Why become a member? ×

Musical Adventures

xgsjx

I've been in a few different bands over the years (decades). I've played Rock, Metal, Punk, Country, Folk, Blues & loads of other stuff.

Now that my most recent band seems to be out of reach for me to remain a member of, I'm trying to start up a new band/project to play electronica/breakbeat/house/drum n' bass/dubstep etc.
A couple of days ago I put an advert on the company forum & also in the vending areas on my floor that just said "Musicians Wanted", what my plan is & how to get me.

So far 3 guitarists have been in touch! All nice guys that I know, but 2 of them I have no idea why???

One of them was in my team before moving to a different team. When he was in my team he said "I like all sorts of music except Drum n Bass, Dubstep & any of that electronic beepy stuff", the sort of stuff I'm wanting to do. So why the heck does he want to join this project? :lol:

The other is in a typical guitar baised rock band & has 2 effects pedals, an overdrive & a distortion.
He likes his Marshall rig set at 11. :unsure:
He said "I could just get a wah pedal & that'll cover the funk & soul sort of stuff". I don't think he gets it at all.

The other one I think he might be a good candidate though from the musical taste side. But I've no idea what his playing is like. So I'll give him an audition.

Just thought I'd share my musical adventures & I'll keep updating this to see if things go to plan.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1347655834' post='1803773']
I've been in a few different bands over the years (decades). I've played Rock, Metal, Punk, Country, Folk, Blues & loads of other stuff.[/quote]

For me one of THE best things about being a bassist is it's easier to move around and try new things. I'd hate to be a singer or lead guitarist who will always sound the same in any band. The bass really does offer us so much variety. Long may it continue.

Best of luck with the new project

I'm not a massive indie fan. In fact, I don't have a single CD in my collection which I would describe as indie however I still play in an indie band.
Would I listen to our songs in my own time if I wasn't in the band? In all honesty, probably not but it gets me out gigging and playing with other musicians and I have a blast doing it.

• 3 months later...

Time for a wee update...

It can be a slow process starting a new band, but I'm slowly getting there. :)

So far I've managed to get a drummer (who's only 18, but if he's good, who cares), a guitarist (or 3) and a singer.

We're all keen on Acid Jazz, Breakbeat, Soul, Funk & Drum n Bass.

So far it's only been email communication, but hoping to get a meet up with everyone soon & I've popped a couple of ads for keys & other musicians. So here's hoping.

I'll update when we get together & have our first jam.

• 4 weeks later...

Well we had our first get together on Friday night & it was interesting.

I couldn't contact the original drummer but another one got in touch with me & said he played in a few HipHop/Funk bands & was interested in playing breakbeat, so we all met up. Me, the drummer, the singer & the guitarist.

The singer started off quite wobbly, but I put that down to nerves & fair enough, 1/2 hour into the sesh & he was fine. Not a bad singer either.
The guitarist wasn't able to join us from the start & arrived about 45 mins later (he was on a late shift at work). When he plugged into the rig in the rehearsal room (Laney thing with a 4x10) he immediately drowned out everyone. Thankfully he wasn't too bothered about turning down.
The drummer is probably a typical HipHop drummer. Stoned & can't play over 116 BPM. He wasn't a bad drummer, but he can't play breakbeat & struggles with faster patterns (especially if they have 16th note hihiats).

The singer decided that he doesn't have the confidence to sing (he's never been in a band before), so he left on good terms (still gonna meet up with him just as a friend).
I've decided I don't want the drummer due to the fact that he couldn't hold a steady rhythm & kept disappearing every 30 or so mins for a puff, so it looks like I'm back to square one! Loads of guitarists interested but no musicians.

I think I'm gonna give up on this idea. It'd be different if I lived nearer Glasgow or Edinburgh, but despite there being a college that has music courses & a drum shop, this area is just full of guitarists.

I'm gonna keep an eye out for any bands looking for a bassist see what comes up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update time. :)

A singer got in touch with me who hasn't had band experience, but has sung in a fair few musicals in Perth Concert Hall.
So there's me & the guitarist from the last outing & we met up with him last week. Has a bit of a Snow Patrol voice, but can sing.
I also found out that a friend of mine whom plays guitar, also plays drums & he's keen to play more drums. So he's in. He has a friend who is a multi instrumentalist, so told him to bring him along.
And to top it off, 2 nights ago I went to see one of my friends who's just moved to Perth. He's a DJ/turntablist & can play gadgety things like the Akai MPC & other control surfaces as well as a bit of keys. So he's in too!

& to top it off, they're all wanting a change of musical style just like me, so we're heading down the Acid Jazz/Breakbeat/Trip Hop/Vocal House route.

Result!

All 6 of us are meeting as a band for the 1st time next Wednesday at 9:30pm for a 2 hour play about & to get to know each other. Can't wait!

I've been searching about looking for ideas for a couple of songs to play about with & so far have "Protection" by Massive Attack & "Gonna Be" by Mo'Horizons & maybe something like "So In Love With You" by Duke.

Anyone else got any suggestions that I could look at?

Things along the lines of Jamiroquai, Incognito, Daft Punk, Miloopa, Roy Ayres, Vocal House, Microhouse & the above artists of course.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1361391275' post='1985335']
Wow! What a development. Congrats and good luck!

Suggestion:
Brand New Heavies: "Dream On Dreamer". I also like the bass part on that one.
[/quote]

That's the only BNH song that I have on CD. Worth a shout. Shelter might suit having a male singer.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1361391473' post='1985341']
Hope it goes well. How about head like a hole (nin), or falling awayb(Mordred)
[/quote]

Good songs, but too much like pop music.