Why become a member? ×

He's been inspired by Warwick

basslowdown

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/P-bass-by-Kay-Guitars-MIJ-and-believed-to-be-1968-/190730721369?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2c686fd859&_uhb=1#ht_596wt_1220"]http://www.ebay.co.u...1#ht_596wt_1220[/url]

Can only think he's been inspired by Warwick angling the heads back!!!

Taken to new levels of course and it's good to know that the age old art of 'honing' jack sockets is still alive and well.

Alas, no pictures of Mr Phillips or his bright red van this time!!!

Dear Lord...... he makes a point of how vintage it is ( 1968) then sticks on brand new elephant ears tuners and one at a jaunty angle to boot. I bet he was hacked off to find they would'nt all fit in a line so "trusting to his own beliefs and instincts" he bodged a fix.
The only surprise, given his total lack of awareness around what he does and says about the instruments he " works" on, is that he didn't boast about the naffness of it!
P.S. The usual spurious guff about tone and action are omniprescent!

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1348869774' post='1819465']I bet he was hacked off to find they would'nt all fit in a line so "trusting to his own beliefs and instincts" he bodged a fix.[/quote]
It's not that the tuners wouldn't all have fitted in line, it's that the edge of the baseplate would have gone beyond the edge of the headstock, leaving the fixing hole on the very edge of the wood, if not over the edge. It's the classic mistake.

Edited by noelk27

[quote name='noelk27' timestamp='1348944044' post='1820055']
It's not that the tuners wouldn't all have fitted in line, it's that the edge of the baseplate would have gone beyond the edge of the headstock, leaving the fixing hole on the very edge of the wood, if not over the edge. It's the classic mistake.
[/quote]
The bottom line is he used too large a footprint tuners on his "vintage bass" and consequently had to spin one around. This has, to use his own title " improved it". Still don't understand how he "honed" the jack socket, surely that would make it larger?

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1348878837' post='1819516']
I am now convinced that this poor man is mentally ill. If there are any doctors on here can someone please assist him in finding the help he needs.
[/quote]

Ive resisted the temptation to comment on the various threads dedicated to this legend but Im actually inclined to agree with you. There is definatley something up with him! Hes definatley a fantasist who is in his own little delusioned world. He is at once entertainment, a disgrace and pathetic.

A

What a fkn mess that neck is and I'm convinced I see the work of Nitro-mors. He has clearly not reshaped the neck nor sanded it as there seems to be an unintentional V-profile to it. And as for the thumb-rest placement........

I love spotting his stuff, either on here or ebay.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]"I wonder if it might have had a re fret somewhere down the decades as the quality of the fret wires is just so perfect"[/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]More likely that it was (and still is) an unplayable piece of crap - so one one did. [/size][/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]Gotta love the break angle created by the string retainer.... :wacko: [/size][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][size=3]I'm torn... I love the entertainment this guy provides... but it's a shame that innocent buyers can't be protected from such bollocks.[/size][/font]

[quote name='DarkHeart' timestamp='1349212939' post='1823512']
maybe if he had used the correct handed tuners he wouldnt have had that problem,
[/quote]

Ha ha. You can see the vacant holes. "Doh! bought the wrong ones. Ah well, I'll just fit them the other way round, no one will notice ........pause...................Doh!"

Edited by V4lve

• 2 weeks later...

Jesus wept!
[quote]
Dear mdphillips1956,

Is there a specific reason why you tried to get left handed tuners to fit this bass or did you just fail to realise there was a difference when you bought them?

- jean-luc-pickguard
[/quote]

[quote]
Dear jean-luc-pickguard,

Hi Jean,
That is really astute to spot that; no they were bought from Ireland and maybe they don't differentiate there! Mind you all four go the same way so it quickly feels natural that way, which is much better than most double sided guitars that have two going one way and two the other.
Thanks,
Mark..............

- mdphillips1956
[/quote]