Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

should i accept a compromise on a new bass ?

mushers

long story short version bought a ray 35 from dv247 in january had it a couple of weeks noticed some buzzing had a play with setting it up went great but the buzzing kept coming back .
i then took it to a local guitar shop who had a fiddle and handed it back to me with the warning keep an eye on that neck :( a few days later the buzzing returned like a bad movie sequal, took the bass back to dv247 telling them theres an issue with the neck.
was handed back the bass 5 days later buzzing worse than ever ! i mentioned it was worse than before and asked WTF did you do to it, the reply of i set it up exactly the same as that one over there forced me to storm out of the shop.
contacted strings and things who agreed to collect it from dv247 and check it out turns out the neck was buggered had it back in a few days after dv247 had done a set up on the new neck ......
wasnt great but wasnt terrible, had the time today to take it somewhere decent for a set up :) (half the screws in the tuners are on the piss and threaded also)

heres some of the guys notes on work carried out today

This is as good as it gets. frets were leveled nut cut truss rod and action set. theres is a rattle at top end of fretboard caused by relief at bottom end to allow 5th string to play, but i think its the best compromise.
for a new neck the frets were VERY uneven.

ive messed about setting this bass up myself and the action just wont go low without rattles the action still is not low but it plays a lot better after being set up today

so question is

should i send it back to strings and things to sort machine head screws out

and who should pay for the fret leveling ?

should i accept as good as it gets and compromise ? i know its only a 700 pound bass but still i feel it should be better

Edited by mushers

been a lot of mucking about spent maybe 6 hours driving back and forth to dv247 £90 on set ups on 2 different necks but it is 8 months old now well the neck is 6 months old
im not sure i can be bothered to speak with the guys at dv247 i have a feeling they will look at it and go yeah thats fine or do another unset up

The laws on returning goods are a lot more complicated than is widely known. What I do know is that you've lost a lot of your bargaining power by allowing a 3rd party to work on it (though you are allowed to get an expert diagnosis on the problem - just be sure & deny they actually worked on it if you can), even allowing the supplier to work on it reduces your side considerably to the point where you'll be lucky to get your money back; though no harm in demanding it long and loud in the shop; eg. you've lost faith in their ability to deal with the problem but you need it to be resolved.

For eg. I was told that a shop has a legal obligation to ensure a customer's satisfaction with a sale for the first 6 months, after that it's up to you to prove that a fault still exists BUT that may only apply to white goods (kitchen appliances etc) which is my own personal and bitter experience. Though obviously you still have what's left of your guarantee period during which it's the shop's problem & no-one elses.

Your local Trading Standards & CAB can advise on that. But do check with Trading Standards office for chapter & verse - they should also be able to tell you if the shop has a history of complaints which will help you.

FWIW, from what you say & the tech - it sounds like the neck is twisted?

the first neck was twisted the newer neck just had uneven frets which i just paid to be leveled
just had a good smash through some songs and i do like this bass even with its wonky screws in the headstock just a bit peeved its cost me even more money if i added up the fuel and time running back to dv247 the set ups and calls to 0845 numbers probably would have been cheaper to buy a 2nd hand stingray >.<

Edited by mushers

bass now plays ok ish but the only thing i have in the house to compare to is my atk 305 which has a realy low action no buzz and seems far superior maybe its just a different bass so should feel different but now this ray35 has a tainted history, going to give it a little thinking time before lodging a complaint with dv247 and their slack set ups

Edited by mushers

I think that as soon as another shop played with it you lost, [i]if[/i] the vendors want to play hardball. Can you prove that the problem as is now is caused by the condition of the bass as supplied or because of actions taken since? It is at their option what they wish to do, I would approach them politely and explain the situation and look to coming to an agreement, if you go in all guns blazing then they may get their backs up and say "see you in court".

The moral is, if it's faulty return it, stating why it is faulty and what you wish to be done, at the earliest opportunity. As soon as you try to do the decent thing and fix the problem you screw yourself if the problem is unfixable.

Sorry but that's how I see it,

Steve

actually cant find any buzz on this neck whatsoever just measured the height on the E at 12th and its 2.7 mm about .2mm higher than my ibanez it just seems higher no idea why, but it plays without any clanking
sounds great plugged in dont want to return it but i will be mentioning the set up costs ect and travel to dv247

Get a full refund - it's not fit for purpose

[url="http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/understanding-the-sale-of-goods-act/your-rights/"]http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/understanding-the-sale-of-goods-act/your-rights/[/url]

([url="http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54"]Sale of Goods Act 1979[/url])

the bass plays fine after the pro set up action could be lower but as its almost the same as a bass i always thought had really low action i cant complain but i am going to get someone to have a bash and get their opinion on how it plays
only gripe i have at the mo is all the mucking about i have had to do to sort it and the cost

Just as an aside, the reason for complaint would be 'unsatisfactory quality' rather than 'unfit for purpose'. Unfit for purpose is when goods cannot be used for their intended purpose, e.g. if you'd been sold a guitar rather than a bass, but it doesn't refer to the quality of the goods.

As has been already said, you'll probably find yourself on a sticky wicket trying to pursue this now and a diplomatic approach to DV247 is probably your best bet.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1347117012' post='1797148']
The laws on returning goods are a l.

Your local Trading Standards & CAB can advise on that. But do check with Trading Standards office for chapter & verse - they should also be able to tell you if the shop has a history of complaints which will help you.

FWIW, from what you say & the tech - it sounds like the neck is twisted?
[/quote]

No, the law is very clear. It should be of suitable quality and fit for purpose. If if isn't, I'd it has adjusters that don't work, or stuff is wonky, reject it immediately, and do it in writing quoting section 14 of the sale of goods act. Invite them to collect it, but take photos of it before they do.

By all means get another store to give an expert opinion, but do not ever let them change it in any way.
The cost of the item is completely irrelevant - if it's not good enough, reject it

[quote name='gafbass02' timestamp='1347118929' post='1797166']
Sorry to hear that mate. Fwiw I returned a ray34ca for the same reasons. The neck/fretwork was a mess and no set up would fix it. Gutted..until With the same money I bought an early 90's stingray.
[/quote]

woo way to make the OP feel better! :D