Why become a member? ×

How has your day been as a bassist?

charliethornton

Had a pretty good bassist day. Worked until lunch and by the time I'd got home the Mrs and the kids had already gone out, and with me being injured meant no rugby for me today so I had all afternoon to noodle and work on some bass lines for a album one of my mates is working on. Sounding good so far. Spent early evening mooching eBay for a cheap (ish) fretless that I'm looking to purchase. Might even plug the headphones in and have a noodle later on

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well today I had to run a bass and general music workshop in a school to years 7 and 8, think I managed to inspire some young minds where music is concerned! Specifically bass! Even had one of the little guys tell their teacher they wanted me to do the workshops every week! Shame I can't right now, was great fun!

Cr@ppy. withan ongoing lower back problem. It did end better with a good r/h & chinwag though.

Slight change in tje style of the set and I have been trying to get back into fingers instead of pick for a lot of the new ones. Just need to work it up and around the arthritic twisted digits.

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1366186869' post='2049251']
we're going on tour for a week in Brazil [/quote]
Yay!

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1366186869' post='2049251']
one of our songs being on an advert for handbags. :) [/quote]
Link?

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1368130815' post='2073705']
Nothing like what we do now, this was a track Maz wrote before she got the band together, grew up a bit and got into electro-gypsy-dixieland-funk.
But it is getting us a free holiday to Brazil.
[/quote]

Enjoy your trip!

Still getting gyp from my back, but a gig tonight. Adrenaline helps, but I shall know about it in the morning :(

Gig at a new venue and with a smaller PA (HURRAH!) as the sound guy was running sound elsewhere tonight and put together a desk, couple of small bins & top boxes to get us by. Went much better as a result with the light & shade from band members not someone on the faders ... which IMO was nice :blush: Gig went well. Not hugely well attended, but those there seemed to enjoy the newly revised old covers and the venue were happy and asking us to ring for followups. HURRAH x2

• 4 weeks later...

Resurrecting this thread this thread, it's been a day of changes.

Last night I had a run through the 30+ songs I have learnt up for a dep coming up with a funky function band. Went having been through the songs and written out notes to varying degrees - some just a scribble of the basic chord pattern, or even just the first note / key, and others where I had scored out at least the main verse & chorus riffs and a rough map of the song. I know/knew I should have done a bit more, but it's not a style I normally play (that being classic rock & prog) and for some of the songs it's really just a two bar riff ad nauseam and more down to groove & feel, so for learning them it was a bit boring at times. Had a DropBox full of live versions of the songs as they do them, but in some instances I had not listened all the way through (I KNOW!) so there was the outside chance I had missed a change.

I played with the keys player years ago, and the drummer is in my classic rock band who I have played with since we were 17, so as a unit we are generally pretty tight.

Anyway, went along last night and, bar a couple of songs I knew I had to work more on and going back over a couple of bits, we played through the whole of both sets and it went pretty well. All seemed happy enough.

Cut to this morning & the drummer copied a note he'd had from the keys:
[quote]Hi Kev, great rehearsal last night and it was so nice to play with Al again. If he hadn't put in much work I'd like to see him when he has! Great choice and good on you for suggesting him[/quote]
Nice to know & gave me a bit of a boost having been to the GP's this morning about the shoulder that has been giving me gyp recently (not helped by lugging the Wal for 3-2 hours last night) and my lower back pain that the physio has not sorted and which has been grumbling on for a month & a half now.

NIce story Al, thanks for sharing.

Meanwhile, my week as a bassist hasn't been that great.
Drummer (for both bands) is ill and we had to rehearse without him. This could have been my opportunity to shine as both time keeper and melodic player.

However I failed to rise to the occasion and played like a chump. :(

Or indeed a chimp. (Select the most incompetent creature of your choice).

Just need to work through this bad patch and keep on goin'. :mellow:

good day. Got a trio going with a couple of colleagues (me, 1 guitar, 1 singer), only third time we've really got together, the previous two were a bit tentative. Guitarist brought in a PA he got a steal on from ebay so we set up on the empty mezzanine at work after hours. Sounds good.

Could do with some drums (have a couple of backing tracks) but otherwise we held it together reasonbly. 4 songs we can pretty much do, an ever increasing list of stuff we would like to do. Singer left first so we just jammed for a bit. Look forward to the next one.

• 2 weeks later...

At last I feel I've got my mojo back! After three weeks of struggling along not being able to get anything right, we had a pretty good rehearsal tonight. I felt a bit more like a bass player and a bit less like a gormless chump.

We had a go at She Sells Sanctuary and it sounded pretty good. Looking forward to the next rehearsal now! :D

My day yesterday was an interesting one. Had the day off, so a little bass playing in the morning that I enjoyed, then band practice was in the evening from 8-11. We normally only have a 2 hr sesh, but the rooms was offering an extra hour for £1.

I'd sent a couple of song ideas to the band for them to work on & had suggested we us some of the time to discuss things & work on writing a song (maybe a get a 2nd started too).
I'd also suggested we play a couple of jam songs to get us warmed up, that was a bad idea!
The one thing I asked for from the start when forming the band is that we're not a rock/indie band. I want to do something different & asked for musicians that also want to do something different.
So lst night started with Come Together, which was ok. A bit rockier than usual.
Then we did Crazy (the Gnarles Barkley version) & it sounded like a punk version.
Then proceeded to play a handful of other songs & they all rocked (despite me trying to put as funky a bassline as I could).
After an hour & a half if this crap one of the guitarists turns round & says "I don't think I can do this much longer, I might go home at 10:30".
So I suggested we work on one of the song ideas that I'd sent. That went as well as a train crash! None of them knew the chords, the melody or the rhythm of the song & they just played standard rock versions of the chords with plenty of distortion on everything. :(
We lasted 5 mins doing that & then it was back to playing melancholy guff.

I'm gonna suggest we write the songs at home via web with one another & if that doesn't work, then I'm gonna leave the band that I've started.

So my day as a bassist started good & turned crap. :(
I wa really looking forward to getting writing too.