Why become a member? ×

OMFG!! I want that bass!!

xilddx

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1348659501' post='1816512']
For the relatively unitiated what does this set up do that isn't possible with a midi pickup on a regular bass then routed through whatever midi devices one wanted or could afford?
[/quote]

Possibly, and depending on how much time you want to spend refining your playing technique to cope with all the idiosyncrasies of pitch to MIDI conversion. Most people are far better off buying a decent programmable synth and learning some rudimentary keyboard skills. It's quicker easier, and the results are more accurate and more easily repeatable.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1348659501' post='1816512']For the relatively unitiated what does this set up do that isn't possible with a midi pickup on a regular bass then routed through whatever midi devices one wanted or could afford?[/quote]

It would be hard to do what he's doing without that touchpad. Just consider how you'd do that with a combination of a regular bass and foot pedals. That feel would be difficult to achieve.

I know he had a twin neck thing going on there, but isn't this a synth, of interest because its been made in the shape of a guitar? There's been plenty of those in the past, just this one has the ipad screen instead of a keyboard. Probably has its advantages but just lose that part of the novelty and play a synth if you want those sorts of sounds and emulations.

It was played by the bass player playing bass parts but then so did Stevie Wonder. Why is it considered a bass?

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1348663105' post='1816598']
I know he had a twin neck thing going on there, but isn't this a synth, of interest because its been made in the shape of a guitar? There's been plenty of those in the past, just this one has the ipad screen instead of a keyboard. Probably has its advantages but just lose that part of the novelty and play a synth if you want those sorts of sounds and emulations.

It was played by the bass player playing bass parts but then so did Stevie Wonder. Why is it considered a bass?
[/quote]

Without knowing all the details of the gear being used it's very difficult to say. What you are seeing in the video is a Misa Kitara built into a custom Status bass. What it's actually doing probably only Muse and their techs actually know. The device has built-in sounds but it also acts as a MIDI controller so just about anything could be producing the actual sounds being heard. Of course there is also the possibility that it's all just for show and the bass line in the first half of the song is just being run from a sequencer or audio backing track. Even with the extra guitarist lurking at the back of the stage there seems to be slightly more going on than what you can see being played.

And bass just means low notes. It doesn't matter what produces them.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1348677681' post='1816856']
Never mind the bass gimmickery, what a bloody awful tone for the lead guitar break...
[/quote]yeah- didn't quite fit in did it.
Loved the song though - though if you told me it was from a Eno produced U2 album from between Achtung Baby and Pop I would have beleived you!

Wow! A Korg Precision Kaossilator! Must own!

I like this concept, if I do get it right that is. Freeing up his right hand for bending and effects, is a welcome feature in my book.

Me, I stick my (Kaossilator and) Kaoss Pad on my keyboard or bass with Velcron, and have to move at least one hand from the instrument to use the Korgs.

So to me, the Misa-type system seems like a real nice addition to the instrument family.

best,
bert

[quote name='Kevo' timestamp='1348693199' post='1817117']
:blink: Just call me a ludite!
[/quote]

To me music is music. The more I do it the less I give a sh*t about how I make it. I play a few instruments, but all I care about is the song. I just make music, and that's all that's important.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1348694018' post='1817132']
To me music is music. The more I do it the less I give a sh*t about how I make it. I play a few instruments, but all I care about is the song. I just make music, and that's all that's important.
[/quote]

Go away. You're simply too wise for these fora.
Do not answer. Go away!
:P ;)

best,
bert

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1348694018' post='1817132']
[/quote]

Totally man.... people worry too much :unsure:

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1348695533' post='1817175']
I think I have evolved over the years and I won't let an instrument be a f***ing comfort blanket.
[/quote]

But how cool would that be?? You could be all warm and cosy while jamming away :D

But no I get what you mean man... When I was a teenager I was part of the anti-plectrum brigade, but have since realised how silly it all is

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1348695872' post='1817178']
But how cool would that be?? You could be all warm and cosy while jamming away :D
[/quote]
You mean get a bass with a burl ives top and loads of laminates and drool on it and suck on it all day and night instead of treating as your music slave :D

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1348696205' post='1817192']
You mean get a bass with a burl ives top and loads of laminates and drool on it and suck on it all day and night instead of treating as your music slave :D
[/quote]

Hahaha :D

One reason I love playing my Peaveys... Not only do they work for me on so many levels, but I don't have to worry about getting a few battle scars ;)

.... I was playing it with my fist at last night's gig!

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1348696362' post='1817194']
Hahaha :D

One reason I love playing my Peaveys... Not only do they work for me on so many levels, but I don't have to worry about getting a few battle scars ;)

.... I was playing it with my fist at last night's gig!
[/quote]
Exactly! They are nothing but tools. I got a chrome one so I could look at the reflection of a tool every time I strapped it on. Also, being a proper Warwick Streamer and therefore convex, I let everyone look into it so they can see themselves as Pete Townsend.