Why become a member? ×

'66 'Slab' Precision Build

Rick's Fine '52

Hi Rick,

What can I say? Brilliant doesn't really cover it - if it sounds anything like it looks it'll be just great. For My money you made absolutely the right choice with the Rotasounds - you can't whack 'em. This is an instrument that is meant to give off pure unadulterated raunch - the vulgar (I use the word advisedly) uncultured tones are the perfect 'bottom end' for any rock band on the planet, in my humble opinion.

As you know I recently stripped one down to the pick-ups for the first time since I bought it 35 years ago, and there was a bit of a disintegrated mess where somebody had put some pink foam rubber under the pick-ups. Under one pick-up there was still what was left of the original black foam, which I assume was fitted in the Fender factory. My question to you is - what kind of foam did you use under the pick-ups, as I really need to replace it?

[quote name='SlabMan' timestamp='1355487719' post='1899016']
Hi Rick,

What can I say? Brilliant doesn't really cover it - if it sounds anything like it looks it'll be just great. For My money you made absolutely the right choice with the Rotasounds - you can't whack 'em. This is an instrument that is meant to give off pure unadulterated raunch - the vulgar (I use the word advisedly) uncultured tones are the perfect 'bottom end' for any rock band on the planet, in my humble opinion.

As you know I recently stripped one down to the pick-ups for the first time since I bought it 35 years ago, and there was a bit of a disintegrated mess where somebody had put some pink foam rubber under the pick-ups. Under one pick-up there was still what was left of the original black foam, which I assume was fitted in the Fender factory. My question to you is - what kind of foam did you use under the pick-ups, as I really need to replace it?
[/quote]

Thanks for the comments Wally. I used late 60's grey bottomed pickups, and they came with the original brass ground plate, and the rubber, albeit sticky, was pretty intact, although hardened somewhat, so I just used that, and I'm hoping when it's soldered up, it will sound as it should.

You can get reissue foam pads, like the one here. You can get them on there own, without the brass plates, which would only cost a few quid. I'll try and PM you a link. I may even have some, I'll have a look over the weekend, and if I find them, I'll send you them.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1355524605' post='1899722']
how have you not soldered it together yet? I no way have that patience! I wee build I'm doing the only way I knew that I would let the finsih cure for long enough was leaving it a week before ordering the parts! :D
[/quote]

Good things come to those who wait!! :P

I have two weeks off at xmas, starting next Thursday, so will have a look then, I still need to locate a good picture of what wires go where, it's been a while!

Been playing it unplugged today, it's awesome!

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1355525586' post='1899729']
Good things come to those who wait!! :P

I have two weeks off at xmas, starting next Thursday, so will have a look then, I still need to locate a good picture of what wires go where, it's been a while!

Been playing it unplugged today, it's awesome!
[/quote]

It's a P bass! It's got one pickup with too two wires - ground to the body of the volume, then the live to the centre lug of the pot. Simple! My guess the vol and tone are already connected?

• 2 weeks later...

@Rick - is it fired up yet?

& - have you seen this? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slab66-Precision-Bass-/281042634686?_trksid=p2045573.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D555003%26algo%3DPW.CAT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33%26meid%3D4545094363388886081%26pid%3D100034%26prg%3D1031%26rk%3D1%26

Have a great 2013

John

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1356961879' post='1915630']
@Rick - is it fired up yet?

& - have you seen this? [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Slab66-Precision-Bass-/281042634686?_trksid=p2045573.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D555003%26algo%3DPW.CAT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33%26meid%3D4545094363388886081%26pid%3D100034%26prg%3D1031%26rk%3D1%26"]http://www.ebay.co.u...031%26rk%3D1%26[/url]

Have a great 2013

John
[/quote]

Thanks John. I did see the link, didnt excite me much, didnt look right all new, and the neck with the headstock adjustment spoiled it for me, but a nice cheapish bass for someone.

The slab project: Errr, well, err, no, not yet, in my defence, I have been busy, finally sorting out my 'Space for Bass'. I've been organising, decorating and hanging my basses. It's all done now though, so soldering the 'slab' is the next job, I'm itching to get it stoked up too, here's some pics of my progress this xmas holiday;

[b]'52, '56, '58, '60, '66 P's.[/b]

[b]Matched pair of 1st series JV basses, '58 Mandocaster, '59 4x10 Bassman, '52 TV Bassman (Tweed clock :rolleyes:);[/b]
[b][/b]

[b]Ricky 4005, Ricky-a-like-mani-a-like-copy-thingy, Takamine on stand, and '51 CS in tweed rack.[/b]
[b][/b]

There's a couple missing, but I'll find somewhere to put 'em.

Happy New Year to all the followers of this thread, and indeed basschat as a whole!!

My last post of 2012, gotta get ready for the gatecrashers (Friends that is, not the film!! :D )

Rick

• 4 weeks later...

Rick your collection looks just fantastic up on the wall!
I could look at those bass guitars all day :)

What a beautiful collection , much more fun that hanging a picture on the wall :)

I love the whole display but I particularly like the little extras , like the tweed guitar case stand?
The fender wall logo's and the '52 bass man amp ! That's my faviorate.

Is the tweed guitar case a vintage item or something that is currently on the Market ?

Thanks for sharing the pics Rick it is really appreciated as you don't get to see such great examples like this everyday. :)

Edited by Chris Horton

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1359273380' post='1952266']
Rick your collection looks just fantastic up on the wall!
I could look at those bass guitars all day :)

What a beautiful collection , much more fun that hanging a picture on the wall :)

I love the whole display but I particularly like the little extras , like the tweed guitar case stand?
The fender wall logo's and the '52 bass man amp ! That's my faviorate.

Is the tweed guitar case a vintage item or something that is currently on the Market ?

Thanks for sharing the pics Rick it is really appreciated as you don't get to see such great examples like this everyday. :)
[/quote]

Thanks for the comments Chris, appreciate that.

The tweed stand/case is still available. I think they started making them in the early 90's, they do a 3 or 7 guitar version. Also available in black tolex. I think GAK have some??

The wall signs are actually old plastic advertising boards, that sat on the front of cardboard guitar display stands in fender dealer's stores or on the fender stand at exhibitions, guitar shows. There's various different styles through the era's. These are from '61.

This is what the complete stand would look like;

Best, Rick