tangent with those chromatic runs.
I dont want to use tabs as they are probably are all wrong. I like to use my ear, but must admit it has me beat. :(

I do this number with the current band. Took me awhile to get to grips with it but persevered mostly by ear. Have to admit that although I don;t like resorting to the tab sites, I did because I had to learn a whole set list a bit sharpish.

If no one comes along to help, let me know and I will attempt to tab it for you.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1352819296' post='1867810']
If you're struggling and want to keep the exact bass part then I'm sure there's someone on YT who's nailed it note for note. Failing that,[b] do your own thing![/b] It's a great bass line, but the solo is anything and everything between E, D and A.
[/quote]

This. - just keep the groove going

Edited by Count Bassy

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1352819597' post='1867817']

This. - just keep the groove going
[/quote]

I've had to do this for a few songs, either because I didn't have time to learn it correctly, or I just couldn't work it out. Key thing is that it fits the flow of the song and keeps it moving along.

There's nothing wrong with doing your own thing.

Or load the original into a DAW and pitch shift it up an octave, then put a low pass filter on it at around 300Hz, the bass line will pop right out in your face - easy.

Next step, slow it down to half speed,looping any note you arent sure of, and transcribe away....

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1352813782' post='1867693']
Can anyone help me work out what is going on under the guitar solo? I have worked out the first few bars of the solo, but it seems to go off on a tangent with those chromatic runs.
[/quote]
You are pretty much on the right lines anyway re the tangential chromatic runs!

Try breaking the passage down into bits. The solo is 16 bars long, so think of it as eight phrases of 2 bars each. The first four notes of each 2 bar phrase are the same, generally followed by three chromatic runs of three notes each. Note that a couple of the phrases in the first eight bars are repeated second time around!

It's not the most precise bass part around, so it won't matter too much if you get the runs in the wrong order or put you're own in of you feel like it, as long as you keep that chromatic feel going......

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1352824702' post='1867971']
Or load the original into a DAW and pitch shift it up an octave, then put a low pass filter on it at around 300Hz, the bass line will pop right out in your face - easy.

Next step, slow it down to half speed,looping any note you arent sure of, and transcribe away....
[/quote]Whats a "DAW" ?

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1352831638' post='1868107']
It's odd. From memory as above it's just chromatics but it's not exactly 16 bars long.
[/quote]
Count it out in your head - a straightforward 16 bars (divided into 2 sections of 8 bars)!

I used to do this in a covers band. Only one guitarist so I improvised and had to cover the bass part and rhythm guitar. Had to do that in pretty much every song with 2 guitar parts, fun times.

The thing I remember about it is that you've got to know the guitar solo, its sometimes not what you'd expect.

I have the notation with tab. PM me your email and I'll scan and send it to you. This part is totally different to the rest of the song and will need some work to nail and remember it. I have to keep practising the song because of this section. It' great when you get it as it's a blasting bass line. I'll give you the whole song so you do it all justice.

Edited by mep

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1352835030' post='1868179']
I have the notation with tab. PM me your email and I'll scan and send it to you. This part is totally different to the rest of the song and will need some work to nail and remember it. I have to keep practising the song because of this section. It' great when you get it as it's a blasting bass line.
[/quote]

Glad I'm not the only one. Remembering the damned part is the most difficult bit :)

This is what I play. I couldn't tab the rhythm but its easy enough to figure that bit out.

It's definitely not right but sounds fine

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------5--6--7---5--6--7------------------------------------------
-7-----7--5-------------------------4--5--6--7-----7--5--7--8--9--9-----
----0---------------------------------------------0---------------------------

-10--12--0--4--5--7------7--5---------0--0--4--5--0--4--5--7---7--5-
-------------------------0---------3--2--------------------------------0---

--------------5--6--7---------------------------------------------------------
---5--6--7------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------4--5--6--7------------------------------------------

EDIT: just realised this doesn't look right on the mobile version so if anyone's thinking WTF? that would be why! Seems ok on desktop version though.

Edited by Evil Undead

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1352836855' post='1868225']
This is what I play. I couldn't tab the rhythm but its easy enough to figure that bit out.

It's definitely not right but sounds fine

---------------5--6--7---5--6--7------------------------------------------
-7-----7--5-------------------------4--5--6--7-----7--5--7--8--9--9-----
----0---------------------------------------------0---------------------------

-10--12--0--4--5--7------7--5---------0--0--4--5--0--4--5--7---7--5-
-------------------------0---------3--2--------------------------------0---

--------------5--6--7---------------------------------------------------------
---5--6--7------------------------------------------------------------------
-------------------------4--5--6--7------------------------------------------
[/quote]
Close enough for jazz (as the old saying goes)!!

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1352832041' post='1868111']

Count it out in your head - a straightforward 16 bars (divided into 2 sections of 8 bars)!
[/quote]

No. There's a 5 bar section just before the guitar solo, with a couple of beats of bass lead in, then the guitar solo is 17bars long. The 17th bar is ringing guitar and a couple of beats of drums.

There's a few 6 bar sections throughout the song too.

You may not be aware of it because a lot of it you feel rather than count.

I will always count if I need to!

I suppose that technically you are right that the guitar solo is 17 bars long, but that is because he holds the last note for an extra bar at the end. I think that for someone trying to learn to play the part, it is probably easier to think of it as 16 bars made up of eight 2 bar phrases with a sustained note at the end.

Personally I've always thought of it as a set filler, generally when I'm playing deps, and haven't analysed it that much. I've gigged it many times (as I most likely will again on Saturday night depping for a band) and the above approach has always worked fine for me!

PS. Evil Undead's transcription above is pretty close to what I play.....

Edited by peteb

OK. this is the transcription for the whole song from a 1993 guitar magazine. Our guitarist has shed loads of these mags and always seems to have transcriptions for the songs we need.

Enjoy. :)

Edit. I had a look at Evil Undead's tab and it's good, but it's only for the first half of the solo. The second half is different, although you could repeat the first half. I have done a few variations of this when I have forgotten the order and mixed it up and also changed a few notes. It's worth doing it right if you can and also getting the correct rhythm variations between the verses and all the runs. Also we keep the syncopated bit in the 2nd verse the same as the 1st verse to make it easier. That second verse bit is odd! Our drummer did it in his old band and the bass player did some real lame-ass version for the whole song. Don't make that mistake. BTW you need a decent drummer to get the feel right.

Edited by mep

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1352831858' post='1868110']
Whats a "DAW" ?
[/quote]

Digital Audio Workstation, so something like Reaper, Logic, Protools, Cubase etc etc

You could theoretically manage a lot of what I said in Audacity, but its severely flawed for this type of work IMO.