Why become a member? ×

Mr Squier and why we should spell his name correctly

skankdelvar

Turns out the Squier musical instrument string company bought by Leo Fender in 1965 and now used as the brand name for Fender's 'value' range was established by Mr Victor Squier, the son of a British immigrant to the USA.

So Squier is actually a British surname and it therefore behoves all of us to spell it correctly.

[quote]
Jerome Bonaparte “J.B.” Squier, a young English immigrant who arrived in Battle Creek, Mich., in the latter part of the 19[sup]th[/sup] century, was a farmer and shoemaker who had learned the fine European art of violin making. He moved to Boston in 1881, where he built and repaired violins with his son, Victor Carroll Squier. To this day their violins are noted for their exceptional varnishes and command high prices as fine examples of early U.S. instrument craftsmanship; indeed, J.B. Squier ranks among the best-known U.S.-trained violin makers and is often referred to as “the American Stradivarius.”

Victor returned to Battle Creek, where he opened his own shop in 1890. In the 1930s, Squier began making strings for the era’s new electric instruments. Fender entered the picture in the 1950s, when the V.C. Squier Company began supplying Southern California inventor and businessman Leo Fender with strings for his electric guitars. In the mid 1960s, Fender purchased VC Squier, but by the seventies they dropped the name entirely and all strings were called Fender. [/quote]

[url="http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/article/20040906/LIFESTYLE08/409060302/Squier-violins-strings-established-international-market?nclick_check=1"]http://www.battlecre...?nclick_check=1[/url]

Edited by skankdelvar

A name spelled "Squier" makes much more sense if pronounced as if a French name ... "skwee-yay".

Couple that with the forenames Jerome Bonaparte (one of Napoleon's brothers) and it isn't too much of a leap to assume that the Squier family were only English for a single generation.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1347351019' post='1799558']
Didn't know Squier was an ex-pat, though...
[/quote]

I never understood what the term "Ex-Pat" meant until recently. Turns out to be another term for Immigrant.
I asked one of my friends who says he's an ex-pat (he's in China) & he said it means "Ex Patriot", So I guess that means "Someone who no longer feels a strong support for his or her country"?

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1347367995' post='1799830']
I never understood what the term "Ex-Pat" meant until recently. Turns out to be another term for Immigrant.
I asked one of my friends who says he's an ex-pat (he's in China) & he said it means "Ex Patriot", So I guess that means "Someone who no longer feels a strong support for his or her country"?
[/quote]

No, it's Latin 'ex patria', just means 'out of your country'. I guess literally 'your fatherland'

edited for further pedantry

Edited by bremen

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1347368659' post='1799845']
No, it's Latin 'ex patria', just means 'out of your country'. I guess literally 'your fatherland'
[/quote]

This is why I love BC. Learn something new every day! :D

(Still another term for immigrant though :P )

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1347373029' post='1799912']
[pedant]Actually it's another term for emigrant.[/pedant]

:lol:
[/quote]

[uberpedant] Actually an expat is an immigrant into his new country and an emigrant from his fatherland; Jack and xgsjx are both correct :lol: [/uberpedant]

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1347373029' post='1799912']
[pedant]Actually it's another term for emigrant.[/pedant]

[/quote]

That depends. My Grandad emigrated from Norway & became an immigrant in England & then emegrated to Scotland (He joined the police in Yorkshire & got stationed in Glasgow).

Edited to add a country! :)

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1347375522' post='1799940']

That depends. My Grandad emigrated from Norway & became an immigrant in England & then emegrated to Scotland (He joined the police in Yorkshire & got stationed in Glasgow).

Edited to add a country! :)
[/quote]

hah, I initially read that as 'He joined the police in Yorkshire & got stoned in Glasgow'

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1347375522' post='1799940']
My Grandad emigrated from Norway[/quote]

Sheer bollocks! Xgsjx is not a Norwegian name, and you totally lack our simplistic outlook on life.

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1347376737' post='1799956']
So duz anywun want to by my Fender Skwire?[/quote]

Maybe. Show your fenders, and I might take the job. Though your gender states "male", and that makes me sceptic.

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1347382379' post='1800047']
Sheer bollocks! Xgsjx is not a Norwegian name, and you totally lack our simplistic outlook on life.
[/quote]

His surname was Watten. He changed it to xgsjx to confuse the british! :yarr:
I think living in Scotland has taken away my simplistic Outlook. The IT bod's just been over & installed a load of rubbish on my Outlook Toolbar.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1347384992' post='1800090']
His surname was Watten. He changed it to xgsjx to confuse the british! :yarr:
I think living in Scotland has taken away my simplistic Outlook. The IT bod's just been over & installed a load of rubbish on my Outlook Toolbar.
[/quote]

Fortunately most of our IT Bods are in India now, but even the ones that aren't don't get anywhere near my laptop, unless they come armed with tasers.

Ex Pat. Someone who left Ireland, shurely.

It's ok, I've got my coat.