Why become a member? ×

October Composition Competition - Voting Time!

charic

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1351359579' post='1850543']
So true!
[/quote]
Although that could be non members listening but unable to vote, and possibly a fair number of robots, I have resigned myself to the sad fact that most people on Basschat would rather talk about stuff than actually listen to new music, it takes effort and the rewards are often too small for people to be bothered.

I really shouldn't be complaining because the Kit Richardson work has gone down incredibly well and we've sold over 40 EPs through Basschat (THANK YOU!), but I'm in the minority here I think.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1351360209' post='1850549']
Although that could be non members listening but unable to vote, and possibly a fair number of robots, I have resigned myself to the sad fact that most people on Basschat would rather talk about stuff than actually listen to new music, it takes effort and the rewards are often too small for people to be bothered.

I really shouldn't be complaining because the Kit Richardson work has gone down incredibly well and we've sold over 40 EPs through Basschat (THANK YOU!), but I'm in the minority here I think.
[/quote]
Well it don't take much effort in the grand scheme of things. Plus you shouldn't need rewarding to hear new music. It's good to hear the things people come up with plus you get to experience people on a different level. I recognised some of the entrants from different threads and wouldn't neccessarily expect them to produce the music they have produced. If you know what i mean?

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1351360209' post='1850549']I have resigned myself to the sad fact that most people on Basschat would rather talk about stuff than actually listen to new music, it takes effort and the rewards are often too small for people to be bothered.[/quote]

Sad but true. And typical of most music forums.

That said, I honestly think Basschat has one of the best communities for this sort of thing. The votes are in small numbers, sure, but I genuinely appreciate the feedback given here much more than I do on other forums - mainly 'cos I have more respect for the people and opinions here than elsewhere.

Quality over quantity, etc, etc. Although quantity would be nice too!

Still, in time I reckon these challenges could start to involve more and more of the Basschat community. But if not, I'm quite happy sharing my efforts with you few creative souls and having fun with it.

Cheers! :drinks:

I have voted (finally)
All good stuff.

And I would love to spend more time on here listening to stuff and being constructive, but 98% of my BC time is spent at work, where I can't listen to anything. And the rest is while I am out here in my studio listening to stuff i need to learn for gigs, or inbetween mixes and takes for my own stuff, so listening to stuff here would take up much needed RAM.
I do try though...

i did a quick noodle to add for this month if you want rick, its pretty sh*t but i only did it to give me a practice so i can do next months one properly

[url="http://soundcloud.com/rockfordstone/stand-my-ground"]http://soundcloud.com/rockfordstone/stand-my-ground[/url]

im not fussed about being entered into this months runnings, there are a lot of better offerings than this anyway but up to you mate

I voted a while back. I think Bilbo deserves a separate award for the best title. What is it with jazzers and weak puns? :lol: I recall an album by my erstwhile jazz-piano teacher Janette Mason called "[url="http://www.jazzcds.co.uk/artist_id_611/cd_id_493"]Din and Tonic[/url]", which seems to be part of the same tradition.

Hats off to everyone who got it together to produce something. I find my main musical projects take all my spare time - if I tried to join in with this too, everything else would grind to a halt!

Edited by Earbrass

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1351450796' post='1851361']
i did a quick noodle to add for this month if you want rick, its pretty sh*t but i only did it to give me a practice so i can do next months one properly

[url="http://soundcloud.com/rockfordstone/stand-my-ground"]http://soundcloud.co...stand-my-ground[/url]

im not fussed about being entered into this months runnings, there are a lot of better offerings than this anyway but up to you mate
[/quote]

Added :)

[quote name='Earbrass' timestamp='1351505072' post='1851770']
I voted a while back. I think Bilbo deserves a separate award for the best title. What is it with jazzers and weak puns? :lol: I recall an album by my erstwhile jazz-piano teacher Janette Mason called "[url="http://www.jazzcds.co.uk/artist_id_611/cd_id_493"]Din and Tonic[/url]", which seems to be part of the same tradition.
[/quote]

Mike Bradley [Drummer] wrote a tune called "Stomping On The Saveloy" :lol:

Garry

The reason behind Jazz pun thing is simple: no lyrics = no obvious hook onto which to hang a title! There have been some great puns over the years. Jeff Berlin particularly likes playing this game: 'Hello Dali', 'Lumpy Jazz', 'Everybody Knows You When You're Up & In'. Steve Swallow does it well also; 'Second Handy Motion', 'Muddy In The Bank' are two that come to mind. I have a few 'in waiting': 'For All We Know, We May Never Eat Again', 'Almost Like Being In Debt' and 'Four Funerals and A Wedding'. My own existing titles include 'I Didn't Do It' (based on the changes for 'I'm Confessin'), 'Second Guest', 'Escape From The Country' etc etc. It's nothing more than wordplay to over the fact that describing music with words is not always simple.

I am finding it hard to find the time to wade through all the tracks in one hit.
It seems to me that with more people having a knock each month,
that it might worth putting a shorter track length in place for a still picture image - between 1 1/2 - 2 minutes maybe [videos different matter of course]
That way more people might listen through and vote.

Just a suggestion of course.

Garry