Why become a member? ×

Upgrading my P-Bass

nomis

Ok i am quite new to modifying upgrading basses etc...

Im looking to give my MIM 50's fiesta red p-Bass a bit of an upgrade.

I am thinking about installing a badass bridge as i hear it will give you a bit more sustain? (thoughts?)

I also would quite like to stick some new pickups in it.

I have been looking at some of the seymour duncan and bare knuckle pickups.

Im looking for something thats punchy with nice mids and fat low end (but not too expensive!)

is there anything that i should be looking at or has anyone had experience with the other brands i have mentioned?

Cheers!

Can definitely recommend Bare Knuckles for guitars but never tried on bass.

Fwiw my CIT '62 RI P-bass has the usual wimpy Fender bridge but has bags of sustain - probably more to for with the timber used?

Edited by JapanAxe

Wizard Thumpers are really good pickups in a P and are not stupid money. [url="http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/moreinfo.asp?id=41"]http://www.wizardpickups.co.uk/moreinfo.asp?id=41[/url]

I have a Badass II on my backup. I did swap it with the BBOT on my main P and back to compare once. It made zero difference to my ears. They do look nice though.

I'm a fan of Wizards - I've put a Thumper in a few basses now, I like the sound. As far as bridges go, my favourite is the Schaller 3D, which allows side-to-side string adjustment to line up with pole pieces, etc, but the main reason I like it is it's comfier for my hand to rest on. As far as sustain goes, never noticed any real difference, and I've replaced a lot of BBOT bridges. I'd say the Badass is currently very expensive for what it is.

The time and money you're going to spend on, as Machines says "is likely an expensive and fruitless task", why not think about selling what you've got and putting that and the money you would have spent on a new bass??? New gear always inspires me and gives me a kick up the RRRRs to play...

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1349344363' post='1824908']

The time and money you're going to spend on, as Machines says "is likely an expensive and fruitless task", why not think about selling what you've got and putting that and the money you would have spent on a new bass??? New gear always inspires me and gives me a kick up the RRRRs to play...
[/quote]

I appreciate that, Im not tired of playing that particular bass, i love it! I have a MM stingray which i have had for years but i aquired this one last year and it feels great plays really nicely! Infact im using it as my main bass!

I just sometimes find it could use a little more low end and mid range.

Re the baddass. I put one on a 60`s reissue jazz and I noticed no differance whatsoever. They can look cool but unless it was standard on the bass I wouldn`t bother. I would be more inclined to spend the money on a decent pickup although I have read nothing but glowing reports of these P basses. But if you fancy a change, go for it.

I'm a big fan of the BBOT bridge. It does everything it needs to do without any shortcomings that I have ever noticed. If your 50s P has the original bridge it should have the old-style grooved saddles so you can alter the string spacing to some extent if you need to.
I too have been down the badass route and ended up disappointed so I went back to the 'inferior' BBOT. The Badass didn't offer any noticably improved tone and I couldn't set the action low enough.
As for replacement pickups, if you do want to upgrade I like DiMarzios - not sure of the model name but it has the adjustable hex shaped pole pieces.

+1 For the Badass comments. Save your money!
I had one, IMO I paid the best part of £70 for a name, I sold it earlier this year and replaced it with
an unbranded Hi mass Gotoh 201 wannabe, which for the princely sum of £15 was an absolute bargain.
Still got a BBOT on my VM Precision and I'm not in any hurry to replace it.

It's worth considering if the money your planning on spending to upgrade your MIM P bass might be better spent on a better quality U.S.A Fender instead. If you consider what you could get for your bass as it is now if you sold it and put the upgrade money to that sum, think about what you could buy for that . It's always a questionable course of action to spend a lot of money on upgrading a relatively inexpensive instrument ; if you're not careful you can end up with what is in actuallity still a cheap bass with lots of expensive parts on it which don't in themselves remedy your initial dissatisfaction with it.

If you are determined to go the upgrade route on this bass , then my advice is keep it simple and relatively inexpensive. I actually do think a Baddass is a worthwhile upgrade on a Fender bass. It's not just a question of sustain; I find a Badass adds definition to the overall sound of the bass and clarity to the notes on the D and G strings, particulaly as you move higher up the fretboard. The problem with the Badass is it's a fiddly job to get it filed , installed and adjusted properly and really needs to be done by someone who really knows what they are doing ( i.e a luthier familiar with this bridge) to get it to perform at an optimum level. One of the other cheaper and more straightforward aftermarket bridges is probably a much better option on your bass and will sound just as good. The problem with the bbot bridge is the saddles can tend to move around on the baseplate, which messes with the intonation. As for pickups, the Duncan and Dimarzio ones already mentioned are favorites of mine, along with the Lakland/Hanson Neo Punch. When it come to Precision pickups , I would always tend to favour brute power over subtlty.

Edited by Dingus

I used to have a P copy, very playable but very heavy so in the end I passed it on to a family member who was learning bass at the time. It originally had the typical Fender type bridge and I replaced it with a badass II. On a completely passive bass I can't say i heard a deal of difference in tone or sustain. I currently have a US P deluxe that is active and I have no plans to change the bridge on that. I do have a passive US jazz and when i swapped that bridge out for a badass III I think it maybe improved the tone/susteain a little. In short for the money I wouldn't bother unless the bridge on your MIM P bass is really causing concern in terms of adjustability or wear. In the limited amount of upgrading I've done my conclusions are that the biggest difference in overrall tone is by changing th epickups and that shouldn't come as much of a surprise to anyone. My first ever bass was a cheap Columbus jazz copy. The neck wasn't great so I swapped it for a Mighty Might neck and I ended up with a bass that was very playable but sounded thin and weedy. Swapped the pickups to standard US Fender ones and it was a different bass entirely.

thanks for the advice chaps.

Dont think i will upgrade the bridge.

Still considering a new pickup maybe as i do love this bass. But like it has been said, it is a cheap bass so maybe buying the most expensive stuff isnt a great idea! Afterall, you can't polish a turd!

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1349368002' post='1825398']
The neck wasn't great so I swapped it for a Mighty Might neck and I ended up with a bass that was very playable but sounded thin and weedy. Swapped the pickups to standard US Fender ones and it was a different bass entirely.
[/quote]

A Trigger's Broom :)

[quote name='nomis' timestamp='1349368288' post='1825404']
thanks for the advice chaps.

Dont think i will upgrade the bridge.

Still considering a new pickup maybe as i do love this bass. But like it has been said, it is a cheap bass so maybe buying the most expensive stuff isnt a great idea! Afterall, you can't polish a turd!
[/quote]

A MIM Precision is hardly a turd though!

Worth the polish of a nice set of strings and a set-up. And maybe try a Wizard Thumper or SD if a bargain comes your way.