Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

4x10, which one?

sshorepunk

I don't know much about 4x10s as I've never owned one BUT a venue I regularly play at has swopped their standard ashdown mag 4x10 for a brand new ampeg [color=#000000][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SVT-410HE[/font][/color] and even though they are using the same ashdown amp the sound has improved by 100%.

This is it [url="http://www.ampeg.com/products/classic/svt410he/"]http://www.ampeg.com...assic/svt410he/[/url]

Edited by gjones

I know the Ampeg 410 HLF and it is decent. Weighty but has tilt back and wheels which make it more sensible.
I think the DB210 pr is better and tighter..plus has a vintage vibe and the advantage of a decent carry.

You might not like the mini stack idea for visual stages tho... but maybe a 212 and a 210 would stack pretty nicely
if you could get past the imbalance of the 350w 210 and 600w 212..?

[quote name='longtimefred' timestamp='1349696009' post='1829133']
Dude! i swapped from an SVT 410HLF to the Matamp cab i had off you and the Matamp is miles better in every deptartment.
[/quote]

Yes, it is for sure, but I decided to go a different route, 6x10 and maybe it wasnt such a good idea for a number of reasons!

Tony

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1349641917' post='1828686']
Watching the speakers in my Markbass cab jump all over the place confirms that they have CRAZY excursion! I don't have a clue whether it makes them louder, but it's reassuring to know that they're able to move that much more as they're so much less likely to get damaged... Never heard of one blowing!
[/quote]

I noticed that today on my cab. It`s almost like they`re trying to jump out.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1349720050' post='1829623']
I noticed that today on my cab. It`s almost like they`re trying to jump out.
[/quote]
I get it with my 210 markbass cab, they do go mental! But it seems happy doing that and it makes the fretless growl like nothing else!

Dan

Is it my imagination but didn't you used to have EBS gear Tony? Why not go back to a Proline 410 or a Neo 410?

I've just returned to a single EBS Proline 410 after a couple of years away and to be honest, I couldn't be happier at the moment. I know it's as heavy as a heavy thing with an elephant sitting on top but maaaannnn, it's fantastic having that presence and volume again. A set of detatchable castors on the bottom has all but sorted the weight concerns I had.

Alternatively, I'd +1 on the Ampeg 410HLF. Had one of these and it was a fantastic single solution, a real massive sound and looked the part. Big and heavy but the grab handle and tilt back castors made it easy to move around.

Tony

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1349776983' post='1830265']
Is it my imagination but didn't you used to have EBS gear Tony? Why not go back to a Proline 410 or a Neo 410?

I've just returned to a single EBS Proline 410 after a couple of years away and to be honest, I couldn't be happier at the moment. I know it's as heavy as a heavy thing with an elephant sitting on top but maaaannnn, it's fantastic having that presence and volume again. A set of detatchable castors on the bottom has all but sorted the weight concerns I had.

Alternatively, I'd +1 on the Ampeg 410HLF. Had one of these and it was a fantastic single solution, a real massive sound and looked the part. Big and heavy but the grab handle and tilt back castors made it easy to move around.

Tony
[/quote]

In a shameless plug, I have a Proline 4x10 for sale....

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from a few weeks wandering round various South American countries, now need a cab, or two

Aguilar DB410 looks favourite, guitar guitar have them at £799 in black, a funky white cabs on eBay, what is it with the different colours?
I'm a traditionalist so it will need to be black, could be tempted with the 2 2x12's for sale on here right now if they were black
If anyone has a DB 410 for sale let me know!

T

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1349773992' post='1830209']
Vertically stacking two 2x10s is also a good option! Ive only tried it with Markbass (amazing, highly recommended) and Ashdown MAG ones (pretty underwhelmed with the low end response on those) so you'll have to test out different ones yourself if possible.
[/quote]

Works for me with a pair of Warwick Pro211. Just take the one 211 to practices and small gigs.

[quote name='sshorepunk' timestamp='1351267177' post='1849523']
Just been offered an insane deal on 2 DB410's!
One shop gave me £999, the saw £963 online

Then got offered 2 for £1350! That sounds like a good deal to me!

Tony
[/quote]

Where did you get that deal from?...Me wants too!