Why become a member? ×

Fender Marcus Miller Jazz - MKII Made In Mexico

AndyTravis

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1350641344' post='1841544']
Headstock looks loads better actually.
[/quote]

Yeah, I agree! One of the things that really put me off the MIJ MM's is the way the Fender logo looks like it was applied by a blind man in the dark. I've seen some where it is under the string tree leaving a massive expanse of bare wood underneath it. How did they allow them to go out like that?

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1350668014' post='1842127']
When I had mine it had a massive shielding problem. Everytime I rolled it onto the bridge pickup, Bang! Noise comes through the amp like crazy.
Did anyone else have this problem or am I the only one?
[/quote]

I had mine fully shielded. Now it's as quiet as a mouse

[quote name='SisterAbdullahX' timestamp='1351030509' post='1846550']
Yeah, I agree! One of the things that really put me off the MIJ MM's is the way the Fender logo looks like it was applied by a blind man in the dark. I've seen some where it is under the string tree leaving a massive expanse of bare wood underneath it. How did they allow them to go out like that?
[/quote]

Take a look at Marcus' bass...especially the picture on the back of the 'Tales' album. The Fender logo on his is high up
and slightly under the string tree.That's probably why it's like that on the Marcus signatures,and shows that it's not really
a Japanese problem,because Fender were obviously doing that (possibly in error?) in '77.

Also, moving production to Mexico means cheaper cost prices so better profit margins for retailers! More profit with better supply equals more money in everyone's pocket (except the customer!). Clever Fender.

On the plus side, my Geddy which is perfect condition and bought new for £550 in 2005 will hopefully be worth a bit more thanks to Fender's regular price hikes and the fact that its CIJ.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1351080726' post='1847017']
On the plus side, my Geddy which is perfect condition and bought new for £550 in 2005 will hopefully be worth a bit more thanks to Fender's regular price hikes and the fact that its CIJ.
[/quote]

Here's hoping! :D

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1351094329' post='1847286']
I wonder what upgrades'll be done to the GL's? I've been after one for a while, might be worth holding on even longer and getting a mim if it's better. Can see prices of the CIJ's skyrocketing when word gets out they're made in an 'inferior' place for the same money.
[/quote]

+1 to both :)

I wonder what upgrades'll be done to the GL's? I've been after one for a while, might be worth holding on even longer and getting a mim if it's better. Can see prices of the CIJ's skyrocketing when word gets out they're made in an 'inferior' place for the same money.
[/quote]

Some of the older MIJ's are great, but after playing some modern Japanese Fenders, I wasn't overwhelmed. No doubt like many Fenders, once they stop them, the hype of how much they are worth sets in.

[/quote]

I dunno, some of the mexican stuff has a good rep. I mean the roadworn stuff is popular and given how little you see for sale here, I guess folk keep it too!

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1351079093' post='1846980']
Take a look at Marcus' bass...especially the picture on the back of the 'Tales' album. The Fender logo on his is high up
and slightly under the string tree.That's probably why it's like that on the Marcus signatures,and shows that it's not really
a Japanese problem,because Fender were obviously doing that (possibly in error?) in '77.
[/quote]

Ahh! That might explain it, then. It's not a great look, though.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1351278712' post='1849724']

Never been a Fender dealer then eh.

Clever Fender.
[/quote]

Sure have and still are. Maybe it's dependant on which fender discount bracket your company is in or we get better cost prices for being a multiple retailer and shifting large quantities of stock? I'll admit, comparitavely the margins are dreadful compared to Gibson etc, but for Fender, the margins on mex stuff is a lot better than CIJ and US!

Edited by skej21

• 7 months later...

Just purchased this bass and i have to say the build quality is second to none!!! fantastic sounding , replaced the supplied strings and wow what a bass, all i had to do was lower the action slightly and raise pickups the set up was pretty good. much better with battery compartment on the rear. solid feeling bass the neck is just right and looks great, the machine heads are solid and feel of high quality and are reverse. all good in my opinion.

Edited by geofio

[quote name='geofio' timestamp='1370022179' post='2095736']
Just purchased this bass and i have to say the build quality is second to none!!! fantastic sounding , replaced the supplied strings and wow what a bass, all i had to do was lower the action slightly and raise pickups the set up was pretty good. much better with battery compartment on the rear. solid feeling bass the neck is just right and looks great, the machine heads are solid and feel of high quality and are reverse. all good in my opinion.
[/quote]

How much, if you don't mind me asking?

BSB

[quote name='geofio' timestamp='1370039764' post='2096028']
got mine for £875
[/quote]

I suppose really, that's a bargain for Mexicans these days and especially a signature, nice bargain Mr Geofio :D
Personally, I always wanted the Japanese one but guess we'll see what happens ;)

I'm surprised they went to Mexico after they made the (not so common?) Master-built :-/

BSB

just want to add after using the bass tonight i love it, great sound and it feels great, the bass and treble controls are the smoothest i have felt on any bass at any price give them a try and you will see what i mean. the pre amp is just awesome, tons of bass!!!! just try one they are superb!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1350654209' post='1841844']
Yes it does. Check out pictures of Marcus' original '77 Jazz-there is no routing on the back of the bass,and the battery
compartment is in the same place as in the Japanese signature model. I'm not sure about his current Custom Shop
models (he doesn't tour the '77 much anymore) though.
[/quote]
How do you know he's using a Custom Shop? I know he's not using his '77 all the time but where did you get the CS info?
I've seen him using one with his signature on the headstock, like an off the shelf model, although probably upgraded.