Why become a member? ×

selling a bass

vintage

Loads of basses are sold on this site (I am up to 7 pages of feedback which tells you how many I have bought/sold). To be blunt, if your basses aren't selling, you have either mis-priced or are not trying hard enough! I haven't seen your ads (I'm not in the market right now) but good quality pics help as do sound clips if you can generate them. Also being flexible (offering trade options, p/x, staggered payments etc) Best of luck

Well since you asked the question:

I looked at your topics and apart from the use of bad photos, your asking prices are too high (IMO). Whether you like it or not, Basschatters are used to lower prices than shops or eBay. Probably because people that sell things on here don't have to pay to advertise or don't incur any rubbings costs in holding the instrument.

A bit more blurb could also help. Specs, history, reason for selling etc. Also get in the habit of bumping your ad every few days so it gets to the top of sale forum. People don't necessarily actively look for Rickys or Spectors; they'll just chance upon your ad and go "ooh, that's a lovely bass at a good price. Why not?" and then get in touch with you.

Also, why not try building a bit of a profile here? Join in some debates or lend your experience to other members on the forum. You haven't even bothered to include a profile picture or avatar. I wouldnt trade with you if I've got no idea of who you are. It's silly, but you sort of get a sense of what someone is like through their avatar, and if you haven't got one... We'll just assume that there is just nothing about you and that you're not a friendly sort of person!

Hope you sell your stuff eventually, good luck!

Alex

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1349882283' post='1831756']
Loads of basses are sold on this site (I am up to 7 pages of feedback which tells you how many I have bought/sold). To be blunt, if your basses aren't selling, you have either mis-priced or are not trying hard enough! I haven't seen your ads (I'm not in the market right now) but good quality pics help as do sound clips if you can generate them. Also being flexible (offering trade options, p/x, staggered payments etc) Best of luck
[/quote]

I do not understand how to flexible helps if people do not even respond. But thanks for your input.

I've never sold a bass on Basschat. Then again, I've never tried :-) I have bought one though. Things I'd look for when buying are -

- The right bass for me at a fair price (obviously)
- Having some confidence in the seller. Do they have feedback, or if new, have they gone to the trouble of introducing themselves to the forum/posting in the other forums
- detailed info in the ad, including plenty of pics and descriptions. Where do they live, can I try the bass out, will they deliver etc.

It's a buyers market at the moment, so the seller needs to pull out all the stops. Half hearted sales usually end up being a waste of tim

:-)

I've bought lots of basses on here, and sold lots of basses on here.

Follow the advice in Clarky's post and you won't go far wrong.

And get some decent photos. Your ad for the Ric 4001 has one pretty poor quality photo. Bluntly, people are not going to spend well over a grand on the basis of one blury pic.

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1349883637' post='1831784']
+1 to that :)

Every instrument , amp & cab that I own was bought through bass chat !
[/quote]Ditto. :) but ur new avatar is rubbish compared with mine!

Edited by phsycoandy

I did sell one on here a few years ago, pre EB stingray that had seen a hard life and I'd spent too much trying to restore. I made a serious loss but it wasn't getting played. Sale went smoothly from what I recall. Rather poorer experience when I tried to sell a bog standard Squier precision at a knock down price a few weeks ago. Lots more tyre-kicking kids and 'can you wait until the end of the month' stuff. I can understand this for top end instruments but for a <£150 bass? Stuck it on ebay in the end, sold immediately to a thoroughly nice bloke who collected it and paid cash. I think the market is quite genuinely slow for standard stuff and the economical climate hardly helps.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1349884876' post='1831817']
Rather poorer experience when I tried to sell a bog standard Squier precision at a knock down price a few weeks ago.
[/quote]

Agreed, the Kramer I'm selling right now is a non-mover, although I have successfully and quickly sold others... Guess a place like BC isn't where you find too many people looking for entry level though.

I can relate to high end gear not selling but money is tight at the moment so sales, especially of gear at £1K+, are taking longer...I've not seen your ad but Ricks are a bit "Marmite" - not everybody's cappuccino - if you're selling some top end gear shouldn't your photos reflect this? Crappy pics are likely to generate a crap response..

Even if you are getting posts stating nothing more than "nice bass" at least the ad is getting "bumped" which pushes it back up to the top and into view again - how is that a bad thing??

Remember, most people are after a bargain - if you really want rid and can afford to let it go a bit cheaper then do that. If not, accept it's going to take a while to sell or hang on to the bass till the financial situation changes..the last thing you want to do is sell it at a low price when you could have got a better price by waiting a few months..

A subtle way of bringing attention to the adds would have been to attached a link..

I think most people who have tried to sell gear through this forum can empathise with your situation..

best of luck with your sales

I've found patience is a virtue. Its a bit of a tall order to hope that at the particular time you want to sell a particular item someone just happens to be looking for that, like the price and location and happen also to be on this forum.

Took me months to swap a American Jazz Deluxe for a Stingray. Gave up, tried to sell, gave up again etc before someone offered the originally desired swap, we are both delighted!

I still have my Hartke HA5000 for grabs, been months too!

1. Get your ad sorted, look to provide as many photos and as much information as you'd like to see before buying a bass you've never played from someone you don't know (i.e. lots!)
2. Change your signature to include a link to your for sale post:

e.g.
[url="http://media.freehostingnoads.net/"]http://media.freehostingnoads.net/[/url]
[b][color=#ff0000]FOR SALE: One of a Kind Rickenbacker - Made in Japan [u]CLICK HERE[/u][/color] - not a real ad John :)[/b]

And then get involved around here, because every time you post, even a simple smiley to laugh at someones bad jokes etc. new people will see your for sale post. Even better is posting in a topic related to your ad e.g. Help my "Rickenbacker is not working", "I just can't get THAT sound with my Jazz bass (yeah right)" you know the sort of thing...

Oh, and don't forget to bump your ad every couple of days.

Sold/bought a fair few on here. My tips would be:

Good pics
Good description, including both link to manufacturers website to show detailed specs, and listing any faults/blemishes/buckle-rash etc
Include a link to independent user reviews - Harmony Central being very good
Research the item you`re selling, and price accordingly. If the item you are selling regularly goes for £800, no point in pricing it at £1100 for example
Get an accurate weight of the actual instrument for sale
Look into shipping, and factor this into the cost, therefore widening your market

Finally, good luck.

Why does no one on here buy anything?

Have we not had this topic before............ :D :D

To the OP. It seems to me that the basses that sell quickly are keenly priced, photographed well and have lots of detail. I am not knocking your for sale posts as I have not seen them. What you have to remember is it is a bit of a buyers market at the moment and you have to put in a bit of effort to get the sale. Personally I would advertise on here and say Gumtree but I usually put it a bit cheaper on here.

And yes, I have bought and sold many times on here.

Bought and sold basses and amps and pedals etc , etc .
Selling on Basschat is different to eBay , most people know their onions on this forum so poorly photographed / poorly described / poorly priced items don't tend to sell too quickly. My main bugbear is when no personal information is provided in the personal profile which starts the alarm bells ringing .
There is nothing wrong with selling to Europe , sold loads of high end guitars / basses to France / Spain / Italy / Germany .

More effort in your ad = better results .
Bit like everything else in life .

Basschat is a great community of experienced players, so you won't get the price you could get in a shop here.
If a bass is a real bargain it will be sold in minutes (it happened many times). Check the other ads to compare prices, we all do that buyers and sellers :)