Why become a member? ×

Almost had everything, where to go next?

Shockwave

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1350132849' post='1834942']
The one thing that does not change is my want to cut through the mix like a knife.
[/quote]

Why would you want this ?, do you think an audience wants to hear a mix where instruments "cut through" or one where everything is nicely blended ?.

[quote]
What would suggest I do?
[/quote]

Make a resolution to never spend more that half as much time thinking about / messing with gear than you do actually playing.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1350152696' post='1835282']
Why would you want this ?, do you think an audience wants to hear a mix where instruments "cut through" or one where everything is nicely blended ?.
[/quote]

Because I want to hear myself and I cant rely on guitarists to sort their sound out. Its how I like to play. Geddy Lee's tone cuts through and sounds awesome.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1350152696' post='1835282']
Make a resolution to never spend more that half as much time thinking about / messing with gear than you do actually playing.
[/quote]

No. Because I play bass more then "mess around".

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1350153009' post='1835288']
Because I want to hear myself and I cant rely on guitarists to sort their sound out. Its how I like to play. Geddy Lee's tone cuts through and sounds awesome.
[/quote]

You said you didn't like Geddy Lees.

You've been very privileged. Most of the instruments you cite are pro-level basses that would do a player for a lifetime.

I'd stick some dots in front of myself and worry about making some music rather than fine tuning the instrument choice to the fine end of a fart. It doesn't matter in the end... hence the term 'instrument'. It's a conduit, not an end in itself...

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1350153009' post='1835288']
Because I want to hear myself and I cant rely on guitarists to sort their sound out.
[/quote]

Then you are playing with the wrong musicians. Ditch these losers and find some proper guitarists who know how to play in a band context.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1350134243' post='1834969']
Pretty sure they mostly make only 35" inches.
[/quote]
They do now. I have a Spector NS5CR which is 34", all maple construction, wider string spacing and a thicker neck than the post 2000 models and I'd be interested in selling it. Shipping would be a killer though.

IME cutting through the mix is a combination of tone woods on the bass, a quality amp and above all for front of house - a decent sound engineer. The first two on that list are in your control and perhaps the only reason to consider going for a custom bass is it's not just about the look of the instrument but what it's made from and what pickups and pre-amp you have onboard. Obviously this topic had been covered ad nauseum on BC but very simply put a classic and guaranteed recipe for a punchy tone is a maple neck, maple fingerboard, ash body - bolt on - with a poky pre installed and a couple of kick ass pups, get those basics right - wrapped up with a neck that plays beautifully and a comfortable body shape and you have a bass that can should be able to do anything.

Personally my three custom basses do so much between them that I know I can get pretty much any tone I want, they all sound and play great and look lovely too... but they are just high spec tools to do a job and that's pretty much all I want to do now - make music. There are a few basses I would love to own and maybe I will own them one day - for now I'm not buying - just looking :)

[quote]
Things I KNOW I WANT in a bass.[list]
[*]Cutting Tone/distinct growl
[*]34" scale
[*]Slightly oddball, but not too much!
[*]Generally like Maple or ebony fingerboards
[*]I like predominantly all maple basses
[*]Really low EFFORTLESS/Lazy action
[/list]
[/quote]
Shame you don't like Warwicks as I'd have thought a Streamer Stage 1 would tick those boxes.

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1350157913' post='1835363']
IME cutting through the mix is a combination of tone woods on the bass, a quality amp and above all for front of house - a decent sound engineer. The first two on that list are in your control and perhaps the only reason to consider going for a custom bass is it's not just about the look of the instrument but what it's made from and what pickups and pre-amp you have onboard. Obviously this topic had been covered ad nauseum on BC but very simply put a classic and guaranteed recipe for a punchy tone is a maple neck, maple fingerboard, ash body - bolt on - with a poky pre installed and a couple of kick ass pups, get those basics right - wrapped up with a neck that plays beautifully and a comfortable body shape and you have a bass that can should be able to do anything.

Personally my three custom basses do so much between them that I know I can get pretty much any tone I want, they all sound and play great and look lovely too... but they are just high spec tools to do a job and that's pretty much all I want to do now - make music. There are a few basses I would love to own and maybe I will own them one day - for now I'm not buying - just looking :)
[/quote]

Thats a very informative post thankyou!

Why would a mixture of Ash and Maple be brighter/cutting more so then maple/maple?

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1350158315' post='1835368']
Shame you don't like Warwicks as I'd have thought a Streamer Stage 1 would tick those boxes.
[/quote]

I have tried, I love what other people can do with them, they just don't sound right when I play them!

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1350159923' post='1835395']

Thats a very informative post thankyou!

Why would a mixture of Ash and Maple be brighter/cutting more so then maple/maple
[/quote]

From thr sound of my own basses the ash gives the tone clarity the maple warmth and punch - but I'm sure maple and maple would do the job as well - best thing to do is consult a luthier about the best way to achieve the sound you want - it really helps if you have a half decent about this before you go down the custom route - otherwise it's not really worth going down

M

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1350138967' post='1835051']
You can make almost any bass sound like almost any bass anyway, the importance of the inherent tone of a bass is largely complete bollocks. Feel and looks are another matter, and they are very important.
[/quote]

Couldn't agree with this more!

[quote name='urb' timestamp='1350157913' post='1835363'] but very simply put a classic and guaranteed recipe for a punchy tone is a maple neck, maple fingerboard, ash body - bolt on - with a poky pre installed and a couple of kick ass pups, get those basics right - wrapped up with a neck that plays beautifully and a comfortable body shape and you have a bass that can should be able to do anything.

[/quote]

hmmmm

to the OP ....

go find a good two year fixed rate ISA - stick your money in there.
Take £300 or so and buy that Peavey T40 in the sale pages. If you find a blade pup one all the better.

Play it exclusively for the next two years...